Nord G2

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Nord G2

Post by JSRockit » Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:06 pm

Ok, it may be time for me to attempt to get into this synth, which I've always been scared of. However, it is time for me to own a Nord and this one seems to offer everything I want in a synth ie. sequencer, versatility in synthesis, can be used as an effects box, vocal processor, relatively small size, midi capable, etc.

Any help you can offer with the following, especially from actual users past and present, would be appreciated.

What scares me? While I understand synthesis, I've never used a modular environment at all. Are there preset patches that comes with the G2 right out the box so you can see how they made patches on your computer screen? How versatile is the sequencer? Once the patches you design are in the G2, how much can you manipulate those patches using the hardware? Does it sync to your computer's midi clock via USB? Is it, over all, difficult to use?

Also, the 16 step sequencer can be linked to be as long as you need...right? Is this easy to accomplish? Can you enter note info into the sequencer via the hardware or is this something that is imput via software? It appears it works both ways according to the manual. However, building sequencers appears to be a laborious process. Does it come with pre-built sequencers?
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

Mush
Gear: I have all the gear I need.
Band: Mush Orchestra / Rasmus Nyåker

Re: Nord G2

Post by Mush » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:22 pm

JSRockit wrote: What scares me? While I understand synthesis, I've never used a modular environment at all. Are there preset patches that comes with the G2 right out the box so you can see how they made patches on your computer screen? How versatile is the sequencer? Once the patches you design are in the G2, how much can you manipulate those patches using the hardware? Does it sync to your computer's midi clock via USB? Is it, over all, difficult to use?

Also, the 16 step sequencer can be linked to be as long as you need...right? Is this easy to accomplish? Can you enter note info into the sequencer via the hardware or is this something that is imput via software? It appears it works both ways according to the manual. However, building sequencers appears to be a laborious process. Does it come with pre-built sequencers?
1. Yes, you get every patch on screen if the editor is hooked up.

2. The sequencer is okay, but I'd use the Monomachine if I was you as it is much more versitile without need to patch and ability to parameter-locks on midi-CC's. There are 6 external tracks on it, but you know that already... External note-adding is possible, just press the rec-button on the screen interface. It is easy to link sequencers together on screen and it syncs nicely to midiclock. I don't use the G2 sequencers for notes though but more for sound design purposes. The USB however is only for communication with synth-engine and recieves no midi-data, so you need to use midi-interface with it.

3. The patches are totally editable using only the synth except you can't reconfigure the software cabling or add/remove modules. It is just like a normal synth in that sense. You don't even need to setup the controllers on the hardware-side.

To sum it up, I love this beast, but I love the modular environment. It is a tough synth to get in to, but it is worth the time. I base all my music around it and I find myself drawing patches on paper att slow-work-days... If you'd like I can send you some links to the stuff I've made with it, just drop me a PM.

Hope I cleared some questions for you, mate!

Mush

Post by Mush » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:31 pm

Sorry, missed the last question. It doesn't come with patches of pure sequencers. I'd build one for you though any day. It is wasting one of the four slots though. Usually you build the sequencer into the patch, but it is easy to patch up to sequence the other slots, if you want a dedicated sequencer patch. Nice idea, I think I will get into it once I'd get some time to sit down with it next time.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:31 pm

Thanks Mush. I think I might take the plunge. I am down to just a Machinedrum and a Monomachine and feel the G2 could theoritically be anything else I needed to fill in the gaps. I know it'll take me a few years to come to grips with, but so did the Monomachine. However, I think the monomachine lasted my gear whoring adventures of buying and selling just because it is so versatile. I would imagine that there are probably G2 communities out there of patches and stuff right? So if I can't make something, I might be able to find it. I will start simple with the G2 just like I did with the MnM.

Anyone else who cares to chime in, I would appreciate it. This is new territory for me and I'm a bit hesitant.

Mush

Post by Mush » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:41 pm

It is extremely cheap second-hand, so if you are ready to give it a lot of time, just do it!

Here is the forum to hang out at:
http://electro-music.com/forum/forum-43.html

And if you wanna hear it in action or have any questions once/if you get one, PM me.

Cheers!

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:54 pm

Mush wrote:It is extremely cheap second-hand, so if you are ready to give it a lot of time, just do it!

And if you wanna hear it in action or have any questions once/if you get one, PM me.

Cheers!
Great, thanks for your help. I didn't notice there was no Mac OSX universal binary support. That is a bit unsettling.

cebec

Post by cebec » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:33 am

JSRockit wrote:
Mush wrote:It is extremely cheap second-hand, so if you are ready to give it a lot of time, just do it!

Cheers!
Great, thanks for your help. I didn't notice there was no Mac OSX universal binary support. That is a bit unsettling.
UB and Vista support is currently in beta-testing. It will come...

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:03 am

JS, just watching your past usage history, I have a feeling you are not going to gel with an all pc-based modular environment... I mean, I dunno what kind of plug-ins you normally use, but you seem quite content with hardware, and hands on interfaces, and I think you will find yourself not overwhelmed, but maybe over stimulated with the G2... to the point that you find yourself not making music, and therefore want to sell it... just a thought :wink:
Do you even post on vse bro?

reset

Post by reset » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:20 am

JS, I believe you'll be alright with the G2. I only have a Micromod but I still use it on almost everything. Programming it can be as easy or hard as you make it. It's not as mathematical as Reaktor. It is a little bit more fluid. The great thing is that you can have eight variations per patch on the G2 HW IIRC.

On my micromod. eg, I built an ER1 clone plus bass synth. The sequencer steps were controlled from a Drehbank. And that's just on the micromod. Currently, I build a lot of drones on the micromod which I run into the MnM inputs to be gated and delayed (with random lfo on hold time).

I think the key to using the G2 or any NM is to exercise "restraint of potential"when patching and gradually move your way through its endless possibilities.

Don't be scared.
LP TE/MonoMachine/XB09/SH101/09

onetwothree
No Longer Registered

Post by onetwothree » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:56 am

Sir Ruff wrote: you will find yourself not overwhelmed, but maybe over stimulated with the G2... to the point that you find yourself not making music, and therefore want to sell it... just a thought :wink:
This is how I was and it was one of the main reasons I sold my G1. I've now realized that I need it back in my arsenal, and am on the hunt for another.

sentientprogram
Gear: Pro 2, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, Prophet 12, El Capistan, blueSky, Deco, Abelton Live, DX7, RX15, TR-8, Metasonix F-1, MF Drive.

Post by sentientprogram » Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:54 am

reset wrote: I think the key to using the G2 or any NM is to exercise "restraint of potential"when patching and gradually move your way through its endless possibilities.
Amen to that. I just love how I'll sit down to build a simple 2 osc bassline and then two hours later I end up with a screen full of modules and almost an entire random/glitchy/acid track with the press of a single key. :lol:

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:39 pm

Yeah guys, I know I'm a bit of a wackjob when it comes to buying and selling synths...but I think the G2 is going to work for me. First of all, I love the physical size, looks, and idea of the synth. While many buy modulars so they can make patches that can't exist elsewhere in a hardwired synth, I'm am the opposite. I am buying this so I can make the synths I've always wanted ie a 1 osc subtractive synthesis synth with patch memory and a 32 step sequencer and effects, a sine wave synth, a string synth with bit decimation, some simple effects for running other synths through, etc. I am ok with starting dead simple on this unit. Also, I like the 4 part multitimbral-ness. :lol: Basically, I'm going to keep it simple, but design exactly what I want. My needs are not that big...so I think I'll be fine. I may just have a marathon session making all the simple synths I want and then let it sit for a long time, use it, then make new ones when something comes to mind. My only other boxes that don't get sold are swedish...maybe this one will sit well with me too.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:58 pm

reset wrote:JS, I believe you'll be alright with the G2. I only have a Micromod but I still use it on almost everything. Programming it can be as easy or hard as you make it. It's not as mathematical as Reaktor. It is a little bit more fluid. The great thing is that you can have eight variations per patch on the G2 HW IIRC.

On my micromod. eg, I built an ER1 clone plus bass synth. The sequencer steps were controlled from a Drehbank. And that's just on the micromod. Currently, I build a lot of drones on the micromod which I run into the MnM inputs to be gated and delayed (with random lfo on hold time).

I think the key to using the G2 or any NM is to exercise "restraint of potential"when patching and gradually move your way through its endless possibilities.

Don't be scared.
Wow, I just noticed that I will be using the G2 with the same philosophy as you. It's like analog modulars...some people want a wall full of modules, some people want one rack...I'm more of a one rack guy. :lol:

felis

Post by felis » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:24 pm

I usually start with the intention to build a simple synth. But it's so easy and so much fun to keep adding more stuff to see what it can do, that it's hard to resist going overboard.
But yes, it's possible to pre-design a fairly simple idea and stick to it. You can do it pretty quickly too with a little experience.
I also find that there's some things that I use over and over again as a base to build on.

tombola

Post by tombola » Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:30 am

JS i'm convinced you will love the G2 - the interface is so simple and addictive. you can try anything. "what if I made a poly synth with 12 sine oscillators per voice, all jiggling away through free-running sequencers?" 5 minutes later, you have your answer.

I really fell in love with my g2 after watching Zachary Vex demo-ing new pedals on video, and being able to recreate their functionality in minutes.

I have no time for softsynths - great thing about g2 it it's two parts: builing on the screen, then tweaking on the box.

It's also good for damping gearlist: "what if I had a simple 1osc synth with a sequencer with swing?" oh... I do.

my previous g2 coverage: http://musicthing.blogspot.com/search?q=g2