Nord G2

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Mush
Gear: I have all the gear I need.
Band: Mush Orchestra / Rasmus Nyåker

Post by Mush » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:07 pm

It works on your g5. On intel-macs it works too, though it's using rosetta (check up on apple.com if you don't know what it is). I just spent a few hours jamming with mine sequenced by the monomachine and I ran the editor nicely on my macbook... The MNM is wonderful as a sequencer for it though it makes me realize how weak the monomachine is soundwise compared to the G2...

BTW: You have to try it that way JS, you'll love it!
Last edited by Mush on Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mush

Post by Mush » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:10 pm

tombola wrote: What I love about the g2 is the almost complete lack of sub-menus and fiddling about*. Create a module (one click), assign all its parameters to a bank of controls (one click), and its there for tweaking. I had an Ion and various Waldorfs (inc the microwavext) and the tiresome menus made me give up.

Well, I mean, yes, there is a certain amount of fiddling about inherent in the G2. Endlessly thinking 'what if...' an disappearing down a rabbit hole to find out
You don't even have to assign it Tom. Just push the patch button on the G2 and you have all the modules after each others by using the up and down buttons of the navigator.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:16 pm

Mush wrote:The MNM is wonderful as a sequencer for it though it makes me realize how weak the monomachine is soundwise compared to the G2...

BTW: You have to try it that way JS, you'll love it!
Yep, that's the plan...since I still have trouble getting a decent deep bass out of the MnM. I guess the editor will go universal binary soon...since people are beta testing it currently. Why are you selling the MnM?
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

Mush

Post by Mush » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:54 pm

JSRockit wrote: Why are you selling the MnM?
Don't know why to keep it really. I use it as a sequencer sometimes in the studio, but usually I have it in the bedroom so I can sketch ideas while watching tv... An expensive sketch-pad... I've had my machinedrum for ages and I love it. So I thought the monomachine would be "the s**t" for me. However the MnM sounds just boring and weak in my ears and I haven't got the time to get into it so I always use the G2 instead for sounds while recording.

I'm not sure about selling it yet, but I never keep stuff that doesn't integerate in my setup very well. Guess we're kind of the same in that aspect.
:lol:

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:56 pm

Mush wrote:
I'm not sure about selling it yet, but I never keep stuff that doesn't integerate in my setup very well. Guess we're kind of the same in that aspect.
:lol:
You can always use the MD or your computer to sequence the G2 anyway. If it is working for you, then I see no reason for keeping it.

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:28 am

If nothing else, the Nord Modular series can teach you a h**l of a lot about synthesis.

Does the G2 have all the waky digitizer fx and outboard abilities of the original series?
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

Mush

Post by Mush » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:16 am

tallowwaters wrote: Does the G2 have all the waky digitizer fx and outboard abilities of the original series?
Yes. Actually it is so much better in this sense as it has memory for long delaylines. Right now I've been into spektral-delays and making a 4-tap delay with separate band-pass-filters on each tap is so easy and effective. I've also been patching up stuff similar to Abelton Live´s beat repeat. Four inputs and four outputs is another thing making it more than suitable for outboard duties.

Idea gotten while writing this; A midi-synced tap-delay with high-pass-filter, bit-crushing and sample-rate-conversion on each tap with separate settings, probably a killer if you just put a bassdrum through it... Will try it tonight.

Gianni

Post by Gianni » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:23 pm

Hello, I'm considering this synth and have some questions.

1.- How much polyphony does it have?

2.- How much patch memory can it store?

3.- Anyone have a really amazing demonstration to convince me? :D

Mush

Post by Mush » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:55 pm

Gianni wrote:Hello, I'm considering this synth and have some questions.

1.- How much polyphony does it have?

2.- How much patch memory can it store?

3.- Anyone have a really amazing demonstration to convince me? :D
1. From 1 to 32 notes per slot (4 slots) depending on the patch complexity. Usually I end up at 5 notes per slot with all slots loaded on my unexpanded G2. (I really need to buy the expansionboard...)

2. Not sure, but atleast 600 as that is what I got approx... But as it is so integrated with the editor you don't need that many really as you always have copies of everything on your computer.

3. Amazing, I'm not sure, but I use it as the base for everything I record.
* http://mush.niobar.se/ (my drunk-recording project - everything except vocals and drums is G2 or G2-processed real guitars)
* http://www.nuovoinizio.se/dirty-modular.mp3 (a recording for the dirtiest bass thread here at vse)
* http://rasmus.nuovoinizio.se/dirtybass.mp3 (another entry of mine from the same thread)
* http://rasmus.nuovoinizio.se/master.mp3 (me trying to make a persefone like patch on the G2 complete with false tones and all)

Could continue the list forever....

tombola

Post by tombola » Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:16 pm

one of my favourite g2 things is this sample :

http://electro-music.com/forum/phpbb-fi ... 09_124.mp3

of a 909 being processed through the g2's 'string' oscillators

and this is the first thing I ever did - a beatbox surrounded by delays and pitch shifters
http://www.whitwell.ndo.co.uk/musicthin ... s/nmg2.mp3

Also, re: gearlust. I was thinking about buying one of these: http://musicthing.blogspot.com/2008/04/ ... lters.html
so I built one in the G2. I still want one, but for different reasons...

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:40 pm

tombola wrote:
Also, re: gearlust. I was thinking about buying one of these: http://musicthing.blogspot.com/2008/04/ ... lters.html
so I built one in the G2. I still want one, but for different reasons...
Haha, gotta love that you can build one... but yeah, I guess it don't cure GAS.

syncretism

Post by syncretism » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:02 pm

JSRockit,

Here are some things you can do:

A sequencer for the MD.
A patch mutator for the MD - includes audio examples of the mutator in one G2 slot, and the sequencer in another.
A rather good drum machine in its own right.

All of these are for you to use and dissect. The Nord Modular community at electro-music.com does more with the Classic and G2 than Clavia.
Yours,
Niall.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:05 pm

syncretism wrote:JSRockit,

A sequencer for the MD.
A patch mutator for the MD - includes audio examples of the mutator in one G2 slot, and the sequencer in another.

All of these are for you to use and dissect. The Nord Modular community at electro-music.com does more with the Classic and G2 than Clavia.
Thanks. Mush told me about the forum, but I haven't really checked around alot...I will once I have the G2.

megawatt

Post by megawatt » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:13 pm

JSRockit wrote:
syncretism wrote:JSRockit,

A sequencer for the MD.

awesome stuff - The G2 sounds like such a fun snyth with a great community!
I'm really torn between this and the Wave (only if I can find a discounted one though!) - I'm most interested in sample based synthesis now but perhaps down the road will pick a G2 up. Thanks for all the links!
OP-1, RYTM, A4, CS-50, PUSH

syncretism

Post by syncretism » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:20 pm

JSRockit wrote:Thanks. Mush told me about the forum, but I haven't really checked around alot...I will once I have the G2.
That's fair, but I think Mush and I are trying to impress the value and importance of that community upon you. It's a definite reason to buy one.

Clavia's track record for supporting their software-dependent hardware, on the other hand, isn't.
Yours,
Niall.