Electribes discontinued?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:16 pm

JSRockit wrote:
clubbedtodeath wrote:Someone give me an all-analogue Electribe EA-1, and I'll be in heaven.

(I can dream, can't I?)
What's wrong with a Jomox?
A Jomox what? Do they make something other than drum machines and filters these days?

I guess there's that Neuronium thing, but that doesn't really seem comparable to an Electribe, and it's over $3k.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:43 pm

clubbedtodeath wrote:Someone give me an all-analogue Electribe EA-1, and I'll be in heaven.

(I can dream, can't I?)
It wouldn't even necessarilly have to be that expensive considering Next can make those Space Bass analog rack units and sell them for $299. Just essentially throw one of them in an Electribe and they could possibly sell for $499 or less. Of course that will probably never happen.

clubbedtodeath
No Longer Registered

Post by clubbedtodeath » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:42 pm

pricklyrobot wrote:
JSRockit wrote:

(I can dream, can't I?)
A Jomox what? Do they make something other than drum machines and filters these days?

I guess there's that Neuronium thing, but that doesn't really seem comparable to an Electribe, and it's over $3k.
I think JS misunderstands me. I don't want just an analogue synth - I've those already - I want an analogue EA-1. There was something in the character of the EA-1, the simplicity of the interface. A Neuronium it isn't.

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:59 pm

I will probably someday pick up an EA-1 if only to have the MIDI sequencer.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:05 pm

pricklyrobot wrote:
JSRockit wrote:

(I can dream, can't I?)
Oops...my eyes must have been on the fritz...I saw ER-1 last night. I agree on the analogue EA-1...that is something I really want as well.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:29 pm

shaft9000 wrote:Not kidding, simply disagreeing. Is that so hard to fathom? I'm betting the future will be more conducive to dance music, in a nutshell.
Sorry, I knew you were just disagreeing.

I'm 53 so have no real clue what younger players and listeners are into. My opinion is based on the simple fact that all the groovebox sales activity seems to be in the used market where price is a prime factor. When I was younger I always bought used gear because that's all I had the money for. In fact I have never bought a synth that was brand new unless it was some sort of dealer blowout.

The market is always conducive to dance music. DJs in the USA are more popular than ever, having taken over most gigs that used to call for a live dance band (weddings, school dances, dance clubs). So the only real question is what kind of music will people want to dance to in the future.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

PitchBender
Gear: 4 electribes and a case of beer.
Band: Pigslice

Post by PitchBender » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:54 pm

JSRockit wrote: Oh no dount they excel in the ease of use dept... I love the simplicity of their sequencers. However, the resulting sounds are not that great unless you process the h**l out of them.
Ear of the beholder and all that... I like my tribes more than any other gear. Even the lowly ER-1 has a place in my heart. It's pretty easy to get some awesome bass out of it. Snares is another story...
If I could upgrade the RAM and put in a hard drive on my ES-1 I would sell the MPC and never look back.

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:50 pm

redchapterjubilee wrote:I will probably someday pick up an EA-1 if only to have the MIDI sequencer.
it also makes an interesting audio thru FX unit. As long as mine is not used as a bass synth it's allowed to stay in the studio.

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:36 pm

th0mas wrote:
redchapterjubilee wrote:I will probably someday pick up an EA-1 if only to have the MIDI sequencer.
it also makes an interesting audio thru FX unit. As long as mine is not used as a bass synth it's allowed to stay in the studio.
I frequently used my ES-1 as an FX unit when I had it. The EA-1 doesn't have as many FX options though.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:23 pm

pricklyrobot wrote: The EA-1 doesn't have as many FX options though.
The chorus is the EA-1's secret weapon. The maximum speed is 5KHz!!! You can use it to get some cool FM-like effects. Try sweeping the rate and recording that as a motion sequence.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

clubbedtodeath
No Longer Registered

Post by clubbedtodeath » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:27 pm

meatballfulton wrote:The chorus is the EA-1's secret weapon. The maximum speed is 5KHz!!! You can use it to get some cool FM-like effects. Try sweeping the rate and recording that as a motion sequence.
Add ring modulation + pitch sweep on OSC 2 to that. Simple, and lots of expression.

TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Machinedrum UW & Monomachine Mk2's
Korg KP3 & Zero 4
Band: Siesta Submarina

Post by TrondC » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:28 pm

I hope any new model lets you save level changes as motion sequences, if my ESX did, it would be all I ever needed drum wise

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:19 pm

meatballfulton wrote:
shaft9000 wrote:
Sorry, I knew you were just disagreeing.
no worries, meaty! :)
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

aredj
Gear: A little bit of E-muAccessJomoxKorg -
Spectralis2!

Post by aredj » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:01 am

TrondC wrote:I hope any new model lets you save level changes as motion sequences, if my ESX did, it would be all I ever needed drum wise
Do you mean master level? Maybe I misunderstand but I never noticed a lack of volume sequencing...

ronP
Gear: BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO MT-70; KORG EA-1 mkII, MicroKorg, microSTATION, MicroX, Mini-KP, Monotron; ROLAND Micro Cube; ZOOM FS01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B
Band: Keyfish

Post by ronP » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:00 pm

meatballfulton wrote:
pricklyrobot wrote: The EA-1 doesn't have as many FX options though.
The chorus is the EA-1's secret weapon. The maximum speed is 5KHz!!! You can use it to get some cool FM-like effects. Try sweeping the rate and recording that as a motion sequence.

Stated like (me) -- a true "Dig-Dug-Deeper" . . . I use the EA-1 mkII's chorus knob as my mod wheel when playing lead lines . . . set the portamento to 4 or 5 for a bit of old skool glide . . . set one OSC to sawtooth, the other to square, blend the volume mix, shift the pitch . . . and get warm, organic, funky, bright, tuneful tones . . . whatever you might want.

And that's just the tip of the sound engine, sans sequencer!

:)

BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO Casiotone MT-70; KORG Electribe EA-1mkII, microKORG, mini-KP; QUIKLOK T20 T-REX Series X;
ROLAND Micro-CUBE; YAMAHA PSS130, PSS140; ZOOM FS-01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B

Wanted: BOSS DR-110; CASIO CZ-101; YAMAHA CS-01, DX-100