Cheapest build quality?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
8bit9bot
No Longer Registered

Re: Cheapest build quality?

Post by 8bit9bot » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:34 am

I constantly bad-mouth this one on VSE... Korg DW-8000. It is clunky and bulky. Everything feels like its being abused as you use it... the keys feel somehow like a type-writer.

EDIT: I just thought of another one I encountered. The original Novation BassStation. This thing not only sounds like c**p... but it feels like c**p too... and even tho I hate it... I still like how small it is ;)

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Re:

Post by Stab Frenzy » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:01 am

wiss wrote:the pro-one.....might as well been made out of cardboard.
TB-303 actually is made of cardboard. Well the circuit board is anyway, don't get it wet.

The JX-10 sags under its own weight and cracks traces on the PCB, that's a fair definition of poor build quality in my opinion.

Black Tomorrow
Gear: MG-1, V-Synth w/ VC1, Poly800, PSR740, Triton, SHS10, Boss DR770, Stylophone, Hammond M-143, acoustic piano, reed organ, didgeridoo, Garritan library.

Post by Black Tomorrow » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:27 am

+1 for Polivoks. In some aspects, it's built like a tank, but the keys feel cheap, and they squeak when used. At least mine does. Also, the rotary switches for waveform selection feel like they're about to snap off every time I use them.
You can't synthesize love

noisecomm
Gear: Ensoniq ESQs & Sq80s, various Junos & an odd jx-3p, Korg & yamaha units & a Rhodes Suitcase 73. SIG
Band: sick past nine

Post by noisecomm » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:06 am

8bit9bot wrote: EDIT: I just thought of another one I encountered. The original Novation BassStation. This thing not only sounds like c**p... but it feels like c**p too... and even tho I hate it... I still like how small it is ;)

+1 The build quality far surpasses the sonic potential.
Roland-Korg-Ensoniq-Yamaha-Casio-Emu-Rhodes-Wurli-Tape-Digital-Pedals-Brain

StepLogik
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Vorpal Sword, Chain Mail +3, Ring of Invisibility, Staff of the Magi, Boots of Speed

Post by StepLogik » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:44 pm

well there is enough sh-201 hate in this thread but i'll contribute. it really is about the lousiest build quality i've ever seen. ultra-cheap pots/sliders and flimsy case.

when i moved, some of the buttons on the front panel stopped working. i had to open it up and reseat some ribbon cables. the synth is practically empty on the inside.

CapnMarvel

Re:

Post by CapnMarvel » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:20 pm

MrFrodo wrote:I couldn't answer fro firsthand experience. But, I once heard a story from a former Chroma Expander owner. He said that the wooden parts of the chasis started to come apart after a while. Someone else said that the Chroma casing was made of particle board. Is this true?
The Chroma Polaris casing is particle board for sure. Not a very reassuringly constructed synth. Heavy as all get-out though. I've no idea why they didn't just use thin aluminum.

From my experience, though, the winner in terms of bad components/materials right now is the cheaper Roland products and 'pro-sumer' products like the MC-808, the SH-201 - those are some really, really cheap feeling controls on those products.

I'm not a fan of the DSI Evolver components, either, but they're slightly better than the c**p sandwiches on the Roland products. Funny, since 15+ year old Roland stuff pretty much defines 'bulletproof'.
Gear List: A bunch that go 'WHHONNGG!', several that go 'tweedle tweedle' and 'thumpity', and a few that don't make any noise at all but have lots of delightful little lights on them.