Clavinet sounds on the Nord Electro/Stage, any good?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
maindeglorie
Gear: Voyager Select,Little Phatty,ARP Solus,Omni II,Yamaha CS-40M,Prophet 5,Prophet 08,OB-Xa,MaxiKorg,Nord Lead 3,Nord Wave,Eurorack modular, etc.

Clavinet sounds on the Nord Electro/Stage, any good?

Post by maindeglorie » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:48 pm

I have a feeling that a clav just can't be modeled easily, and I'm curious as to the Electro with all it has to offer. So how do you feel about the sound? I'm really mostly interested in the clavinet sounds. I played an elecrtro ONCE and forgot to try them, everything else sounded good. Didn't sound great, but definitely really good.

spookyman
Gear: cheezy machines and some cheap analog stuff

Post by spookyman » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:50 am

It sounds not bad...really not. And you can tweak the sound as you want (FX, EQ, etc...)

The only thing i miss is the release click and that "bite" that is only available on the original.
It is much easier to be a good equipment purchaser than to be a great musician.

c1t1zen

Post by c1t1zen » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:06 pm

The sounds on the Stage aren't really emulated it's a recording of a real Clavinet. In fact I think there are two or three Clavinet sources. You do have the ability to adjust them a bit to your liking. Add more brilliance or middle, etc. I love the Clavinet on the Stage but wished there was also a Harpsichord sound set. I highly recommend the Stage I even like the synth part of it.

OMNI26

Post by OMNI26 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:09 pm

The Nord Electro is my main axe for playing live with my band, and has been for the past 5 years. I love everything about it. The Clav sounds are great, but not perfect. You are right in that it is hard to replicate, either by modeling or sampling. I would rate it an 8.5 out of 10. The great thing about the Electro's Clav, though, is that you can select from all the original pickup arrangements of the Hohner D6 Clavinet, which makes it very versatile for sure. Add to that the great effects on the Electro (in particular the auto-wah or the phaser when used on the Clav patch) and you'll be hard pressed to find a better emulation out there.

In my opinion, if you use Hammond / Rhodes / Wurlitzer / CP-80 / Clavinet sounds anywhere in your music, you won't find a better single source at a better price than the Electro.....especially if you play live.

maindeglorie
Gear: Voyager Select,Little Phatty,ARP Solus,Omni II,Yamaha CS-40M,Prophet 5,Prophet 08,OB-Xa,MaxiKorg,Nord Lead 3,Nord Wave,Eurorack modular, etc.

Post by maindeglorie » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:10 am

And the stage has all the stuff the Electro has, plus the additions, correct?

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:46 am

I also dig the sound of the Electro's "interperetation" of the Clavinet sound. If that's all you want, you should consider either the rack or the 61-note keyboard versions. (Then again, I don't feel a need for a greater number of keys for playing clav sounds.)
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

Denms20
Gear: Korg MS-20, CX-3, SP 100, Roland JX8P, Sound Canvas, Hammond CV, M3, S-6,L-100 Rhodes , Wurly, D-6 clav, Yamaha TX-7, Crumar T-1, Casio CZ-101

Post by Denms20 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:48 am

I got the chance to mess with a used one a while back. As far as the clav goes I'm a little spoiled since I have a D-6 here. It isn't gonna do a clav, nothing does. But it's useful for the type of stuff you'd play on a clav. If I had one I'm pretty sure the clav would stay at home and I'd be satisfied live with the thing. Recording would be another story though.
Hammond CV, M3, s6, Korg MS-20, SP-100, CX-3, Hohner D-6, Roland JX8P, Sound Canvas, Yamaha Tx7, Casio CZ101, Rhodes, Crumar T1
http://www.organdenstudio.com

spookyman

Post by spookyman » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:18 am

It's the same thing in matter of Organ... :D

For live use, i prefer the Nord Stage : it's light, compact, and the sound (with the Motion Sound Leslie) is perfect for gigging !

For recording purpose, the Nord Stage and the Motion Sound stays at home...and i'm moving my Hammond spinet and the 760 Leslie ! It's much more than twice the weight, but it's sounding different, definitly.

Denms20
Gear: Korg MS-20, CX-3, SP 100, Roland JX8P, Sound Canvas, Hammond CV, M3, S-6,L-100 Rhodes , Wurly, D-6 clav, Yamaha TX-7, Crumar T-1, Casio CZ-101

Post by Denms20 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:26 pm

spookyman wrote:It's the same thing in matter of Organ... :D

For live use, i prefer the Nord Stage : it's light, compact, and the sound (with the Motion Sound Leslie) is perfect for gigging !

For recording purpose, the Nord Stage and the Motion Sound stays at home...and i'm moving my Hammond spinet and the 760 Leslie ! It's much more than twice the weight, but it's sounding different, definitly.
I tend to agree with SPooky here unless you use the drawbars a lot, then you'll really have trouble with the Nord.
Hammond CV, M3, s6, Korg MS-20, SP-100, CX-3, Hohner D-6, Roland JX8P, Sound Canvas, Yamaha Tx7, Casio CZ101, Rhodes, Crumar T1
http://www.organdenstudio.com

spookyman

Post by spookyman » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:50 pm

That's right...i prefer by far the real drawbars on my spinet.

But as I am using my organ mostly for backing sounds, without moving the drawbars so much, it's ok. But it's not easy to make a precise change "on the fly" or a very fast change with a complet hand on the Clavia...you can only programm the change and modify it later with the modulation pedal ! Thats not bad in live use...but never so "open" like real drawbars.

I know, in this point...Hammond Suzuki, KeyB, Roland (VK Serie) or Korg (BX-CX Serie) are much more user friendly.

But i also appreciate the other sounds and the ultra light weight (9.7 kg) of the Clavia !