K-Station vs. A-Station

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Tyler2000
Gear: HS-60, MG-1, CS-5, ESQ-1, CZ-101, DR-110, MR-10, MDP-40, EA-1, ER-1, ES-1, Trixer, SDS-9, Califorian 365, toys, guitars, ukes, etc.

K-Station vs. A-Station

Post by Tyler2000 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:31 am

Hey. I've used my friend's k-station alot and recently I've been considering an a-station. I checked the stats on VSE and they seemed to be exactly the same, and I just assumed it's the same sound engine (correct me if I'm wrong), but then I started comparing the front pannels the best I could from the images I googled up. I noticed a few difference, the key one being less control in the mixer and what seems to be less waveforms. Also, no dedicated arp. time knob, but the arp is still there right? Maybe I'm wrong on the waveforms.

Anyway, compare and contrast? Anything I should know about the menus having less in them? IDK.

Thanks.
so what do I put down here now?

severen

Post by severen » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:37 pm

These two synths are almost alike.
but i think k-station is more convenient synth.
LCD

Dano

Post by Dano » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:30 pm

With the latest A-Station OS update, the A-Station and K-Station are functionally identical AFAIK.

The A-Station was my first synth. I'm pretty familiar with it and I know they can be had for less than $150 these days but if you are considering an A-Station then my advice is to check out a Xiosynth before you decide. The Xio can do everything the A & K Station can (It can even load A/K Station patches.) and a whole lot more (multi-mode filter, better arpeggiator, x-gator, filter shape parameter). IMO the Xiosynth does indeed sound "bigger" than its predecessors. The only drawback that I can think of to mention about the Xiosynth (which might not even be a drawback depending on how you'll use it) is that it doesn't have a MIDI IN port.

eucarya

Post by eucarya » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:50 pm

Dano wrote:With the latest A-Station OS update, the A-Station and K-Station are functionally identical AFAIK.

The A-Station was my first synth. I'm pretty familiar with it and I know they can be had for less than $150 these days but if you are considering an A-Station then my advice is to check out a Xiosynth before you decide. The Xio can do everything the A & K Station can (It can even load A/K Station patches.) and a whole lot more (multi-mode filter, better arpeggiator, x-gator, filter shape parameter). IMO the Xiosynth does indeed sound "bigger" than its predecessors. The only drawback that I can think of to mention about the Xiosynth (which might not even be a drawback depending on how you'll use it) is that it doesn't have a MIDI IN port.
I was under the impression that a Xiosynth was a stripped down X-Station and that the X-Station was running the KS Engine which was based on K-Station but a little bit different? I tend to be wrong on lots of things though...

Maybe it's just the hardware, Xiosynth have less controls that X-Station. I think it was also the fact that they are functional audio interfaces that led me to conclude that they somehow were "less than". It seems like Novation just keeps re-releasing their stuff new and improved with more features, they've got "iPod syndrome" or something...

It would be interesting to read a comparison of all the KS-based stuff, what each advantages are. I'm sure A-Station has perks that the K doesn't that the K does that the X doesn't that the X does that the Xio doesn't and "vice versa ad infinitum" ;)...

I'm patiently awaiting a K-Station that is on it's way across the country via USPS Parcel... :P I'll be sure to post my impressions and some sound files once I've gotten it...

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:53 pm

The Xiosynth is also lacking the vocoder and basic FM mode(I believe) that the A & K Station have.

Dano

Post by Dano » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:57 pm

supermel74 wrote:The Xiosynth is also lacking the vocoder and basic FM mode(I believe) that the A & K Station have.
Argghhh - Ya beat me to it! I signed back in just to mention the Xio's lack of a vocoder. The Xio has 2 oscillator FM though. :)

Dano

Post by Dano » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:17 pm

eucarya wrote:
Dano wrote:With the latest A-Station OS update, the A-Station and K-Station are functionally identical AFAIK.

I was under the impression that a Xiosynth was a stripped down X-Station and that the X-Station was running the KS Engine which was based on K-Station but a little bit different? I tend to be wrong on lots of things though...

Maybe it's just the hardware, Xiosynth have less controls that X-Station. I think it was also the fact that they are functional audio interfaces that led me to conclude that they somehow were "less than". It seems like Novation just keeps re-releasing their stuff new and improved with more features, they've got "iPod syndrome" or something...

It would be interesting to read a comparison of all the KS-based stuff, what each advantages are. I'm sure A-Station has perks that the K doesn't that the K does that the X doesn't that the X does that the Xio doesn't and "vice versa ad infinitum" ;)...

I'm patiently awaiting a K-Station that is on it's way across the country via USPS Parcel... :P I'll be sure to post my impressions and some sound files once I've gotten it...
The big thing that the KS4/5 has over the Xiosynth is multitimbrality. What the Xiosynth has over the K Stations and X-Station is the x-gator and filter shape parameter.

t.o.t.s.

Post by t.o.t.s. » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:30 pm

I had the A-Station and traded it in for a K-Station. The menu diving in the A-Station can be a little tedious... I LOVE my K-Station though and use it a lot. I recently picked up a Xiosynth and it's a cool board. Still has a fair share of menu diving but it's a nice variation on the novation theme.. gator... filter distortion, different waveforms... still.. I use the K-Station more than the XioSynth...
totsland.net / chvad.com / 8bitaudio.net / darksonus.com / invisiblerecords.com
Moog LP, SCI Six-Trak, Roland RS09, Crumar Performer, PAIA Fatman, Korg EX-8000, Waldorf µwaveXTK, Novation K-Station, XioSynth, KS4, Alesis Ion, Korg ER-1, Etherwave, MidiNES

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:54 pm

I only know that if I had to choose between the two, I'd choose the A-Station. I''ve always had a bit of a problem with 2-octave keyboards, even if they have got aftertouch.
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:09 am

MrFrodo wrote:I only know that if I had to choose between the two, I'd choose the A-Station. I''ve always had a bit of a problem with 2-octave keyboards, even if they have got aftertouch.
yeah but the A Station has 0 octaves :?

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:15 am

supermel74 wrote:
MrFrodo wrote:I only know that if I had to choose between the two, I'd choose the A-Station. I''ve always had a bit of a problem with 2-octave keyboards, even if they have got aftertouch.
yeah but the A Station has 0 octaves :?
My current MIDI keyboards have 44 (Minimoog Voyager), 61 (Alesis QS6) and 76 notes (Roland JX-10), respectively. And, all three of them have aftertouch.
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

xibalba

Post by xibalba » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:01 pm

Since we have a thread kinda going on the k-station (i dont have one but am thinking of dumping my Nord 2x Rack so i can afford an evolver and this seem like a good/decent alt to a Nord). Anyways on to the question does anyone know if the newest OS eliminates the clicks and pops when switching patches, also does the newest OS update allow for name of patches?

t.o.t.s.

Post by t.o.t.s. » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:41 pm

i never hear any pops or clicks when switching patches.
Moog LP, SCI Six-Trak, Roland RS09, Crumar Performer, PAIA Fatman, Korg EX-8000, Waldorf µwaveXTK, Novation K-Station, XioSynth, KS4, Alesis Ion, Korg ER-1, Etherwave, MidiNES

xibalba

Post by xibalba » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:53 pm

t.o.t.s. wrote:i never hear any pops or clicks when switching patches.
i know some people experience it and others dont. there was/is an old thread about the k-station where a couple people mentioned the clicks and pops.

t.o.t.s.

Post by t.o.t.s. » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:22 pm

Ive got the latest OS installed so maybe that's it? I never used it with the old OS... first thing I did was update when I got it. I've also heard of the posp n clicks thingy but never experienced it. :?