Favorite. Synth. Ever.

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
tom Cadillac
Gear: FS1R, EPS, JP8000, Kaos pad, Ineko, SP606, Mopho, MP7 and so on....
Band: Bipolarbass

Post by tom Cadillac » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:57 am

Yeah its not fair to have favourites with your kids, else they get jealous, squabble and get noisy, which interupts the music flow.... One should treat them all equally. Same with synths in a way. I suppose I have a kind of 'can I sell this?' category. Otherwise though I'm quite aware a Kurzweil k2000 sounds mightier than a casio rapman, but in the right place and on the night... and anyway if I treat them all as equal but v different then I can justify having a lot. If there was "One synth to cind them all", then I'd have a sad ammount in the 'to be sold' :cry: category.
"On the following day , the sorcery undespairingly continued: I changed my series, chose other sequences, cut other lengths, spliced different progressions, and hoped afresh for a miracle in sound." (Stockhausen)

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by monolith » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:04 pm

Hmmmm... I've only actually ever played 2 analogue synths, the Minimoog and Juno-6. The Moog was my introduction to synths, so in my head thats how a synth should sound.
I think the coolest looking synth is the Korg MS-20, it just looks like it means business, y'know?

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:12 pm

at the moment the synth that brings me most joy whenever i use it is Jupiter 8.

why? well many things have been written bout this subject, but in a few lines, it just sounds so damn good, whatever i do with it. and i just love its trademark character be it in the filter, the oscillators or snappy envelopes.

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

syncretism

Post by syncretism » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:39 pm

The Elektron Monomachine SFX6. It's not the best-sounding synth I've owned, but it scores highest when all factors - sound, interface, build quality, manufacturer's support, creativity enablement and sheer joy in use - are considered. It edges out the Sunsyn, which has an excellent interface and sounds better than anything I've owned, and the Machinedrum, which I've disqualified from this thread on a technicality.
Last edited by syncretism on Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yours,
Niall.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:04 pm

I'd have to say my JD-800. Even though I only use a handful of sounds from it - it's pretty much my "go to" synth when I start to write or mess around. It is a perfect balance of digital and (psedo)analog with a slider for every parameter.

Z

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:07 pm

FM8

Apart from a few minor plot holes, it can tell any tale there is when it comes to sounddesign.
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:07 pm

Elektron Monomachine = the only synth that survived my entire GAS attack over the years i.e it was the first hardware synth I bought after using software for many years and I never sold it...even though I bought and sold many synths and rebought many synths.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:14 pm

My favorite synth of all time was the JD800, it's the only one I really regret selling. At the time I thought I'd switch over to just software VSTi's but I'm really a hardware kinda guy and hardly use software anymore :)
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric

blakeq

No Waldorf Love?

Post by blakeq » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:18 pm

Waldorf Microwave XT or XTK. I love it because of the unique sounds you can get out of it in addition to the standard analog sounds.

Second choice would be Kurzweil 2500R, once again because it sounds great and can do so many things.

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:10 pm

V-Synth. It's one of a kind.

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:54 pm

Out of what I've owned? Virus TI.

But I haven't found a synth I can really call my one true favorite yet
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

Mush
Gear: I have all the gear I need.
Band: Mush Orchestra / Rasmus Nyåker

Post by Mush » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:59 pm

Nord modular G2... After owning at least 60 different synths it finally "clicked". Compact, cute and unimaginably deep. She is all I need in a synth and more. Cured most of the disease we know as G.A.S. for me.

voltageHead

Post by voltageHead » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:15 pm

I like the Future Retro Revolution.
Thats one of the synths that i use the most.
I also like the sound of the SH101 I sync the int seq with a tr707 or control it through CV with the Revolution.

Tchammosaur

Post by Tchammosaur » Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:20 pm

CS_TBL wrote:FM8

Apart from a few minor plot holes, it can tell any tale there is when it comes to sounddesign.
I agree. It's just amazing.

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: it's all being sold to fund new gear

Post by wiss » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:06 am

Yamaha SY-2....it was my 1st analog synth.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."