Bargain expectations

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
tom Cadillac
Gear: FS1R, EPS, JP8000, Kaos pad, Ineko, SP606, Mopho, MP7 and so on....
Band: Bipolarbass

Bargain expectations

Post by tom Cadillac » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:49 am

So I keep reading here about all the lucky guys who walk in the thrift shop or whatever and there's a great old synth for peanuts. Its got so bad now that I keep looking out for my turn, when I'm shopping for old books and second hand childrens shoes. What I visualize is a Roland sh09 and I don't knopw why this synth....its something I'd only sell on.

Anyway I wondered if other people had a particular synth bargain visualized and as a chance at self reflection - what does it say about you?
I mean why do I expect something I don't really want? (though of course being a synthead I'd grab it as quick as)...
"On the following day , the sorcery undespairingly continued: I changed my series, chose other sequences, cut other lengths, spliced different progressions, and hoped afresh for a miracle in sound." (Stockhausen)

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:09 am

I use to, but not any more for some unknown reason. I guess mine would of been JP8 with a spliced power chord. Two mins to fix, awesomeness forever for me.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

neandrewthal

Post by neandrewthal » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:22 am

Every time it's garbage night and I see peoples crummy old tables and cabinets out on the curb I imagine one of them will be a Korg PS-3300.

When I caught wind of a "big, black and old" Yamaha synth at a nearby pawnshop I excitedly called the shop asking how much the guy wanted for his CS-30. He wanted $200, the only catch was it was a DX-21.
tom Cadillac wrote: when I'm shopping for old books
Speaking of books, my dream is that one day I'll walk into a thrift shop and find a book that isn't about Star Trek, or written by Danielle Steel, Steven King or Tom Clancey.
Last edited by neandrewthal on Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
What happens at fondue stays at fondue!

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Zamise » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:28 am

Dude you confused a CS-30 for a DX-21, seriousliciously?

neandrewthal

Post by neandrewthal » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:31 am

Zamise wrote:Dude you confused a CS-30 for a DX-21, seriousliciously?

:lol: I didn't see it. I was going by a third-hand report that it was "big, black and old"
What happens at fondue stays at fondue!

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Zamise » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:39 am

neandrewthal wrote:

:lol: I didn't see it. I was going by a third-hand report that it was "big, black and old"
s**t bro, I understand that. Cautious as the wind, hope is great, never hurts to find out I guess.

Zam

Tyler2000
Gear: HS-60, MG-1, CS-5, ESQ-1, CZ-101, DR-110, MR-10, MDP-40, EA-1, ER-1, ES-1, Trixer, SDS-9, Califorian 365, toys, guitars, ukes, etc.

Post by Tyler2000 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:01 am

I frequent thrift stores and street trash religiously. I'm always walking through the toy section in my own world scanning the shelves for SKs and Speak & Xs and PSS's higher than 460. Those are things I actually do find at thrift stores which I then play with for a while and turn around and sell.

Once I found an Ensoniq VFX-SD for $80 and stupidly didn't grab it because I didn't have any headphones to test it and I didn't know what it was. To this day, when I walk in that thrift store I look to the same spot where is was immediately.

That's the sort of synth I picture myself finding since synths didn't seem to make their way to alabama until knobs were "old-school" and little led screens ruled them all. I keep dreaming of that trash score, but I feel like it will never happen.
so what do I put down here now?

bluedad
Gear: Yamaha Motif ES rack/DX7//TG77/SY77/AN1X/MM08 MicrowaveXT/ Korg DW8000/M3r/ Ensoniq ESQ-1 /Mirage Rack/ Nord Micro DSI Mopho Roland Juno 106/D550
Band: Split Second

Post by bluedad » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:54 pm

Tyler2000 wrote:
That's the sort of synth I picture myself finding since synths didn't seem to make their way to alabama until knobs were "old-school" and little led screens ruled them all. I keep dreaming of that trash score, but I feel like it will never happen.
That's not quite true, Tyler. Back in the 80's I worked at what used to be the largest music store in bama. There were Korgs, Moogs, lot of odd brands.
For example, I would be at work early and have a chance to play on a Gleeman Pentaphonic ( it's listed here at VS). There were only 30 made! Forgot the price, but whatever, it was unaffordable for me. I wonder who bought that...During my travels around the state, I stop at almost every pawn shop I see...

AstroDan

Post by AstroDan » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:20 pm

I'd imagine these thrift store find stories will become a lot more seldom since everyone has eBay up all the time and synths are hot s**t. A lot of these "Minimoog for $15" instances probably took place when synthless grunge and metal was in favor and rural areas had no access to any info on what they had.

But that shouldn't discourage anyone from pawn-shopping, because you never know. The plus side is that places that would have had DX-7s for $1000 are forced to be more reasonable in case you don't know their value.
Too futurist to live.

Tyler2000
Gear: HS-60, MG-1, CS-5, ESQ-1, CZ-101, DR-110, MR-10, MDP-40, EA-1, ER-1, ES-1, Trixer, SDS-9, Califorian 365, toys, guitars, ukes, etc.

Post by Tyler2000 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:34 pm

bluedad wrote:
Tyler2000 wrote:
That's not quite true, Tyler. Back in the 80's I worked at what used to be the largest music store in bama. There were Korgs, Moogs, lot of odd brands.
For example, I would be at work early and have a chance to play on a Gleeman Pentaphonic ( it's listed here at VS). There were only 30 made! Forgot the price, but whatever, it was unaffordable for me. I wonder who bought that...During my travels around the state, I stop at almost every pawn shop I see...
That was just my guess since I very rarely see anything around here. I've probably seen less than 10 knobby, vintage synths that I didn't own in alabama. And that's including at shows, etc. Nice to know that they are somewhere around here.
AstroDan wrote:But that shouldn't discourage anyone from pawn-shopping, because you never know. The plus side is that places that would have had DX-7s for $1000 are forced to be more reasonable in case you don't know their value.
I wish. I only see overpriced synths at pawn shops and check whenever I can. Stuff like that DX21 for $300.
[/i]
so what do I put down here now?

Mixolydian
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Mixolydian » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:21 am

neandrewthal wrote:

I've had the same experience. Someone at work told me about a pawn shop full of old synths. After driving across town it turned out to be a few Casio and Yamaha home keyboards.

Another time a friend told me of a professional keyboard he just saw but couldn't remember the name of. I started naming a few, and when I said Jupiter, he said, "yea, that may be it." I rushed over only to find a nonworking General Music Equinox for $400.

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:44 am

I visualize a garage sale and there's a pristine mini sitting there among the piles of dusty books and weird looking clothes
Me How much for this old organ thing?
Old lady Hows $25 sound young fella?
Me Will you take $20?
:lol:

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:44 am

i hope to find a TB303, SH101 or SH01 (this one the most!) "out there" someday. considering my past finds, it's not entirely unlikely, either. the only real downside to cheap, used gear (of which i have almost more than bought-new stuff) is that a lot of it is damaged, missing parts, and FILTHY. i almost always have to clean a new find thoroughly before i'll even consider playing it. it always makes me wonder how someone could own a $1000-plus synth (or whatever), and allow it to be covered in dirt, grime, rust, etc... freaks.

and since it came up, coincidentally, my DX21 came from a yard sale for $20. :lol:

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:46 am

supermel74 wrote: Me How much for this old organ thing?
Old lady Hows $25 sound young fella?
Me Will you take $20?
:lol:
as a rule, i always haggle, regardless of the price. they want two bucks, i'll see if they'll take one. it's saved me literally several hundreds of dollars (if not more!) over the years. oh, and i'd'a said fifteen. :wink: :lol:

also, nice use of the word "organ". i also use "piano-thing" and "keyboard-organ-dealie" in my asking. when referring to old video games, i always ask, "how much for the game tapes?" (or "cassettes"). :lol:

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:12 am

I never find anything worth anything. However, I sure if I did find something, it would just get sold. A wasp, a Yamaha DX, or a Roland CR-78 are things I envision myself finding.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad