Bargain expectations

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:36 am

Tyler2000 wrote:[That was just my guess since I very rarely see anything around here. I've probably seen less than 10 knobby, vintage synths that I didn't own in alabama.
Do you have a modular? I've been trying to figure out if I'm the only person in Alabama who owns a modular. :D
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:39 am

cornutt wrote:
Tyler2000 wrote:[That was just my guess since I very rarely see anything around here. I've probably seen less than 10 knobby, vintage synths that I didn't own in alabama.
Do you have a modular? I've been trying to figure out if I'm the only person in Alabama who owns a modular. :D
I'm guessing that you are seeing as most of Alabama still doesn't have indoor plumbing :P

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:01 am

supermel74 wrote:I'm guessing that you are seeing as most of Alabama still doesn't have indoor plumbing :P
I didn't say anything about indoor plumbing. How do you think I paid for the modular? :P
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, Juno-60, Polysix, Emulator II, DX7, QX1, Arp Odyssey MKII, ESQ-1, Miami, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:17 am

If I found a mini I would be all like:

It's broken, it only plays one note at a time! :wink:

Where is the piano sound!...

Where are the built in speakers...

It's so crappy and big...

It looks so retro and stupid with that wood.

What a dumb organ.

-I'll give you $10 for it.
soundcloud.com/vectron

ramos

Post by ramos » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:23 am

A fellow vintagesynth member found a tb-303 in a guitar store for me, that I'm picking up for 2/5 of the going price in Australia.

Never give up!
Sh-101, tb-303, Juno-6, Jx-3p, TR-808, TR-707, TR-727,Oberheim DMX - Tascam m-312b + ghetto effects

freq

Post by freq » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:27 am

Here in the 'nanny state' UK, charity shops aren't allowed to sell electrical items in case someone gets electrocuted. :roll:

ipassenger

Post by ipassenger » Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:47 am

Freq,

I never knew that!!, the UK sucks.

zoomtheline
No Longer Registered

Post by zoomtheline » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:05 am

just over a year ago I saw a Waldorf pulse in the window of a second hand store for £50, when I went back it had gone! luckily the person who brought it obviously didn't get on with it and it was back in the shop the next week.
The sellers didn't even know what it was so I said i'll give you £20 and that was that! still love that thing!

Couple of weeks later, same shop I saw a CS1x in the window for £80!
I went in and had a go on it and made up some bull about it not working right and the fact the knobs were loose and a couple were missing I got it for £40!

For a couple of weeks at the time I had crazy dreams of finding more bargains... trouble was all the synths were like paper thin and when you held them up they just drooped over your hands! was very weird

pudd86

Post by pudd86 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:23 am

ramos wrote:A fellow vintagesynth member found a tb-303 in a guitar store for me, that I'm picking up for 2/5 of the going price in Australia.

Never give up!
what store was that for interests sake?

Huppo
Gear: V-synth, broken Fusion 6HD, HPD10, MP-7, 60+ guitars, etc.
Band: naught

Post by Huppo » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:19 pm

I have a definite recurring fantasy of finding an EML-101 for sale at a tag sale for $50 or set out with the trash at spring cleanup time. I am so sure this will happen some day that I find myself carefully scanning the contents of trash and tag sales whenever I drive by.
~huppo

Please feel free to add me to your Foes list.

veer chasm

Post by veer chasm » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:48 pm

Juno 6 for $160 in a pawn shop about a year ago...should've bought it!
Past&Present: Moog LP2 SE, Akai AX60, Nord Lead 2X/Rack, Roland Juno 106/JX8P/JX3P/Jupiter 6/Juno 60/HS60/D50, Alesis Ion/MMT8/SR18, Korg DS10
Oberheim Matrix 6R/OB8, Yamaha TG33/PF10, Ensoniq ASR10, Waldorf MicroQ, Peavey DPM SP/SX, Kurzweil k2000S

OMNI26

Post by OMNI26 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:58 pm

Bargain finding stories again? Well, I can't resist, so here are a few of mine:

-Octave Cat SRM.....$30 at local flea market
-Sequential Prophet-5 Rev 3.2......$150 at local "mom & pop" music store
-Roland Jupiter-6.......$150 from same store as above
-Sequential Pro-One.....$125 from local electronics tech who fixed it for someone & they never came back to claim it
-Roland Jupiter-6.......$200 in the early days of Craigslist.com
-Roland TR-808......$50 at same "mom & pop" store as above
-Maestro Phase Shifter......$5 at flea market
-ARP Odyssey & ARP Axxe (both orange & black versions).....$100 each, from guy who heard that I "bought keyboards" from the folks at that "mom & pop" music shop! :) That place is now out of business, though. :cry:

That's just a few, and all happened within the past 7 to 8 years. Going back further, there would be much better deals, of course, prior to that.

And yes, I was the guy with the original "$15 Minimoog" story that someone had mentioned......happened to a friend of mine about 12 years ago. Actually found a beat-to-h**l Mini at a local thrift store for $15!

Running accross these kinds of deals is MUCH more rare today, but still possible. Pawn shops have long since dried up, though.....they are all on eBay now, so they can easily research the values!

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Mon Apr 14, 2008 5:08 pm

I got a yamaha cs-20m for $80 via craigslist just a few months ago.

So it still happens. Its just a lot rarer these days due to ebay and the like.

edit: maybe we could petition VSE to write the "going price" to be lower than market value, of course it'd only help out the buying half of us :D

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:00 pm

The real cheap ones always wind up being a pain for me. The $50 Novation Bass Station Keyboard wound up the 85% working $200 Bass Station after a trip to the tech. Still, I got an Alpha Juno out of it so I can't complain. The other was the $50 ARP Quartet a friend saw at a swap meet and picked up for me. Dude who sold it said the fuse was out. So when i got it I went through it carefully with another tech friend who said it would cost easily another $200 parts for him to fix it minus labor. I sold it for parts on Ebay. Apparently no one's Quartet still works right. I did get my "non-working" Moog Source at a pawn shop for $450. All the presets were wiped and there was bad power in the pawn shop. I got it home and all was dandy.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

D-Collector
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by D-Collector » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:55 pm

The antique/thrift shop down my street has some combo organs for sale, some Yamahas and a Welson I think, which btw. had a really great synth bass with frequency cutoff knob. Along with the old-school preset drums and backing I was able to get a cool version of Oxygene 4 out of it :D
I can not find any information about it on the net though. Any links?

Anyway, I dream about the day I walk into that store and find a Synthex in the corner with the tag "old organ, 15$". :wink: