Spectral Audio Neptune II

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
micahjonhughes

Spectral Audio Neptune II

Post by micahjonhughes » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:13 pm

The Neptune II looks to be a good buy and demo's I've heard are pretty good. But I've not been able to find as much info as I'd like.

Does anyone know whether the lfo and envelopes are analog or digitally generated?

What are people's general perception of the synth?

Thanks

droolmaster0

Post by droolmaster0 » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:38 pm

I played on one briefly, and I thought it sounded quite good, actually. For more in depth commentary, you might search Harmony Central - Don Solaris has praised this synth several times in that forum.

Don Solaris
Gear: I got almost everything you would ever want.

Post by Don Solaris » Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:15 pm

I have one. It is very bright sounding synth and its oscillators are a little bit too stable. No Moog basslines here, but for the money, it is worth the investment. I actually use it for special effects stuff, modulations and external processing - it is unbeatable in this area (can do things even my Korg MS-20 can't).

It is also possible to do Physical Modeling. For the "driver" i use its white noise generator, for the "resonator" the high pass filter and the "delay line" is the mixing console + simple delay processor. Here is the result:

Mad Pipe - an example of physical modeling

See here for more sound examples, descriptions and comments.

sizzlemeister

Post by sizzlemeister » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:17 pm

I have one. I put a demo up in the listening lounge months ago:

http://www.vintagesynth.org/phpBB2/view ... 250a21c48a

Great synth. It's in this track, too.

http://www.vintagesynth.org/phpBB2/view ... hp?t=36985

I used it for bass on something - forget which track. If I find it I'll post it. It made for a really nice bass track FWIW.

It is a bright synth, but when you use the filter envelope tracking parameter properly the filter has a nice wide range that can be tamed. The brightness is ideal for its F & FM capabilities. You can always throw a high shelf EQ across it to darken it up - I'd rather have to do that than use EQ to create top end.

micahjonhughes

Post by micahjonhughes » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:22 pm

sizzlemeister wrote:I have one. I put a demo up in the listening lounge months ago:
Sizzlemeister, I started my research by listening to your demo, very nice. At this point I'm most concerned with its bass abilities. It doesn't need to sound like a Moog, but I'd like it to produce some good low end. I'd love to hear the track where it produces the bass.

sizzlemeister

Post by sizzlemeister » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:25 pm

Are you watching that one on Ebay? Is there a hurry? I'd have to run and turn on the studio computer if that's the case. It can defnitely do bass of the three oscillator meaty sort - you're not going to think it can do it when you first start twiddling with it, but once you get used to it the Neptune can do quite a lot of stuff. I bought mine new and don't regret at all paying full price for it.

Don Solaris

Post by Don Solaris » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:29 pm

micahjonhughes wrote:I'd love to hear the track where it produces the bass.
No tracks, but i put some small samples online:

3 osc deep
Single oscillator SQR

High end example:

FM example - goes all the way up to 22 kHz. Some people like this, some not. I prefer the warmer/darker sound, but i won't complain here, cause no other analog that i have that can go that high in frequency. In fact it goes all the way up into ultrasound - if you want to have fun with bats. :lol:
Last edited by Don Solaris on Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Don Solaris

Post by Don Solaris » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:42 pm

Here is a spectral view of FM example. As you can see, there is no slight roll-off as on classic analogs above 10kHz. Instead power is linear all the way to 22 kHz. As a result, with fully open filter, you will lose the bass. You need some kind of high shelf eq + compressor for FAT basslines.

micahjonhughes

Post by micahjonhughes » Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:44 pm

Thanks for all the samples and tracks. I've been looking for a (at least) two osc, two envelope, true analog. It is hard to find a vintage with those specs below 1200 (The Odyssey and MS-20 price are really high right now) and the modern synths have more digital innards that I desire.

The on on the Bay is what brought my attention to the Neptune, but the full price from Analog Haven seems very reasonable if the glitches have been corrected in the current stock. Any one know if that has happened?

sizzlemeister

Post by sizzlemeister » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:12 pm

I got mine from Nova. Haven't looked, but when I got mine it was $50 less than AH. AFAIK all of their units went to the tech to have the one outstanding issue repaired (MIDI tracking). Mine works fine.

Dreamtronix

Post by Dreamtronix » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:09 pm

There's one for sale here, but it's only got five hours left.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Spectral-Audio- ... dZViewItem
Roland: Jupiter-8, Jupiter-6(x2), MC-808, MP-600, RS-09,

Yamaha: CS-30, SK-15

felis

Post by felis » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:59 pm

Don Solaris wrote:Image

Here is a spectral view of FM example. As you can see, there is no slight roll-off as on classic analogs above 10kHz. Instead power is linear all the way to 22 kHz. As a result, with fully open filter, you will lose the bass. You need some kind of high shelf eq + compressor for FAT basslines.

What program did you use to get that analysis?

micahjonhughes

Post by micahjonhughes » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:54 pm

I purchased the one that was on Ebay. Thanks for all the information that led to a quick decision.

Don Solaris

Post by Don Solaris » Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:06 pm

micahjonhughes wrote:I purchased the one that was on Ebay. Thanks for all the information that led to a quick decision.
I'm glad that you grabbed one! For the money, you can't beat it. And i hope you will like its sound.
felis wrote:What program did you use to get that analysis?
That is just a basic spectral display. This one comes from Cool Edit, but there are dozen of progs that can do that. I know the "Spectran" software is freeware.

sizzlemeister

Post by sizzlemeister » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:12 pm

Uh-on! The last time someone bought something on my recommendation (partially, at least, I realize there are other people recommending it, too, still...) it didn't work out so well.

I WARN you right now - it will probably disappoint you at first. You have to get used to it - the filter and the filter envelope level, and the 3rd oscillator section with its matrix will throw you, especially.

If your experience is like mine, you'll find the crazy sounds first, then after that you'll find the "regular" sounds.

Enjoy!