Fattest polysynth ever made

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Leeroy Jenkins

Fattest polysynth ever made

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:39 am

I have read that the Yamaha CS80 is the fattest polysynth ever made. Anyone care to dispute that claim?

radiospace

Post by radiospace » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:44 am

It certainly might be the heaviest polyphonic synth ever made...

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:46 am

Depends on what units you're measuring with, and also if you're using a logarithmic or linear scale.

Dave Bryce

Post by Dave Bryce » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:19 am

radiospace wrote:It certainly might be the heaviest polyphonic synth ever made...
GX-1 wins that award, I think. :idea:

Might be more accurate to say that CS-80 is probably the heaviest polysynth that any of us stand a chance of ever owning. ;)

dB
Alesis Andromeda (x2)/QS8/QSR/NanoBass/Ion, Casio VZ10M, DSI PEK (x2)/PER/MEK/P'08, Korg M3/WSSR/M1R, Kurzweil K2000/PC3, Macbeth M5, heavily modded MiniMoog, Nord Electro 2, Oberheim OB5, Roland V-Synth XT/MKS80/MKS70/JD990/D550, Yamaha MOTIF ES8

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Fattest polysynth ever made

Post by Yoozer » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:05 am

Leeroy Jenkins wrote:Anyone care to dispute that claim?
Find me a good description of the word "fat" that everyone here can agree on, and we'll get back to you.

PS: 8 Macbeth M5's controlled by a MIDI splitter
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

sam
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by sam » Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:33 am

My memorymoog in unison shakes the windows... :D
Lam memorymoog.Sonic six.Vp330 mk1.SH101.OSCar.ARP odyssey..multivox mx3000.Solina stringsynth.polivox
ms20/50.Andromeda. OBX.
Prophet 5 Pro-one. Wasp.EMS AKS.

Jexus

Re: Fattest polysynth ever made

Post by Jexus » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:16 am

Yoozer wrote:
Leeroy Jenkins wrote:Anyone care to dispute that claim?
Find me a good description of the word "fat" that everyone here can agree on, and we'll get back to you.

Resembles ARP2600 most, if you ask me.

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:32 am

id say CS-80, OBX/4voice/8voice, Chroma and Memorymoog each in its own way.

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:47 am

I insist that anyone posting in this thread must state units and the methodology they used to get results to measure fattness, otherwise don't post at all.

Any unscientific measurements will be removed by our crack team of nazi moderators.

jupiter8

Post by jupiter8 » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:20 am

Stab Frenzy wrote:I insist that anyone posting in this thread must state units and the methodology they used to get results to measure fattness, otherwise don't post at all.

Any unscientific measurements will be removed by our crack team of nazi moderators.
I had a synth specially made for this purpose with zero phatness so i just play it with the synth i want to measure and reverse the polarity so the nonphat parts cancel out and you're left with just phat.

I contemplated getting one with the polarity reversed but decided against it for several reasons:
1. If you measure a really low paht synth the result can be difficult to hear
2. The resolution of digital summing is much higher than analog so i wanted the polarity change done in digital.

Anyways after doing extensive testing i found the MemoryMoog was about 3.4 % more phat than the CS80 and the Korg PS 3300 about 7.6 % more phat. I guess you can't beat more oscillators when it comes to phat. My measuring equipment was a bit flakey that day so you might want to take it with a grain of salt. Mmmmmm salt and phat. My favourite combo.
Last edited by jupiter8 on Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:29 am

The Memorymoog.

Measurement: 3 Moog oscillators per voice x 1 Classic Moog ladder filter = a rating of 3 on the Richter scale for fatness (i.e. very fat!). In theory of course, I've never seen or played on in person.

CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Post by CS_TBL » Mon Apr 21, 2008 12:17 pm

totally subjective of course, but:

-imho-

What makes a sound fat:

- it behaves as if it was an acoustic sound played by a human
- it has a well-balanced spectrum, not too stingy at some freqs
- sounds that emulate an ensemble (strings e.g.) should sound like that ensemble, and not sound like a single player and a chorus. But this may be a personal taste. I don't want to hear that obvious LFO waveform in an ensemble sound. In the most ideal case I'd really like something like 12 individual voices, each with its own LFOs and sound/pitch/volume fluctuations and then play one note with it. The sound should be uniformly fuzzy and meaty.. that's what I call 'fat'.. :P
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids

sensorium

Post by sensorium » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:23 pm

OriginalJambo wrote:The Memorymoog.

Measurement: 3 Moog oscillators per voice x 1 Classic Moog ladder filter = a rating of 3 on the Richter scale for fatness (i.e. very fat!). In theory of course, I've never seen or played on in person.

Actually, the Memorymoog used Curtis 3340 chips as opposed to the Moog oscillators.

Back to this whole fat thing. I have a Memorymoog, and my vote goes for it (curtis oscillators and all), but I think people get carried away with fatness.....Try getting an 18 osc saw lead in unison, or even an 18 osc pad, to sit in the mix. When using the Mm, I normally use 2 osc's and sometimes disable voices (for mono) just to make a mixable patch...

Johnny Lenin
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: JX8P | AX60 | Little Phatty Stage II | DW8000 | Vox Jag | Fantom X6 | Juno-G | P-Bass | AS-120 | Double Jet

Post by Johnny Lenin » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:12 pm

Try getting an 18 osc saw lead in unison
Supersaw!

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:33 pm

As always, I say we hearken back to the origin of the word, which came about when 1970s synthesizers were compared to Moog modulars. The Moog modulars had something that the others didn't, which was a very warm, broad, thick sound.

If that is the basis for "fat" (and it should be), I would have to agree that the Memorymoog probably wins for fatness. (I've heard a lot of complaints from Memorymoog owners that it is difficult to sit the Memorymoog in a mix because of this audio quality)

I have a CS-50, which uses the same oscs and filters as the CS-80, and it is definitely fatter than most polysynths I've owned or played, so I have to say that the CS polys are up there.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay