Just bought my first monosynth!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50
Band: ArtWithHeart

Just bought my first monosynth!

Post by iProg » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:41 am

Sneaked a Pro-One on eBay!

Marillion here I come :D

Big Gnome
Gear: E-mu Proteus 2500
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Ensoniq VFX
SCI Prelude
Waldorf Blofeld
Band: The Nondescript

Post by Big Gnome » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:01 am

Congratulations, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I've kinda been wanting one lately myself, for much the same reason... ;)

"Rugger is the tops, a game for men, they say..."
"Sure that's fine in practice, but what about in theory?"
Some of my c**p

qube
Gear: Logic 10, loads of plugins.
Band: Perge

Post by qube » Tue Apr 22, 2008 2:38 pm

Mark Kelly is (or at least was) the king of the monosynth, his solos are particularly difficult to play.

"an irritating speck of dust that came from absolutely nowhere!"

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, DX7, TX7, Juno-106, AX60, Pro One, S1000, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Tue Apr 22, 2008 4:02 pm

Smart addition to your setup. Now you have a little bit of everything.
soundcloud.com/vectron

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50

Post by iProg » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:22 am

Alex E wrote:Smart addition to your setup. Now you have a little bit of everything.
Thanks!
I thought just the same when I was looking for it! Thinking: -This is the kind of synth I'm missing and that I will have plenty of use for.

@ qube:
Mark is an amazing player. I'm very inspired by Marillion's work, especially the classic era with Fish. I got som skills too, but Mark's playing has a certain edge to it that many players will never grasp.
His playing is a lot more tasteful than Keith Emerson or Rick Wakeman, although they are considered the foremost key wizards in classic progressive rock.

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by iProg » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:56 am

Does anyone have any cool programming tips for the Pro-One?

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:38 pm

I would advise first and foremost in learning to make very slight turns of the knobs, especially for Osc tuning.
The controls for the envelope generators have an odd sweep, which will take some getting used to, so try them out in their full range early. They're very snappy, often too snappy!
For Polymod, only the LFO is bipolar. OscB and FiltEnv are summative. The wildest modulations come from using OscB in LowFreq mode and combining with the LFO to mod Osc1 and/or self-oscillating filter.
For bass, always use the triangle on OscB with one other waveshape.(not two others) Naturally, that deep bass is only achieved with cutoff at 0 and only modest Envelope mod with little or no resonance.
And finally speaking of resonance, it's true some of the range below 200hz is lost as resonance approaches self-oscillation, but mostly the volume is just decreasing, so learn to adjust the volume in some proportion to resonance!
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

haricots
Gear: 5U modular, Tetra MAPS, MD UW, XS, 777, Pro One, JX-3P, Wavestation, Pulse+, Drumstation, S-760

Post by haricots » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:28 pm

Here's the manual online > http://www.seersystems.com/reprints/www ... ion-1.html

If I remember correctly, if you set the arp switch to the bottom location you can set the LFO to retrigger mode instead of free run.