Just got a JP8000

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Suburban Bather
Gear: Wretch Machine, Oberkorn3, Monotribe, TR-626, FX

Post by Suburban Bather » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:44 pm

alan partridge wrote:quite a lot more distinct 'character' on the 8000 than with a lot of VAs, IMHO.
Ah-Ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist. I need to pick up that show on DVD.

JP-8000 is a steal compared to other VA's, I love it. Paid $500 for mine.

jp8080

Post by jp8080 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:16 am

Anybody got some jp80x0 patches to share?

I'd love to have a dump of people's banks to load into mine.

Suburban Bather

Post by Suburban Bather » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:37 am

jp8080 wrote:Anybody got some jp80x0 patches to share?

How would you go about doing that? I've never tried to upload or download patches before.

bgi

Post by bgi » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:33 am

Syn303 wrote:i had both a JP8000 and an 8080 a good few years ago, hated both of them, even though i dug into them deeply, just bloody horrible imo.
That's cool. Some people hate them while others love them. The prior group helps keep the price down for those of us who think they're pretty darned cool. :)
Yamaha YPG-625, MO8, AN1x; Roland JP-8000, D-550, JD-990; Korg Legacy Collection; Guild D50, Epiphone Sheraton II, Homemade 8-string bass guitar

bgi

Post by bgi » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:38 am

Suburban Bather wrote:
jp8080 wrote:Anybody got some jp80x0 patches to share?

How would you go about doing that? I've never tried to upload or download patches before.
plug the synth into your computer, use a MIDI sysex capture program (sysex explorer on mac, midi-OX on PeeCees) and dump away. Easy.
Yamaha YPG-625, MO8, AN1x; Roland JP-8000, D-550, JD-990; Korg Legacy Collection; Guild D50, Epiphone Sheraton II, Homemade 8-string bass guitar

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri Apr 25, 2008 9:17 pm

What's a "good" price on one of these? I was very surprised to see a jp8000 in my local guitar center today for $350... something tells me that's a good price, particularly for the normally overpriced GC.... The only fault-it was obviously well used-was the the PWM slider didn't seem to work on osc 2, and there were some slightly wobbly knobs...I have to say I DID like the sound, possibly even more than my NL2 (that says a lot considering I only played the damn thing for like 15 minutes).... should anything be stopping me from going back to get it? :lol:
Do you even post on vse bro?

Suburban Bather

Post by Suburban Bather » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:11 pm

Thanx Bgi, I'm on Mac btw. So my Mac transfers patches via USB midi interface and the sysex explorer program?
Sir Ruff wrote:What's a "good" price on one of these? I was very surprised to see a jp8000 in my local guitar center today for $350... something tells me that's a good price, particularly for the normally overpriced GC.... The only fault-it was obviously well used-was the the PWM slider didn't seem to work on osc 2, and there were some slightly wobbly knobs...I have to say I DID like the sound, possibly even more than my NL2 (that says a lot considering I only played the damn thing for like 15 minutes).... should anything be stopping me from going back to get it? :lol:
$350 is a damn good price, but the catch is the non-working PWM slider + knobs. PWM is one the most important features IMHO. I'd skip it and grab one at a higher price. I paid $500 for mine and thats the usual price I see them go for on Ebay, well between $500 and 600. I'd rather pay more for a FULLY functioning synth than less for a hand me down condition synth.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Sir Ruff » Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:33 pm

Suburban Bather wrote:Thanx Bgi, I'm on Mac btw. So my Mac transfers patches via USB midi interface and the sysex explorer program?
Sir Ruff wrote:What's a "good" price on one of these? I was very surprised to see a jp8000 in my local guitar center today for $350... something tells me that's a good price, particularly for the normally overpriced GC.... The only fault-it was obviously well used-was the the PWM slider didn't seem to work on osc 2, and there were some slightly wobbly knobs...I have to say I DID like the sound, possibly even more than my NL2 (that says a lot considering I only played the damn thing for like 15 minutes).... should anything be stopping me from going back to get it? :lol:
$350 is a damn good price, but the catch is the non-working PWM slider + knobs. PWM is one the most important features IMHO. I'd skip it and grab one at a higher price. I paid $500 for mine and thats the usual price I see them go for on Ebay, well between $500 and 600. I'd rather pay more for a FULLY functioning synth than less for a hand me down condition synth.
hmmm... yeah, I mean, pwm always seemed to be on with the pulse wave selected... but everything else worked... of all the functions not working, that was one I prolly wouldn't miss. It WAS in pretty decent condition... I mean, to look at it, it was fine. Just a few looser knobs and one (single function) slider not working... it was definitely fun to play.. somehow more immediate than my NL2... wonder why. I think having slider envelope is a big factor in making a synth more immediate.

Suburban Bather

Post by Suburban Bather » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:01 am

If your cool with the PWM on OSC 2 not working then I guess you should grab it. On Osc 1, only the square wave has PWM. I don't think you will ever see a JP-8000 that low again. Personally, I'm a PWM w***e, so I would walk on by on that deal. Does GC allow you to return used gear? If so buy it now and put it through its paces.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Sir Ruff » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:47 am

Suburban Bather wrote:If your cool with the PWM on OSC 2 not working then I guess you should grab it. On Osc 1, only the square wave has PWM. I don't think you will ever see a JP-8000 that low again. Personally, I'm a PWM w***e, so I would walk on by on that deal. Does GC allow you to return used gear? If so buy it now and put it through its paces.
this is more questioning my like of my NL2 than anything... I couldn't have both.. :roll: Tempting to just grab it anyways.

bgi

Post by bgi » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:09 am

Suburban Bather wrote:Thanx Bgi, I'm on Mac btw. So my Mac transfers patches via USB midi interface and the sysex explorer program?
I was away from my Mac and botched the name. It's Sysex Librarian.

You'll need a MIDI interface. I really like the Edirol 3-port USB one. Good price for 3 ports.

http://www.snoize.com/SysExLibrarian/

You'll need to enable sysex functions on the JP. I forget how. It's not hard.

Suburban Bather

Post by Suburban Bather » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:24 am

bgi wrote:
I was away from my Mac and botched the name. It's Sysex Librarian.

You'll need a MIDI interface. I really like the Edirol 3-port USB one. Good price for 3 ports.

http://www.snoize.com/SysExLibrarian/

You'll need to enable sysex functions on the JP. I forget how. It's not hard.
Cool beans! I have a Motu Fast Lane USB interface. Every once in a while I have to un-plug and plug it back in but hey, I guess thats what you get for $60. One of my buddies has a similar issues with his Midi Sport 2x2. I've got a PDF of the JP-8000 manual on my Mac(if anybody needs it i'll upload it).

bgi

Post by bgi » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:14 pm

Suburban Bather wrote: JP-8000 is a steal compared to other VA's, I love it. Paid $500 for mine.
Price an AN1x lately? :) Cheaper than a decent MIDI controller. Nice keybed with aftertouch, full VA synth more flexible than the JP8K. Different sound. Pick them up for under $300US.

SickMonkey

Post by SickMonkey » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:26 pm

bgi wrote:
Suburban Bather wrote: JP-8000 is a steal compared to other VA's, I love it. Paid $500 for mine.
Price an AN1x lately? :) Cheaper than a decent MIDI controller. Nice keybed with aftertouch, full VA synth more flexible than the JP8K. Different sound. Pick them up for under $300US.
Kind of weak in the knobs'n'faders department, though...

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Sir Ruff » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:49 pm

SickMonkey wrote:
bgi wrote:
Kind of weak in the knobs'n'faders department, though...
yeah, I have always heard great reviews of the an1x, BUT the limited knobs would start getting annoying (based on my 10 minute play at a music store :roll: ... I kind of prefer all or nothing in a way... the jp8000 has everything right there.. no menus.