Just got a JP8000

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
bgi

Post by bgi » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:31 pm

SickMonkey wrote:
bgi wrote:
Suburban Bather wrote: JP-8000 is a steal compared to other VA's, I love it. Paid $500 for mine.
Price an AN1x lately? :) Cheaper than a decent MIDI controller. Nice keybed with aftertouch, full VA synth more flexible than the JP8K. Different sound. Pick them up for under $300US.
Kind of weak in the knobs'n'faders department, though...
True. There's more power buried under the control matrix. The JP is more or a real-time performance instrument.
Yamaha YPG-625, MO8, AN1x; Roland JP-8000, D-550, JD-990; Korg Legacy Collection; Guild D50, Epiphone Sheraton II, Homemade 8-string bass guitar

bgi

Post by bgi » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:34 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:
SickMonkey wrote:
bgi wrote: Price an AN1x lately? :) Cheaper than a decent MIDI controller. Nice keybed with aftertouch, full VA synth more flexible than the JP8K. Different sound. Pick them up for under $300US.
Kind of weak in the knobs'n'faders department, though...
yeah, I have always heard great reviews of the an1x, BUT the limited knobs would start getting annoying (based on my 10 minute play at a music store :roll: ... I kind of prefer all or nothing in a way... the jp8000 has everything right there.. no menus.
There are a number of JP8000 functions that have no dedicated control. You do need to do some digging to be able to tweak all of the parameters. While it would be nice to have a dedicated knob for every function, it just ain't the case.
Yamaha YPG-625, MO8, AN1x; Roland JP-8000, D-550, JD-990; Korg Legacy Collection; Guild D50, Epiphone Sheraton II, Homemade 8-string bass guitar