Need advice on buying a Moog Voyager

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
JWOLFORD

Post by JWOLFORD » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:26 pm

JSRockit wrote:
7Hz wrote: although I don't understand why you dont go for the latest model with more memory and non noisy lights.
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
$$ is exactly I am not going for a new model with non noisy lights.
I am already overbudget purchasing a used or B-Stock Voyager. So getting a new one is not an option. I am limited to ebay/craigslist/blowouts etc...

I like the company that I placed the order with, I don't want to believe it was bait and switch. It was a blowout item, so I can't hold a grudge against them. I am being offered a Performer model (new memory- V3/no lights) for the same price, which is still a good deal. But I really want the lights. I like the blue, I might go for fire, jade, or indigo if money was less of an issue. But "settling for" electric blue is fine by me!!

I may have found a used AE model on the East Coast in my price range. Waiting to hear about that. This one would be good, as I have friends in the area that could check it out first.

I've not done a transaction of this size on ebay or any other market. Does anyone have any advice for me before I buy a synth I've only seen pictures of from someone I'll never meet?

synthetic88

Post by synthetic88 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:09 am

Always be careful on eBay, look at the seller's previous auctions and feedback.

I have a Signature Series and love it, totally silent backlight. I'm not sure I need 967 presets on a Minimoog :shock: but what the h**l. I'm not sure what the other version 3 features were since mine was preinstalled with that.

My advice is to save up another few months and buy the synth you want. Not used, rackmount, etc. get The One. Just don't buy it on credit cards or it will cost you double in the end.
Andromeda • Voyager • Super Jupiter + Programmer • TX-802 • Two GigaStudio PCs
http://www.jefflaity.com/studio

7Hz

Post by 7Hz » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:38 am

synthetic88 wrote:My advice is to save up another few months and buy the synth you want. Not used, rackmount, etc. get The One. Just don't buy it on credit cards or it will cost you double in the end.
Top advice there!
MPC-4000, Jupiter 6, Pro-One, MS-10, Arp Axxe, Ensoniq VFX, MKS-30 + PG200, (Casio VL Tone, Drumtrax, R5, DR-110...)

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Post by hfinn » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:32 pm

I'm having a hard time finding a voyager. I'm even looking to possibly trade my 8 voice OB-X for a Voyager (local in Boston) and still no offers. Of course I'd be looking for a little extra but still!

b3groover
Band: THEO

Post by b3groover » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:01 pm

Since this synth is so expensive, I would try to find one locally. That's what I did; I really wanted a Signature Edition, so I perused eBay and my local craigslist and found one in Detroit (about 90 minutes from me) for a reasonable price. Emailed the guy with my phone number, spoke with him on the phone, drove to check it out and not only bought the machine, but made a new friend (the guy had wall to wall vintage synths including a MemoryMoog, Synthi, ARP 2600, Minimoog, Korg PS-3100, etc.)

Wait for the one you want to turn up locally.

JWOLFORD

Post by JWOLFORD » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:52 am

Good advice guys.
The more I look, the more sense it makes to buy new.

The hassle involved in securing a used Voyager is beginning not to be worth it. A "good deal" on ebay looks to be about $2300 for an Electric Blue with the old memory.
If I factor in shipping, the quiet backlight upgrade and the memory upgrade, I am damn near the cost of a new Voyager. And all this for a synth who's history I don't really know.
The upside is these things seem to retain their value pretty well.

Unless the Voyager deal of the century reveals itself to me soon, I think I may go for a brand spanking new one.
Sometimes (as I was warned here) it just does not pay to save a few bucks.

Thanks again for all the good feedback.

This opens up a whole new set of problems. What cabinet/color scheme do I choose. Jesus. If that is my biggest problem, life is truly good.
I saw the Voyager photo thread on the Moog forum, any other good places to see good pics of the Voyager variations?

JWOLFORD

Post by JWOLFORD » Thu May 01, 2008 10:06 pm

A brand new Voyager with a Fire Backlight and a Cherry finish....
Ver 3 memory and Quiet II technology.
Arrives at my door next Wednesday.

Just a little more than those nuts are selling used ones on ebay for.
Man, is the used Voyager market inflated!! I guess it's a good sign that they retain their value. I'd expect no less. But there are some really BAD deals on ebay.

I can't wait!!

Thanks for all the help and advice guys. I'll post pics when it arrives.
Last edited by JWOLFORD on Thu May 01, 2008 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Thu May 01, 2008 10:49 pm

Sometimes buying new just makes more sense than pissing about on eBay trying to find that elusive deal. Time is money after all. ;)

Anyway, hope you have fun with your brand new Voyager when it arrives. :thumbup:
Last edited by OriginalJambo on Sat May 03, 2008 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gd

Post by gd » Sat May 03, 2008 3:41 pm

congrats!
Prophet 08, Mini D, Radias, 2 x JD-990, Juno-60, 2 x JP-8080, Fantom X6, Speakeasy Stereo Rackmount Vintage Tube Preamp ...

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Sat May 03, 2008 4:25 pm

JWOLFORD wrote:A brand new Voyager with a Fire Backlight and a Cherry finish....
Ver 3 memory and Quiet II technology.
Arrives at my door next Wednesday.

Just a little more than those nuts are selling used ones on ebay for.
Man, is the used Voyager market inflated!! I guess it's a good sign that they retain their value. I'd expect no less. But there are some really BAD deals on ebay.

I can't wait!!

Thanks for all the help and advice guys. I'll post pics when it arrives.
Let's hope this one turns out to be for real.

When the Voyager first came out, I was twenty-three. My eyes almost popped, and I said to myself, "Somehow, I'm getting one of them!" Two years later, the dream came true with acquired inherritence money.

Whether I've used it well enough or not, I'm thankful that little beastie is mine. Good luck when yours does arrive.
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

JWOLFORD

Post by JWOLFORD » Sun May 04, 2008 2:29 am

MrFrodo wrote:
Let's hope this one turns out to be for real.
Well, my card has been charged for the full amount, and UPS shows a 45 pound box is on it's way, so it's looking good.

But yeah, it won't be official until it's here, unpacked, lighting up my studio and blowing up my speakers.

Just a few more days......

analogholic

Post by analogholic » Sun May 04, 2008 1:36 pm

Solderman wrote: A few things I can comment on the Voyager:
It doesn't really sound that close to the Mini to me. A much different, more tame but more versatile, personality. It sounds much cleaner and is a tad less bassy*, although I hear it can do deeper bass more easily. It takes alot more effort to get it to wail over the guitars than the 70's Moogs. Mine doesn't sound nearly as bright without EQ, so I put an aural exciter in the Mix Insert path.
It absolutely will not overdrive worth a damn on its own. My biggest complaint. I found a workaround for it using the Mix Insert path, but it doesn't really add any "vintage" flavor.

* footnote on bassy:

the Minimoog filter can do resonant basses so well because Q decays with the envelope, bringing the low frequencies back. You can simulate this with the Voyager using the software by sacrificing the pedal bus to modulate resonance with the filter envelope, and turning down the resonance knob. Turn up the pedal bus knob and resonant basses get pretty deep.
1. How much "better" does it sound with the exciter?

2. Have you tried a tubepreamp thru the Mix insert, to simulate overdrive?
Could that work?

When I tried the Voyager, I really wanted to like it, but couldn´t...

My last hope would be these "workarounds" to get it closer to a Mini...

Or of course, get the original... :roll:

Box
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JX-3P
Roland JX-8P
1972 Wurlitzer Console Piano
Band: Neo Decorum
Location: Land of oscillators, filters, and other really cool looking stuff.

Post by Box » Sun May 04, 2008 4:34 pm

Congratulations on your purchase JWOLFORD! You so have to post pics and vids when you receive it. I so envy you now(as will others ;) ), have fun with it you lucky individual! :)
Help our very own Maschinengeist (Stéphane) by making your next purchase or repair with him! Click the logo for more info!

gd

Post by gd » Sun May 04, 2008 10:43 pm

The Voyager was never designed to be a perfect replica of the miniD, it does many things easier and better and yes it does not sound exactly like the old synth. I have them both an must admit to going to the Voyager more than my miniD. I find it easier to sit the V in a mix but it can get every bit as brash as my D. It is sort of like the Prophet5 vs Prophet08 discussions although Moog stayed away from using mini___ as its name. Its an impressive incredibly deep synth that you'll enjoy for years, and why not experiment with pedals, exciters tube pre's etc. and have a real giggle with it. If I keep both Moogs I'll likely buy a Doepler ribbon cntrl for more fun.
Prophet 08, Mini D, Radias, 2 x JD-990, Juno-60, 2 x JP-8080, Fantom X6, Speakeasy Stereo Rackmount Vintage Tube Preamp ...

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Mon May 05, 2008 4:53 am

analogholic wrote:
Solderman wrote: Mine doesn't sound nearly as bright without EQ, so I put an aural exciter in the Mix Insert path.
It absolutely will not overdrive worth a damn on its own. My biggest complaint. I found a workaround for it using the Mix Insert path, but it doesn't really add any "vintage" flavor.
1. How much "better" does it sound with the exciter?
2. Have you tried a tubepreamp thru the Mix insert, to simulate overdrive?
Could that work?
Notice I said "brighter". :wink: Actually, some sounds benefit and others suffer from the exciter, hence the pedal to make it quickly switchable.
I haven't tried anything but a signal booster because the aim was to overdrive the Voyager's filter, not the oscillator mix.

If your aim is to have a Minimoog D sound, I'm afraid you'll have to get an original. The model D's filter is beefier and is not constant Q, as I mentioned before, which makes resonant basses sound so big. The model's D's oscillators seem to have alot of high frequency content, which an aural exciter has to synthesize in the Voyager's case, so it won't be the same kind of brightness.
Most importantly of all this, the model D's oscillator drift and more sensitive VCA are going to give it way more personality. Get a model D if that's what you want. It's likely why several users in this thread have both. I like the Voyager for its own capability and charms.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.