Fair trade?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
mistertrapdoor

Fair trade?

Post by mistertrapdoor » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:45 pm

Now, I know quite a fair bit about synthesizers, so this question isn't meant as "novice" a it sounds. I'm just wanting to fend of the pangs of slight regret I may feel. Now, I'm much into the older synths, though live I tend to use my Voyager due to the patch storage and no mood swings between changing rooms: I have a Minimoog, OBX, and JP-8 to name the crux of what has turned into a very large and expensive buscuit. I recently have had the opportunity to trade my Andromeda for 4 synths. These are

Roland SH-2
Roland SH-3a
Roland RS-09
Roland Juno-106.

I like my Andromeda and there's a couple patches on there that really stand out as excellent, but otherwise, to my ears, the JP-8 has a similar architecture but is ballsy and doesn't take 5 days to tune itself. I do realize that I'm to be trading a 16 oscillator polysynth for two monosynths, a string/organ divide down synth, and a 6 voice dco synth respectively. I'm just curious what you would all do in this situation.

8bit9bot
No Longer Registered

Post by 8bit9bot » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:56 pm

i had the SH3a... its kinda cool... but i would never trade for it... it really only has one oscillator that just happens to have sort of an "additive" set up to add octaves... but when you add them it sounds similar to an organ and its not very useful - so keep that in mind

the juno 106... doesnt that also only have one oscillator?

"The Juno-106 a six voice polyphonic and programable analog synth with one digitally controlled oscillator per voice. While classic monophonic synths used two or three oscillators to create a fatter sound, the Juno-106 uses built-in chorus to fatten up the sound."

RS-09 - strings/organs only - sounds like its limited but if thats your thing... i guess this part may be somewhat worth it

SH-2 - atleast this one has 2 oscillators - so i guess this part may be worth it too... but its a monosynth...

personally i would rather keep the andromeda or sell it for money to spend on something thats DIFFERENT... like a waldorf wave or something cooler (altho you may not even like that type of synth)

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:04 pm

I think it just boils down to which you'd rather have. If the money the two sides are worth is about the same, then you only have the functionality, workflow, sound and feel of the gear to trade on. If you don't get on with the A6, and want something different, that's up to you. The vintage analogues will be quirky and interesting, no doubt - though the 106 might be the least interesting of the lot, I think. And of course, if you don't like any of the ones you get in exchange, you can sell it and keep the rest. There's no selling just two voices of Andromeda to fund a little vintage mono...

michael stein
Band: S U R V I V E

Post by michael stein » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:36 pm

I would keep the andy. I have played most of the synths that were mentioned. Even tho the sh-2 has two osc, I have been told that the sh-09 has its perks over the sh2 for a few reasons including external input (i did some feedback loop tricks that made it sound a bit crazy) . The 106 is cool but mostly for pads and strings honestly the chorus has a real nice sound but its noisey and also, this is not a "fat" sounding synth but it does find a way to cut thru a heavy mix well (most thin synths do, poly 800, VAs, etc.) The RS-09, that does good strings too but I dont like the divide down organ sounds section much at all. I really dont think you would be gaining anything compared to the andy expecially if these will be studio pieces. Maybe if you needed something smaller to take with you to live shows but thats really it.

wiss
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: .com, mpc, and a studio full of behringer clones.

Post by wiss » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:02 pm

michael stein wrote: Even tho the sh-2 has two osc, I have been told that the sh-09 has its perks over the sh2 for a few reasons including external input
the sh-2 has external input

unless you really want to own all 4 of those boards your not gaining anything by the trade.
"All we used was the explosion and the orchestra hit. The Fairlight was a $100,000 waste of space."

michael stein
Band: S U R V I V E

Post by michael stein » Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:14 pm

Lesson learned: dont repeat what people tell you unless you have proven it a fact for yourself.

dang..well then the sh-2 should be alot better than the sh-09. .But for this topic I still feel the same about my advice.

synapsecollapse
Gear: MS20 Mini, Eurorack stuffs, Elektron Machinedrum, Venom, iPad mini, DX7

Post by synapsecollapse » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:27 pm

Dreamtronix

Post by Dreamtronix » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:01 pm

This is a tough one. If it wasn't a Andromeda, i would say trade it for the the Rolands in a heartbeat.

I've owned the SH-2 and the RS-09 and have extensively played the Juno 106. I haven't had the chance to play the SH-3a, but I would imagine it sounds pretty close to my old SH-09.

So here's the deal. IMHO nothing beats the SH-2 for bass, nothing. Especially when you throw in the sub-oscillator. It also does excellent leads. Someone stated that the SH-2 only has 2 oscillators, but they are omitting the sub which makes 3.

The RS-09 is extremely limited, but for what it does it does well. This board is worth it alone just for the ensemble effect and it has an external input so anything else can use that lush effect.

The Juno is a great board, but I would n't want to deal with the voice chip problem. Besides, you have a JP8. The Juno is not going to add anything significant to your sound.

The SH-3a. Won't need this if you have a SH-2. If it were an SH-3 with the Moog filter then maybe...

Good luck with your decision 8)
Roland: Jupiter-8, Jupiter-6(x2), MC-808, MP-600, RS-09,

Yamaha: CS-30, SK-15

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:18 pm

what's a buscuit?

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Post by hfinn » Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:26 am

I wouldn't do it. Nothing there is too hard or rare to come buy and from the rest of your collection it sounds a bit of a step down. You have the best bass (imo) with the voyager and mini, analog poly covered with Jupiter 8 and A6...

shoontz

Post by shoontz » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:23 am

Hey mistertrapdoor,
It's me the guy who might be trading with you, (seriously). My friend told me that you'd posted here so I thought I'd post too.

This forum won't steer you wrong. The advice is usually super solid.

Think about it though, you've already got the Jupiter 8, and if you think I might have anything else that might sweeten the deal you can e-mail me. I just desperately need to downsize or my wife will kill me.

shoontz

Post by shoontz » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:37 am

h**l, if anyone else here is interested in the same trade and has an Andy they don't want I'm totally game, but I'll have to give mistertrapdoor first dibs. It's his trade.

portland
Gear: Elektron Machinedrum UW+, GEM S2, Roland S-760, Korg SDD-3300, Kawai Q-80, Yamaha TG-77, Yamaha 01x, Adam A7s, Logic Studio, Reaktor 5
Band: Romeo Alfa

Post by portland » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:27 am

8bit9bot wrote: i would rather keep the andromeda or sell it for money to spend on something thats DIFFERENT... like a waldorf wave or something cooler (altho you may not even like that type of synth)
you'll need atleast 2 andromedas to get a waldorf wave... if you can even find one.

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Post by hfinn » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:18 pm

for a wave it would take about five used andromedas...

AstroDan

Post by AstroDan » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:04 pm

I'm going to hi-jack and ask: why does VSE list the Waldorf Wave as digital yet say it has VCOs?
Too futurist to live.