Korg MiniKorg 700s or 770?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
drummy
Gear: Univox K-2 Mini-Korg 2
Location: Northfield, Illinois or Milwaukee, Wisconsin (I go back and forth a lot)

Korg MiniKorg 700s or 770?

Post by drummy » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:52 pm

Hey guys. I have the Univox Mini-Korg K-2 (AKA MiniKorg 700s). I like it, but I've been looking into the 770. I can't see too many differences, except VCO 1 goes to 64' (opposed to the 700s which goes to 32'), has an external input, and fine tune. Both have ring modulators, and both have 2 VCOs (the second being the ring modulators on both). Question is, should I sell the 700s and get the 770 (can the 770 do all the sounds that the 700s can?), if I can get the 770 for basically what I paid for the 700s? Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Post by hfinn » Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:21 am

Well, it sounds like you'd be doing it basically to go to 64' on the VCO. Apart from that they don't seem very different... Do you think you would use the external input?

drummy
Location: Northfield, Illinois or Milwaukee, Wisconsin (I go back and forth a lot)

Post by drummy » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:03 am

hfinn wrote:Well, it sounds like you'd be doing it basically to go to 64' on the VCO. Apart from that they don't seem very different... Do you think you would use the external input?
Not sure. I've never had experience with it; some synths have awesome external signal processing, some have not-so-good ones. Don't know anything about the one on the 770.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:31 pm

Keep the K-2. You have it already and it works. Let the GAS pass.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

LesDeuxLoveOrchestra

Post by LesDeuxLoveOrchestra » Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:47 pm

JSRockit wrote:Keep the K-2. You have it already and it works. Let the GAS pass.
sage advice.

Vast Halo

Post by Vast Halo » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:11 pm

I own a 770, and I have to say that I never use the 64' option. It's actually too deep to be be usable, at least for my purposes. On the other hand, the external signal input is invaluable, because (i) it allows me to ring-modulate other instruments (e.g. my 606's hi-hats); (ii) it allows me to apply Korg's wonderful envelope-controllable high-pass filter to sounds from other monosynths. (Admittedly, what makes this kind of patching genuinely useful is that my 770 has been modified with CV and Gate inputs.)

drummy

Post by drummy » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:20 pm

Vast Halo wrote:I own a 770, and I have to say that I never use the 64' option. It's actually too deep to be be usable, at least for my purposes. On the other hand, the external signal input is invaluable, because (i) it allows me to ring-modulate other instruments (e.g. my 606's hi-hats); (ii) it allows me to apply Korg's wonderful envelope-controllable high-pass filter to sounds from other monosynths. (Admittedly, what makes this kind of patching genuinely useful is that my 770 has been modified with CV and Gate inputs.)
Damn. That made me think about a 770 all over again. Man. I was starting to take JS' advice too.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:04 am

drummy wrote: Damn. That made me think about a 770 all over again. Man. I was starting to take JS' advice too.
Well, the K-2 is one synth I never owned that I would like to...so I'm a bit partial.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Post by hfinn » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:32 am

drummy wrote:
Vast Halo wrote:I own a 770, and I have to say that I never use the 64' option. It's actually too deep to be be usable, at least for my purposes. On the other hand, the external signal input is invaluable, because (i) it allows me to ring-modulate other instruments (e.g. my 606's hi-hats); (ii) it allows me to apply Korg's wonderful envelope-controllable high-pass filter to sounds from other monosynths. (Admittedly, what makes this kind of patching genuinely useful is that my 770 has been modified with CV and Gate inputs.)
Damn. That made me think about a 770 all over again. Man. I was starting to take JS' advice too.
Well keep in mind his was modified... If you want to use a ring modulator on other instruments I highly recommend the Moog MF-102