Loverboy synths!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Pilot352

Post by Pilot352 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:05 pm

HH wrote:...now that's some pretty tight jeans :) loving the 80s...
Actually live on stage, he was stuck in that position because of the tight jeans. They carried him on and off stage just as you see him there. His hands were all that moved. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Analog: Mono/Poly, Prophet '08, Juno 106
Digital: Kurzweil SP88, Yamaha DX11, Kawai K4, MS2K, AN1x
Modules: Triton (loaded), Motif ES, MS2KR, E-Mu Proteus 2K, TR626 DM, Roland U220
New Addition: Fender Rhodes 73 Mark I
So much gear... So little time!!!

ERIC31
Gear: .

Post by ERIC31 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:17 pm

The second picture from July 82 Oakland Coliseum is the show I was at! It was Iron Maiden, then The Scorpions, Loverboy and Foreigner (who sucked) Way cool!!! :D
http://www.oldmanarmy.com
http://www.electrogarden.com
Synth Wish List: Alesis Micron, Novation Xiosynth 49

Denms20
Gear: Korg MS-20, CX-3, SP 100, Roland JX8P, Sound Canvas, Hammond CV, M3, S-6,L-100 Rhodes , Wurly, D-6 clav, Yamaha TX-7, Crumar T-1, Casio CZ-101

Post by Denms20 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:04 am

Yikes, you guys actually liked them?
Hammond CV, M3, s6, Korg MS-20, SP-100, CX-3, Hohner D-6, Roland JX8P, Sound Canvas, Yamaha Tx7, Casio CZ101, Rhodes, Crumar T1
http://www.organdenstudio.com

Johnny Lenin
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: JX8P | AX60 | Little Phatty Stage II | DW8000 | Vox Jag | Fantom X6 | Juno-G | P-Bass | AS-120 | Double Jet

Post by Johnny Lenin » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:04 am

Denms20 wrote:Yikes, you guys actually liked them?
Not at the time. Then, I thought they were c**p. With hindsight and a lot of nostalgia, though, they've grown on me. They represent a kind of peak of CanCon pop that faded quickly under Mulroney.

Leeroy Jenkins

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:22 pm

For me Loverboy represents the opitome of the 1980s block-chord, piano-style synthesizer player. Take a song that could have just as easily been written on a piano and play it on a synthesizer instead. Geddy Lee of Rush did this, Stevie Nicks did this, Tom Petty did this, Van Halen did this..that was when polyphonic synthesisis was at its peak. Nowadays block-chorders are all but extinct from popular music. It's all about layers after layers of multi-tracked monosynth sound bites. A song like Subdivisions played on a synthesizer simply would not exist today. Sad, but totally true.

long live piano synth players!

OMNI26

Post by OMNI26 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:30 am

HH wrote:Image

now that's some pretty tight jeans :) loving the 80s
Now THIS is the type of setup that first got me into playing synths back in the day! Big stacks of keyboards....and no MIDI....you actually gotta PLAY 'em! :)

ERIC31

Post by ERIC31 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:41 am

Some live video from 2006.

wysiwyg

Post by wysiwyg » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:29 am

ERIC31 wrote:this is great! I'm here at work listening to Loverboy! I got to see them Summer of 1982 at Day On The Green in Oakland, Ca. (That's how old I am!!)I always liked them and they put on a great show!

Their synth sounds were a big part of their appeal to me. Nice to know what he was playing. :D
Uh oh, i think I was at that show too

Scorps
Iron Maiden
Loverboy
Foreigner

wysiwyg

Post by wysiwyg » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:32 am

ERIC31 wrote:The second picture from July 82 Oakland Coliseum is the show I was at! It was Iron Maiden, then The Scorpions, Loverboy and Foreigner (who sucked) Way cool!!! :D
Nice, I took my first ever girlfriend (Noreen) to that show. We took Muni to Bart and Bart to the Coliseum (I was a Freshman in HS)

AstroDan

Post by AstroDan » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:35 pm

Hello. I heard a Loverboy thread got in here. I brought some sprays and traps...should take care of it.
Too futurist to live.

Pilot352

Post by Pilot352 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:05 pm

AstroDan wrote:Hello. I heard a Loverboy thread got in here. I brought some sprays and traps...should take care of it.
I for one agree that LB wasn't my favorite band - very pop-tart, MTV'ish. But as a guitar player, I thought the guitar on "Turn me Loose" was incredible. The sound, leads and overall song was one of my faves. And as I said earlier in this thread, the synth sound on "Take me to the Top" was (IMHO) the quintessential analog synth sound of all time.

You gotta give them credit for making and selling many top 40 hits and making allot of money while doing it.

-Pilot
Analog: Mono/Poly, Prophet '08, Juno 106
Digital: Kurzweil SP88, Yamaha DX11, Kawai K4, MS2K, AN1x
Modules: Triton (loaded), Motif ES, MS2KR, E-Mu Proteus 2K, TR626 DM, Roland U220
New Addition: Fender Rhodes 73 Mark I
So much gear... So little time!!!

ronP
Gear: BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO MT-70; KORG EA-1 mkII, MicroKorg, microSTATION, MicroX, Mini-KP, Monotron; ROLAND Micro Cube; ZOOM FS01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B
Band: Keyfish

Post by ronP » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:32 pm

Loverboy -- the epitome of high school cool -- and "Working for the Weekend" , "Turn Me Loose" , "Take Me to the Top" . . . these are all great, well-constructed, rock pop songs.

The band had a great run until MTv killed them off by pushing the forgettable "Queen of the Broken Hearts" -- the song featuring a video, set in a Planet of the Apes landscape, that starred the "anonymous fat girl" who won the "Be in a Loverboy Video" MTv contest, and "Hot Girls in Love" -- in which their drummer was shown, again and again, hitting his kit with -- um -- gas pumps?

1980 -- the Get Lucky era -- was just a great year for pop music, and synths, in general. And Loverboy was there, then, with great songs and synth work compared to the metrosexual metal that passes for hard rock today.

And who, today, can top Mike Reno's matching orange leather pants and sweatband!

:lol:

BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO Casiotone MT-70; KORG Electribe EA-1mkII, microKORG, mini-KP; QUIKLOK T20 T-REX Series X;
ROLAND Micro-CUBE; YAMAHA PSS130, PSS140; ZOOM FS-01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B

Wanted: BOSS DR-110; CASIO CZ-101; YAMAHA CS-01, DX-100

Johnny Lenin
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: JX8P | AX60 | Little Phatty Stage II | DW8000 | Vox Jag | Fantom X6 | Juno-G | P-Bass | AS-120 | Double Jet

Post by Johnny Lenin » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:18 pm

... And then there were Streetheart and Prism. Once again, I hated them at the time, but I have some nostalgia for all those bands and artists of the time [Mahogany Rush, Gerry Doucette, Walter Rossi... etc...] whould never have had big-buck careers had it not been the for the Canadian content MAPL rules. h**l, some of this stuff was actually good, if repetitive...

ERIC31

Post by ERIC31 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:32 pm

You gotta give them credit for making and selling many top 40 hits and making allot of money while doing it.
I wish I could've figured out how to do that! People could talk all the c**p they wanted and I would be laughing all the way to the bank just like Loverboy did! Beats working a regular job for FAR less $$!

Leeroy Jenkins

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Mon May 05, 2008 4:59 pm

Message to Doug Johnson:

"Hey boy...I say HEY BOY!! YOU LOOK MIGHTY CUTE IN THEM JEANS!"