The Vintage-classics of the future - What synths and Why?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
JackAstro

Post by JackAstro » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:05 am

MicroKorg and Electribes for sure.

I don't know if the V Synth will be a classic, but it is a prelude of things to come.

As much as I want to say the Evolver, I don't see many bands playing them. I don't hear them on records. I know they sell, but who is using them? What kind of music are they making?

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:17 am

JackAstro wrote: As much as I want to say the Evolver, I don't see many bands playing them. I don't hear them on records. I know they sell, but who is using them? What kind of music are they making?
listen to cut copy, they use a lot of poly evolver stuff.

I nominate:

Virus Series (EBM basically revolves around this synth, as well as plenty of other popular music uses it)

Nord Lead Series (specifially the 2/2x, it seems to be the workhorse live synth for a lot of bands)

Prophet 08 (from day one this has been obvious)

JP80x0 series (invented the supersaw? Hello!)

Microkorg (You see them EVERYWHERE, though I see this one being viewed more the way the DX7 is viewed today, with its presets being used so much)

Triton/Motif/Fantom (everyone will be wanting those classic 2000's sounds, like how people still buy M1's today)

Electribes (most of the people i know who buy microkorgs buy one of these to go with it, that alone will give them some status)
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

AstroDan

Post by AstroDan » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:30 am

MicroKorg is a sure bet - but I think it will take a long, long time for stock to deplete and become an investment piece.

I'd say anything currently from Moog. That name will always be good as gold.
Too futurist to live.

gunark
Gear: Roland: Alpha Juno 1, HS-60, JX-3P
Yamaha: CS01, AN1x, TX81Z
SCI Pro One
DSI: Tetr4, Mopho Keyboard
Casio HT-700
Vermona DRM Mk. III
Jen SX1000
Band: British Airwaves

Post by gunark » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:10 am

I think at some point there will be a thing for the odd and quirky - kaosscilator, Roland MC09 / SH32 / D2, that kind of thing. Not as classics but curios and as a different perspective. I know I'm enjoying working in a different way with my SH.

Mixolydian
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Mixolydian » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:40 am

The obvious winner so far is the MicroKorg, and I'll go with it too. Also, I second the SuperNova II. I'd love to get one. And indeed the Evolvers and P08. Just too cool.

Any future classic current production synths not mentioned yet?
Maybe the Korg/Nintendo DS-10 - if it ever gets into production. It could launch a whole new market for soft synths in general.

Cycom
Gear: Mac Pro
T.C. Electronic Konnekt 24D
ADAM A7
SCI Prophet VS
Roland Super JX
Logic 8

Post by Cycom » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:47 am

DSI Evolver (desktop/mono/poly)

Alesis Andromeda

Jomox Sunsyn

Elektron MD and MM

...and maybe the SE Omega 8?
"We try to encode the world, decoded and recorded on our machines." -Clock DVA

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:18 am

There is a difference between synths that are "classics" because they have endured and synths that are "classics" because they were popular when they came out, so it's hard to answer this.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Amos

Post by Amos » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:51 am

Automatic Gainsay wrote:it's hard to answer this.
Now see here; nobody asked for a well-considered answer with any objective validity, so make with the pointless speculation already! :lol:
"The tb-303 sounds like poo and I think I could sell it for way more if I need some gas money, but no other poo sounds as pooey as it, plus it has a sequencer..." - Zamise

tim gueguen

Post by tim gueguen » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:43 am

A lot will have to do with what gets used in odd ways its creators didn't intend and becomes important to some popular genre. Say some batch of kids will snap up Korg MicroXs in a few years when they're discontinued and heavily discounted by stores trying to get rid of them, and said kids come up with some musical genre relying heavily on the MicroX's dual programmable arpeggiator. Or some Yamaha MM6 patch becomes crucial to whatever industrial variant is popular in 2014.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:46 am

The x0xb0x will be a total classic, they're already starting to run out of parts and the waiting list is getting really long.

I think the V-Synth is something that's going to get more popular later, the price has come down so they're going to start getting into the hands of people who'll do some really innovative stuff with them.

The Elektron stuff will end up having demand exceed supply too.

The DSI stuff I think will just remain popular, they're easy to get you hands on and there isn't a lot of second-hand activity cause people tend to hang onto them.

The Microkorg and MS2000 will be like Junos were 10 years ago. Cheap but a studio standard.

Shleed
Gear: Doepfer A100
MFB Synth II
Waldorf Blofeld
Korg MS20 Mini
Ensoniq EPS-16+
TT303
TX81Z
Band: Shledge

Post by Shleed » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:41 pm

Andromeda: Why not? It's a classic already.
MFB Synth II: Will be VERY rare, since the build quality shortens their life a bit.
Microkorg: The DX7 of today, one day people will appreciate it's potential.
Prophet 8: Obvious reasons.
Poly/Mono Evolver: Unique and just great.

And any of the modern moogs, expect people buying lil' phattys for 4000+ because "IT'S A MEWG, OBESE SOUNDS DEWD SHCWEET"

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:02 pm

Amos wrote:
Automatic Gainsay wrote:it's hard to answer this.
Now see here; nobody asked for a well-considered answer with any objective validity, so make with the pointless speculation already! :lol:
Ha ha, I'm sorry!

If I were to guess what synths will have high values in the future and still be used, I would have to say that the Moog stuff is the closest to certainty.

Any synth that is popular now will become tied to a genre which will be mocked in a couple of years, and will go through a period where it is hated. Eventually, if this ridiculous post modern tradition of rehash keeps up, that synth will come back when it's genre comes back... but that's not the same as the synths that will be used consistently irrespective of genre, like the modern Moogs.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

ronP
Gear: BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO MT-70; KORG EA-1 mkII, MicroKorg, microSTATION, MicroX, Mini-KP, Monotron; ROLAND Micro Cube; ZOOM FS01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B
Band: Keyfish

Post by ronP » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:26 pm

Joey wrote:
JackAstro wrote: Electribes (most of the people i know who buy microkorgs buy one of these to go with it, that alone will give them some status)

That describes my story to an E . . . lectribe.

The Electribe series was at first a curiosity to me, and even though there was an EMX-1 in the studio that brought me in to play key synths, I could not get my head around that machine. Then I decided I needed a bass machine for my one-man rig, and the EA-1 mkII fit the description and looks and is built great, so I got one, in December 2006. Two weeks later, it was discontnued, and now I use it more than my microKorg!

Vintage already . . . Classic-to-be for sure.

:)

BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO Casiotone MT-70; KORG Electribe EA-1mkII, microKORG, mini-KP; QUIKLOK T20 T-REX Series X;
ROLAND Micro-CUBE; YAMAHA PSS130, PSS140; ZOOM FS-01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B

Wanted: BOSS DR-110; CASIO CZ-101; YAMAHA CS-01, DX-100

Johnny Lenin
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: JX8P | AX60 | Little Phatty Stage II | DW8000 | Vox Jag | Fantom X6 | Juno-G | P-Bass | AS-120 | Double Jet

Post by Johnny Lenin » Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:39 pm

It's a little like wondering if any of the solid state cars available today will be classics.

I think one of the things that fuels people's fascination with the analog gear -- apart from the sound -- is the fact that they can be user-serviced and hotrodded. That won't really be possible with the digital gear of today, so I agree that the Moogs -- the LP more than the Voyager -- and the Dave Smiths promise to be the big classics of the next generation. Not that they're any easier to tinker with than a Triton, but I think they'll hold their vibe.

Having said that, I wonder if the interest in analog will endure. Tastes change, and I've seen a growing interest in FM, PD and LA synths. I wonder if some of the classics of the current crop will be the more unique and idiosyncratic digital synths. Maybe not the Triton/Motif/Fantom, but I can see the Karma exciting a lot of interest down the line [not that I've ever played one]...

Shleed
Gear: Doepfer A100
MFB Synth II
Waldorf Blofeld
Korg MS20 Mini
Ensoniq EPS-16+
TT303
TX81Z
Band: Shledge

Post by Shleed » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:18 pm

Whatever happens, I'm keeping mine. Although I will buy anyone's synths if they're stupid enough to sell them ridiculously cheap again like when analogue synths were considered s**t. :lol: