The Vintage-classics of the future - What synths and Why?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
7Hz

Post by 7Hz » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:46 pm

I don't think any synth made today will become a classic.

The golden age of synths has passed. There is no groundbreaking music being made these days, so there is nothing like the 303 level of cult status going to be attached to any of the new peices of gear.

But we don't have to worry about that, because once the oil runs out and we see worldwide civil unrest fromm food shortages, we will be back to making music by banging two rocks together, so enjoy it for just now.

That's my upbeat answer anyway :D
MPC-4000, Jupiter 6, Pro-One, MS-10, Arp Axxe, Ensoniq VFX, MKS-30 + PG200, (Casio VL Tone, Drumtrax, R5, DR-110...)

memedesigner

Post by memedesigner » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:05 pm

I think Korg Radias has a chance.

It looks cool, well, at least very different and 00s, and has a distinct sound and feature set.

It's under appreciated today, and would guess didn't sell that well.

And it meets the most important criteria of a classic-to-be: it's somehow a bit dorky. :D

ronP
Gear: BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO MT-70; KORG EA-1 mkII, MicroKorg, microSTATION, MicroX, Mini-KP, Monotron; ROLAND Micro Cube; ZOOM FS01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B
Band: Keyfish

Post by ronP » Mon Apr 28, 2008 5:24 pm

memedesigner wrote:I think Korg Radias has a chance.

It looks cool, well, at least very different and 00s, and has a distinct sound and feature set.

It's under appreciated today, and would guess didn't sell that well.

And it meets the most important criteria of a classic-to-be: it's somehow a bit dorky. :D

Duran Duran is using two Radias for the electro portion of their current tour set. John Taylor uses his exclusively for bass lines, and Nick Rhodes uses one for pads and vocoder; a highly, highly, underrated synth, considering its multi-modeling abilities (kind of like a Virus TI Polar for 1/3 of the price).

BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO Casiotone MT-70; KORG Electribe EA-1mkII, microKORG, mini-KP; QUIKLOK T20 T-REX Series X;
ROLAND Micro-CUBE; YAMAHA PSS130, PSS140; ZOOM FS-01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B

Wanted: BOSS DR-110; CASIO CZ-101; YAMAHA CS-01, DX-100

SubliminalEffect

Post by SubliminalEffect » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:09 pm

Jazzpunk wrote:Interesting to see the votes for the Hartmann Neuron. Can anyone recommend some recordings featuring the Nueron (not product demos but actual releases). Curious to hear it in action.

presumably, it is on BT's This Binary Universe. this is what BT wrote in his ad after he was burgled (the second time):

"Over 150k dollars of gear was stolen including my main show computer containing the entire show for This Binary Universe. This is priceless to me, as is my Hartman Neuron and Dave Smith Poly-Evolver."

i think it states pretty clearly what his opinion of the Neuron is!

also, Hans Zimmer was one of the partners in the Hartman company and, remarkably, actually did demonstrations at NAMM for the launch of the Neuron! so possibly, it's there on some of the soundtracks of his and his former Media Ventures associates.

stephen
Gear: Laptop
House Brick
Renoise
Loomer Aspect
FM8

Post by stephen » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:29 pm

Yeah, another +1 for microkorg and electribes. Maybe I should keep hold of my EM-1

How about the AN1x?

Hey, looks like I have a classic synth collection already!!
Stephen(2)

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:00 pm

Korg Radias.

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:11 pm

Johnny Lenin wrote:I think one of the things that fuels people's fascination with the analog gear -- apart from the sound -- is the fact that they can be user-serviced and hotrodded. That won't really be possible with the digital gear of today.
Not quite "hotrodded" but supposedly changing the tubes in the EMX and ESX makes an incredible difference. A bunch of people have done this on the Korg Forum and they all say that it made a dramatic improvement in sound. I'll be swapping mine out also. The fact that you can alter the tone of the machines depending on which tubes you put in will make them classics,

jp8080

Post by jp8080 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:12 am

roland jp80x0
aleesis andromeda
jomox sunsyn

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:57 am

I think the stuff that will go vintage and increase in value are the things that won't be superseded by a newer model or are very unique in themselves either in design, sound or UI.

My choices are....

Pulse
XT
Evolver
Sunsyn
Andromeda
M5
Neuron
Polymorph
AN200
FS1R

There's plenty of new stuff that's already shot up in value like the 777 and Fenix but I think stuff like the newer Moogs will remain static like a Les Paul or Strat and most VA synths will become bargain bucket material not only by the huge numbers sold but inferiority to newer products kinda like the DX7 or D50 is now.

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:59 am

7Hz wrote:I don't think any synth made today will become a classic.

The golden age of synths has passed. There is no groundbreaking music being made these days, so there is nothing like the 303 level of cult status going to be attached to any of the new peices of gear.
:D
Elektron with IDM/Minimal/Glitch/Techno? :roll:

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:09 am

7Hz wrote:I don't think any synth made today will become a classic.

Here's a pointy hat, go sit in the corner.

urgetoplay

Post by urgetoplay » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:19 am

Neuron
Fizmo
V-synth GT
VL-1
Solaris
I think that even this modest list my be overreaching. There isn't really anything new in terms of synthesis these days as much as a refinement of already existing tech; or a revival of older tech (Moog/DSI).

I think the next great step will be in interfaces that allow the user to either be more expressive(Breath controllers,ribbon,etc) or force the user to think outside the box (reactable etc).
Resonance in Humans is called Empathy.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:34 am

Definitely the microKORG/MS-2000 without a doubt, simply because they are cheap, look cool and actually sound pretty good. I don't think I'd put money on anything else to be honest, however with some speculation:

DSI gear - their current stuff seems to always be overshadowed by their older gear for many, however this could very well change - especially since the Evolver is insanely affordable. All in all difficult to say, but it's clear DSI instruments will always have their fans.

Moog gear - again a victim of continual comparison to original legacy. Boutique now and I don't think that'll change any time soon. I mean isn't every Moog automatically a classic? :lol:

AN1X - at the moment only an underdog, but it's entirely possible that it will become revered in the future. I reckon it'd be extremely popular now if it had more knobs and didn't look like a cheap consumer grade Yamaha keyboard (no offence of course!).

SH-201 - if the price really drops, the supersaw becomes super trendy again and people stop bitching about it then maybe.

Bass Station - if analogue gear becomes even more insanely over-priced in the near future this will be the first port of call. Maybe the new SH-101?

Supernova II - yeah, I'd say this is destined to become a classic in time. It's a beast.

The one thing I've noticed is that you can't move for the number of bands up here that are using microKORGs. Can't say that I've noticed that for any other modern synth.

braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by braincandy » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:37 am

I think the AN1x will wind up being mentioned the same way the ESQ-1 is mentioned now--a sort of underground classic that's inexpensive enough for the masses and was never really appreciated during it's day. My reasoning here is that it doesn't have the 1 knob/slider per function like the JP8000, MS2000, or NordLead has, nor does it have the visibility amongst major bands (the only one I know of that uses one is The Faint). Because of this, I don't think it will join the ranks of the JP8K, NL, or MS2K in being considered "vintage".

I keep seeing the MicroKORG being mentioned and I sure wouldn't argue with its sales numbers (in fact, I had fun with one this past Saturday at a Guitar Center--makes me want a portable synth for trips!), but wouldn't the MS2K be more valued, since it has full-sized keys + a much more accessible interface i.e. knobs?

cartesia
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Octatrack
Bass Station 2
Band: TBA

Post by cartesia » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:39 am

Micorkorg - no!

Yeah it souds OK, loads of people bought em. . . but they havent had c**p all impact on music, and ultimately while they may be popular they arent particularly desirable when compared to many other modern synths. Its like saying a common family car will be become a collectors item.

Evolvers and elektron gear, most likely. . . but I dont see them breaking any ground either really in the musical realm, just performing well.

I think as some others have stated, expression & performance ability are what will mark the next generation of classics. . as far as sound design goes, I think its safe to say we can produce any sound we like with what currently exists.