Beginner

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Alpha10

Beginner

Post by Alpha10 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:05 am

Hi to all

It's my first post, i found this forum very useful with pro members in synth.

I'm new in music world, and i just play piano for about one month, i want to study piano and synth simultaneously.

i don't like trance style so the Roland SH201 isn't good for me as my first synth.

i don't want to buy very simple and easy synth and search for another in next 6 or 8 months, my budget is about ~700$ maybe Waldorf blofeld is difficult for first synth but i think it has

more options and features than any others like SH201 , JP8080 ,...

and also i found many books about basic of synth and virtual Analog synths but i dont know the best of them.

Would you please recommend some other option and best educational synth books ?

thanks

gfriden

Post by gfriden » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:13 am

Hello Alpha10, and welcome to the forum. I hope you will enjoy it here.

As for your questions; I can't relly recommend you any synths, since you are apparently looking to buy a VA, while I only have classic analogs and digitals myself, although I'd say you're on the right track picking a synth that does subtractive synthesis. They're usually easier to learn.

As for literature, I'd recommend just getting the synth, reading the manual carefully and finally, take a look at this site:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/allsynthsecrets.htm

There should be plenty of things there to start with. Good Luck!
Art is not a copy of the real world. One of the damn things is enough.

JugJug

Post by JugJug » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:00 pm

First , it's not because a certain synth is promoted or received as trancy (insert other style) , that this is the only use of it. The person of the artist makes the music, not the synthesizer.

Secondly, there are 2 approaches to learning synths. You can buy a simple synth with a simple lay-out an try to get the max out of it (e.g Sh-201, Juno.) and then swith over to a more complicated synthesizer. Secondly, you can purchase a more complicated synth and slowly "grow" into it. The advantage is that there is always something to discover, the disadvantage is that without a narrow focus or structured approach, it is really easy to get lost and learn nothing (Blofeld, Micron).
I learned it the 2nd way, and I don't regret it -the joy of contineously discovering new possibilities is rather satisfying- , although I recommend everyone to start with a simple synth :)
For a first synthesizer the interface might be quite important (so, no alesis micron, but maybe an Ion, Blofeld, Jp-8000 and sh-201)

Saubrey

Post by Saubrey » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:59 pm

Hey there Alpha10,

I recently purchased my first synth (it's actually scheduled to be delivered today :D ) and posted a similar question here.
http://www.vintagesynth.org/phpBB2/view ... hp?t=37899

It may help to look at that post. All said and done I went with the Novation X-Station 49.

Hope this helps!

Saubrey

ronP
Gear: BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO MT-70; KORG EA-1 mkII, MicroKorg, microSTATION, MicroX, Mini-KP, Monotron; ROLAND Micro Cube; ZOOM FS01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B
Band: Keyfish

Re: Beginner

Post by ronP » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:06 pm

Alpha10 wrote:Hi to all

I'm new in music world, and i just play piano for about one month, i want to study piano and synth simultaneously.

i don't like trance style so the Roland SH201 isn't good for me as my first synth.

i don't want to buy very simple and easy synth and search for another in next 6 or 8 months, my budget is about ~700$ maybe Waldorf blofeld is difficult for first synth but i think it has

and also i found many books about basic of synth and virtual Analog synths but i dont know the best of them.

thanks

Alpha10 --

Hello. Since you learn piano now, too, you should get synth with attached keyboard -- a keysynth.

ROLAND SH-201 or KORG microKorg is best for money and clear layout and sound of synth, plus you can then play sound on keyboard instantly without confusing MIDI cable, interface, so forth.

:)

BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO Casiotone MT-70; KORG Electribe EA-1mkII, microKORG, mini-KP; QUIKLOK T20 T-REX Series X;
ROLAND Micro-CUBE; YAMAHA PSS130, PSS140; ZOOM FS-01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B

Wanted: BOSS DR-110; CASIO CZ-101; YAMAHA CS-01, DX-100

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:14 pm

ronP wrote:
Alpha10 wrote:Hi to all

thanks

Alpha10 --

Hello. Since you learn piano now, too, you should get synth with attached keyboard -- a keysynth.

ROLAND SH-201 or KORG microKorg is best for money and clear layout and sound of synth, plus you can then play sound on keyboard instantly without confusing MIDI cable, interface, so forth.

:)

If he's trying to learn synthesis as well it might help to have a box with more knobs than either. Maybe an alesis ion?

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:54 pm

Alpha10 wrote: i don't want to buy very simple and easy synth and search for another in next 6 or 8 months, my budget is about ~700$ maybe Waldorf blofeld is difficult for first synth but i think it has more options and features than any others like SH201 , JP8080 ,...
It does, and it wouldn't be a bad choice.

Combine it with a digital (stage) piano for the piano playing. When learning music theory, you don't need distractions of sliders and shiny LEDs.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

sequence

Post by sequence » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:25 am

The Korg MS2000 is an outstanding beginner's subtractive synth because 1) it sounds great, so y'll be inspired to learn, 2) they're numerous and fairly reasonable used, and 3) unlike the Microkorg, when you tweak and change a value it gives you a graphic representation in the lcd screen, so u learn as U tweak. Get that and Fred Welsh's synth cookbook and y'll be an expert in no time :D
twentyfirst century fizMO man

Alpha10

Post by Alpha10 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:15 am

thanks for your replies. i learned good points from you,

1-For first synth its better to be a Simple subtractive synth with simple interface like :Ion,SH-201,X-station,...

2-SH-201 or JP8080 is not just for Dance and trance so It can be a good chioce for me with easy interface + enough knobs and sliders for practicing for the first synth.(but I'm still prefer blofeld :) )

3- thanks for literature(soundonsound) they are really useful for me.

as a result , I'm going to go try all of them by myself and choose between SH-201,Ion,X-station,blofeld or MS2000 . I dont have any problem with Rack edition. (I use a M-Audio Keystation + Ivory + ESI nEar Monitors for piano :D)

code green
Gear: prophet 600/evolver/juno 6/alpha juno 2/bassst'n/crumar performer/jv1010/suitcase rhodes 73/ '78 gibson l6-s/'73 guild mahogany/'69 fender princeton
Band: thermite zapruder

Post by code green » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:45 am

in-ear monitors + tweaking a new synth = be careful (esp. with resonance)