Wavestation Users

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Analogue Crazy
Gear: Alesis Andromeda
Korg MS20 Mini
Korg Micro Preset
Korg DS-8
Yamaha Motif 7
Yamaha DX11

Wavestation Users

Post by Analogue Crazy » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:16 pm

I am really getting into my Wavestation EX and was just wondering...What songs has Wavestation seen use on. I know genesis used one on 'No Son Of Mine' but what other recordings feature the Wavestation?

Im totally in love with this synth. It may lack a resonant filter but the sound is just so HUGE. This is one of the most powerful synths i have ever used.
A6 Andromeda, MS20 Mini, M500SP, DS-8, Motif 7, DX11,

ronP
Gear: BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO MT-70; KORG EA-1 mkII, MicroKorg, microSTATION, MicroX, Mini-KP, Monotron; ROLAND Micro Cube; ZOOM FS01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B
Band: Keyfish

Re: Wavestation Users

Post by ronP » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:20 pm

Analogue Crazy wrote:I am really getting into my Wavestation EX and was just wondering...What songs has Wavestation seen use on. I know genesis used one on 'No Son Of Mine' but what other recordings feature the Wavestation?

Im totally in love with this synth. It may lack a resonant filter but the sound is just so HUGE. This is one of the most powerful synths i have ever used.

Geddy Lee of RUSH used one all over the Roll The Bones LP.

BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO Casiotone MT-70; KORG Electribe EA-1mkII, microKORG, mini-KP; QUIKLOK T20 T-REX Series X;
ROLAND Micro-CUBE; YAMAHA PSS130, PSS140; ZOOM FS-01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B

Wanted: BOSS DR-110; CASIO CZ-101; YAMAHA CS-01, DX-100

SubliminalEffect

Post by SubliminalEffect » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:39 pm

Wavestations are one of my all-time favorites. i have the EX, AD and SR. i even have the Double Dutch SAM-1 Sample Expander - a third-party rack with a ribbon cable that plugs into the PCM slot to use your own samples.

i used to hear the Wavestation (usually one of the default factory programs) on late-night, direct-to-cable B-movies in the early to mid-nineties. not the best recommendation but these usages were so prominently distinct, it's always the first thought that comes to mind!

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Post by gcoudert » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:05 pm

It's all over the album "Beggar on a beach of gold" by Mike & the Mechanics (especially the omnipresent wavesequence on "Another cup of coffee"), Runrig's albums "The Big Wheel" (intro to "Edge of the World") / "Amazing things" / "Mara" and their "Loch Lomond" single live at Loch Lomond in 1991 + tour DVD, "We can't dance" (Genesis). Watch the 1992 Genesis tour too. I remember Eric Tryoer of E.L.O. Part II using one live too.
GC

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:17 pm

AC- you really have gone to the dark side, pretty soon you'll have to drop the Analogue from your user name.

b3groover
Band: THEO

Post by b3groover » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:21 am

How is the plug-in compared to the real deal?

sensorium

Re: Wavestation Users

Post by sensorium » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:12 am

Analogue Crazy wrote: Im totally in love with this synth. It may lack a resonant filter but the sound is just so HUGE. This is one of the most powerful synths i have ever used.

You could get rid of that toy you have there and replace it with one that DOES have a resonant filter. Prophet VS?

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:59 am

b3groover wrote:How is the plug-in compared to the real deal?
i used to use a Wavestation AD, the soft version actually sounds better to my ears, it's the best sounding softsynth i've used. no vocoder, though.

sensorium

Post by sensorium » Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:43 am

I like the software version better also....They only synth I can say that about...

filtermod

Post by filtermod » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:30 am

xpander wrote:i used to use a Wavestation AD, the soft version actually sounds better to my ears, it's the best sounding softsynth i've used. no vocoder, though.
Same here, I sold my AD after a few months with the plug in (had to be sure :)).
you can't fix stupid

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:14 am

I use it for piano sounds and pads, mostly. Powerful machine indeed, I have plenty of expansion cards so I haven't been programming it at all, actually.

Analogue Crazy
Gear: Alesis Andromeda
Korg MS20 Mini
Korg Micro Preset
Korg DS-8
Yamaha Motif 7
Yamaha DX11

Post by Analogue Crazy » Tue Apr 29, 2008 6:30 pm

Thanks for all your comments. No im still totally into analogue. I just layer it with digital synths for greater tonal variety. My current live setup is the JP-8000 and Jupiter-4. The JP-4 is still my favorite Roland ever.
A6 Andromeda, MS20 Mini, M500SP, DS-8, Motif 7, DX11,

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by xpander » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:39 pm

Analogue Crazy wrote:Thanks for all your comments. No im still totally into analogue. I just layer it with digital synths for greater tonal variety.
you should get your hands on an SQ80 at some point, i think you'd like it- it sounds both digital & analog at the same time like a Prophet VS.

minime123
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by minime123 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:12 pm

orbital used wavestations quite a bit.
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- We Buy Sell Trade Repair Vintage Synths
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- https://tonetweakers.com

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:49 pm

minime123 wrote:orbital used wavestations quite a bit.
Great band. What tracks did they use it on? Halcyon+on? I really should just buy the plugin... I was into the M1 too...