Wavestation Users

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
minime123
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by minime123 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:24 pm

i dont recall which tracks, but i remember being able to pick it out a bit back when i listened to orbital and also remember reading an interview or 2 with them where they mentioned it.
mini
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- We Buy Sell Trade Repair Vintage Synths
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- https://tonetweakers.com

rockmanrock

Post by rockmanrock » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:25 am

Not 100% sure but I think Orbital used it for those striking bell sounds on "Steel Cube Idolatry" on their first album. "Halcyon+on" has some nice smooth pads, that's probably WS too.

Marching Pig

Post by Marching Pig » Sat May 03, 2008 10:28 am

I know Mark Snow used a Wavestation extensively for scoring the X-files, and the rather distinctive echoed whistle pattern comes from a wavestation. Apparently, he gave up in frustration at the prospect of having to compose a theme, and brought his arm down on the keyboard, and BAM! X-files theme hook.

Other than that, Gary Numan uses one heaps, almost to the exclusion of other instruments on his "Exile" Album. The album's not great, but the sounds on it are AWESOME!!!!!

ItsMeOnly

Post by ItsMeOnly » Sat May 03, 2008 1:01 pm

The whistle is from proteus.
Wavestation however is prominently featured in several episodes of the X-Files.

lnerell

Re: Wavestation Users

Post by lnerell » Tue May 06, 2008 4:22 am

sensorium wrote:You could get rid of that toy you have there and replace it with one that DOES have a resonant filter. Prophet VS?
As good as a Prophet VS is its no replacement for the Wavestation. The Wavestation has more waveforms and while the VS has a resonant filter it can't do wavesequencing. What you should do is get both. :D

BTW the software version sounds better because your computer has better D/A converters then the nearly 20 year old ones in the Wavestation.
Take care.

- Loren

brian.only
Gear: Mono/Poly, Polysix, Crumar Performer, Juno106, Ion, CS01, K Station, DX27,77' Rhodes 88 mk1

Post by brian.only » Tue May 06, 2008 6:30 am

If I'm not mistaken the Macintosh startup/ shutdown noise was composed on a Wavestation.
- on a trivia side note, windows os jingles were composed by Eno!

I really tried to love it but I had a hard time scrolling and menu diving with so many knob riddled oldies around- I should really look into the plug, probly loads easier to program, but I'll miss the stick...
Also I agree the filter was pretty vanilla, although some of the combo effects(esp vocoder/ dist) were interesting.
sell me your KS5!

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Tue May 06, 2008 10:10 am

rockmanrock wrote:Not 100% sure but I think Orbital used it for those striking bell sounds on "Steel Cube Idolatry" on their first album.
That's the last thing I'd imagine a Wavestation doing. That sounds more like Emax grunge to me.

rockmanrock

Post by rockmanrock » Tue May 06, 2008 10:16 am

madtheory wrote:
rockmanrock wrote:Not 100% sure but I think Orbital used it for those striking bell sounds on "Steel Cube Idolatry" on their first album.
That's the last thing I'd imagine a Wavestation doing. That sounds more like Emax grunge to me.
Well I had an A/D for a while and I'm pretty sure that was one of the presets! I could be wrong but it was a very striking bell sound.

Edit: just found this list of presets http://www.seriously-productions.freese ... vestat.htm

"AttackBell" maybe?

Entropy Farmer

Post by Entropy Farmer » Tue May 06, 2008 3:57 pm

xpander wrote:
Analogue Crazy wrote:Thanks for all your comments. No im still totally into analogue. I just layer it with digital synths for greater tonal variety.
you should get your hands on an SQ80 at some point, i think you'd like it- it sounds both digital & analog at the same time like a Prophet VS.
Everyone should. It can do acid squelch one second and sound like a C64 the next.

princefan3

Post by princefan3 » Tue May 06, 2008 4:19 pm

didnt like mine so much..brought ex...read the reviews ...

all i kept on thinking about was horror movies when using it...so i sold it..

Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Mooger5 » Tue May 06, 2008 6:43 pm

I loved my Wavestation EX and knew it inside out. I miss it and sometimes I regret I traded it for a Yamaha SY85... Still keep a RAM card around with my own ambient sounds. It´s waiting for an SR I guess.
I think the VSTi matches the sound to about 90%, only lacking the depth. It´s more like a 2D version of the real thing...

I love moving pad sounds. One thing I used to do a lot was to put the WS on "hold" (phonebook over sustain pedal), select Deep Atmosphere or Debussy On Wheels, play a series of notes and just leave it there, the wavesequences slowly evolving, always on time, making beautiful background music while I was studying :)

It had its quirks, like the filter. There were other digital filters, even non-resonant, that did a much better job, like the M1´s. There was something about the envelopes too. Can´t find a better description other than they sounded "square". And the tiny window for editing the wavesequences, just three lines at a time was such a pain. Couldn´t believe Korg made it exactly the same on the VSTi version! The ingenious Ski Jam must have been programmed with a much better interface at Korg´s HQ. Nevertheless I managed to program some wonderful sounding wavesequences.

The effects were awesome, same engine used in the A1 processor.
Hard-sync sounded great.
And the possibility to apply different tunings. Robert Rich used them on some of his recordings.

The vector control I´d use for live twidlling, not the pre-programmed function. I think the facility to record and loop the movements, as found on the TG-33 and (I think) on the Prophet VS would be a better option. Some effects like distortion and overdrive had resonance, so to overcome the non-res filter I used to "cheat" on a bit by assigning the effect´s Fc parameter to the joystick.

I´m not a presets guy, but with the WS you can´t ignore so many spectacular preprogrammed sounds. There is one particular preset that was in the original EX banks but sadly I can´t recall the name. It has a lot of drum and percussion going on, cleverly combined with synced delay. Kind of dramatic, resembling the drums in the opening of Peter Gabriel´s Red Rain song. Curious it´s not in the VSTi version...

White
Gear: Quite a few synths

Post by White » Tue May 06, 2008 6:49 pm

I have a Sequential Prophet VS and a Korg Wavestation SR. Both great machines.
Duncan J. White + quite a few synths
http://www.myspace.com/stickman76590059

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Tue May 06, 2008 7:04 pm

White wrote:I have a Sequential Prophet VS and a Korg Wavestation SR. Both great machines.
yeah, the two and Poly Evolver are understandably compared to each other a lot but they are really vastly different from one another.

White
Gear: Quite a few synths

Post by White » Tue May 06, 2008 7:54 pm

Yes that's right, because those three came from the same designer. Haven't tried the Evolver though.
Duncan J. White + quite a few synths
http://www.myspace.com/stickman76590059

ItsMeOnly

Post by ItsMeOnly » Tue May 06, 2008 11:08 pm

brian.only wrote:If I'm not mistaken the Macintosh startup/ shutdown noise was composed on a Wavestation.
That is correct. Jim Reekes' Sosumi was in deed made on Wavey.