Wavestation Users

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
memedesigner

Post by memedesigner » Wed May 07, 2008 7:27 am

lnerell wrote:As good as a Prophet VS is its no replacement for the Wavestation. The Wavestation has more waveforms and while the VS has a resonant filter it can't do wavesequencing. What you should do is get both. :D
Or you can run the Wavestation throught external filter :shock: why havent I thought about this before: wavesequences synced to midi clock, run through external filter with EG triggered by something synced to the same midi clock ... oh yeah! :D

Ok, well that wont bring along the missing body of the Wavestation tone, but hey, not every sound needs to be ... like ... phat. (sorry)

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Wed May 07, 2008 9:14 am

I'm a Wavestation fan with the original/EX/SR. I should say that the keyboard sounds bigger than the SR. Love both the Hardware and Software version, which sounds different but complementing each other. Jan Hammer's albums are a great showcase of the Wavestation in use. Also on Tony Banks work such as We Can't Dance, Fading Lights, and Hold on my Heart.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

RedSky
No Longer Registered

Post by RedSky » Thu May 08, 2008 12:30 am

Marching Pig wrote:I know Mark Snow used a Wavestation extensively for scoring the X-files, and the rather distinctive echoed whistle pattern comes from a wavestation. Apparently, he gave up in frustration at the prospect of having to compose a theme, and brought his arm down on the keyboard, and BAM! X-files theme hook.

Other than that, Gary Numan uses one heaps, almost to the exclusion of other instruments on his "Exile" Album. The album's not great, but the sounds on it are AWESOME!!!!!
I don't hear it that much on Exile, more the Quadrasynth, JD800 etc. Sacrifice is partially built from wavestation sounds- vox concrete in particular.

The Manitou

Post by The Manitou » Wed May 14, 2008 7:27 pm

Hi,

As well as the albums by Numan already mentioned (Sacrifice in particular) you'll hear a lot of wave-sequences on his Outland and Machine & Soul albums, plus "Human" the collection of mood pieces composed during the sessions for The Unborn soundtrack.

One of the distinctive metallic wave-sequences can also be heard on Bjork's "Human Behaviour."

Cheers,
-Josh
Gear: Novation K-Station; Roland Alpha Juno-1, SP-404; Yamaha CS-5, CS01; Crumar Performer; Casio CZ-1000, SK-1 & 2; Akai S1000; Stylophone; circuit-bent stuff.

RedSky
No Longer Registered

Post by RedSky » Thu May 15, 2008 1:33 am

Other than wavesequencing, is there the possibility of real programming or is the wavestation just an imaginative rompler?

synapsecollapse
Gear: MS20 Mini, Eurorack stuffs, Elektron Machinedrum, Venom, iPad mini, DX7

Post by synapsecollapse » Thu May 15, 2008 3:35 am

there is "real" programing.

saft

Post by saft » Sun May 18, 2008 5:57 pm

Björk´s "Human Behaviour" uses wavestation. The wave rhythm patch. A little modified though, but still very recognisable.

rockmanrock

Post by rockmanrock » Mon May 19, 2008 12:59 am

RedSky wrote:Other than wavesequencing, is there the possibility of real programming or is the wavestation just an imaginative rompler?
I'd say it's an imaginative rompler that requires some serious programming!

cram1960

Post by cram1960 » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:22 pm

xpander wrote:
b3groover wrote:How is the plug-in compared to the real deal?
i used to use a Wavestation AD, the soft version actually sounds better to my ears, it's the best sounding softsynth i've used. no vocoder, though.
I didn't believe you when I saw this, so I tried it out myself, and Voila! you are correct, sir. The software sounds wider and smoother than the Wavestation SR...using the same patches.

Out goes the WSSR.

thanks!

Craig
Craig
Powerman has spoken!
Amituofo! Image

gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Post by gcoudert » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:42 pm

rockmanrock wrote:
RedSky wrote:Other than wavesequencing, is there the possibility of real programming or is the wavestation just an imaginative rompler?
I'd say it's an imaginative rompler that requires some serious programming!
I had an SR until about 5 years ago. I liked the way you can say, modulate pitch with an LFO, and then modulate that LFO with an envelope, for example. Not many synths can do that. My E4K can.
GC