Moog Theremin users

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
supermel74

Moog Theremin users

Post by supermel74 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:32 am

I'm currently messing around with a cheap theremin. It doesn't even have a volume antenna. It sounds ok, but I mostly use it to trigger other sound modules with a pitch to midi converter. The main problem is that it has a fairly limited range and it will jump pitch here and there. I guess the question is how well do the Moog theremins perform? Is the pitch consistent? Any other opinions or info is welcome and helpful. Thanks.

Non-Digital Tom
Gear: Chroma, OB-Xa, A6, Minimoog, Octave Cat, Pro One, Mini-Korg, Pro Soloist, Solina SE-IV, RMI 368x, M-101, Baldwin Harpsichord, Mellotron 400D, etc

Post by Non-Digital Tom » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:54 am

The Moog Theremins are real musical instruments, with a range and depth of expression limited only by the player's ability (or lack thereof), whereas most other Theremins are more or less novelty toys.

supermel74

Post by supermel74 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:12 am

Non-Digital Tom wrote:The Moog Theremins are real musical instruments, with a range and depth of expression limited only by the player's ability (or lack thereof), whereas most other Theremins are more or less novelty toys.
Thanks for the reply. That's what I was hoping to hear. Any opinions on the sound?

c1t1zen

Post by c1t1zen » Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:54 pm

The tones from it are very clean and somber but you can easily send it through some effects later. Pitch is only as stable as your hand. But there is no unexpected shifts or anything. It does exactly as what you expect from it.
It's a fantastic instrument for people with a really good ear (perfect pitch or training) and a bit of practice. I've heard sounds like cellos and violins come out of it. Watch some old Clara Rockmore videos and see how amazing they can sound with a good, no, great performer.

nathanscribe
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Post by nathanscribe » Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:44 pm

The tone controls are quite nice on this one, and it's simple to get either creamy or shriller tones as desired. The tuning controls for pitch & volume are useful too, providing good range.

When I got mine, it settled in over a few weeks, and I had to open it up to tweak the tuning, which is, apparently, a standard thing to do. Depending on the amount of space you've got, this might need doing when you move it - anything within about three feet will affect pitch noticably, so if you suddenly put it by a wall or under a low lamp, you'll have to tune again to correct the range. And don't let spectators get too close or you'll sound even shakier than normal. :wink:

c1t1zen

Post by c1t1zen » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:19 pm

Spectators for sure but it's my cat that really messes the tuning and wonders why all the waving in the air but no petting.

brian.only
Gear: Mono/Poly, Polysix, Crumar Performer, Juno106, Ion, CS01, K Station, DX27,77' Rhodes 88 mk1

Post by brian.only » Thu May 01, 2008 7:26 am

My girlfriend has the most fun playing for the cat, not sure if the cat thinks of it that way though...
We have'nt had to tune her's- the tone on it is beastly to woody into serene siren to banshee. Quality little bugger.
sell me your KS5!

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Mon May 05, 2008 10:57 pm

Non-Digital Tom wrote:The Moog Theremins are real musical instruments, with a range and depth of expression limited only by the player's ability (or lack thereof), whereas most other Theremins are more or less novelty toys.
Exactly!
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Mon May 05, 2008 11:43 pm

Phollop Willing PA wrote:
Exactly!
i used to use a Big Briar (moog) theremin and a Paia Theremax theremin... they both performed similar to one another. i believe "theremin" is an electronics term for "novelty toy", at least to believers in this more serious orchestral instrument: