Scored a Korg MicroX

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Shanesaw
Gear: Ultranova, Minibrute, Microbrute, Spark, microKORG, microX,

Scored a Korg MicroX

Post by Shanesaw » Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:55 am

Picked up the white version from GC the other day for $299. Really impressive sound set and the librarian/editor seems to work on the Macbook Pro- intel mac (SOS's review from '06 stated that it didn't). I've been craving a ROMpler for a while now and this should fit the bill nicely. The drum kits are a blast to play and there's a bunch of 'em. Lots of "world" type sounds too that I like. I wont go into too much detail as most of you know how to use the web to do product research but i'll be happy to answer specific questions if you have any.

ronP
Gear: BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO MT-70; KORG EA-1 mkII, MicroKorg, microSTATION, MicroX, Mini-KP, Monotron; ROLAND Micro Cube; ZOOM FS01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B
Band: Keyfish

Re: Scored a Korg MicroX

Post by ronP » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:56 pm

Shanesaw wrote:Picked up the white version from GC the other day for $299. Really impressive sound set and the librarian/editor seems to work on the Macbook Pro- intel mac (SOS's review from '06 stated that it didn't). I've been craving a ROMpler for a while now and this should fit the bill nicely. The drum kits are a blast to play and there's a bunch of 'em. Lots of "world" type sounds too that I like. I wont go into too much detail as most of you know how to use the web to do product research but i'll be happy to answer specific questions if you have any.

Yes, a very versatile synth!

I "accidently" left literature about the microX in my studio partner's lounge -- this was in late August of 2006, just before his birthday -- and a few days later, there was a bright orange "Tool Time" case sitting beside the mixing console.

"Yo! Look what my wife got me for my B-day!" he exclaimed.

8)

The dual polyphonic arpeggiators are gigantic, and the organs are sweet, as are the vintage analog sounds sampled from the PolySix. Check out the vids Keyboard Wizard posted in the vids section; he shows off the microX very well . . .

:)

BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO Casiotone MT-70; KORG Electribe EA-1mkII, microKORG, mini-KP; QUIKLOK T20 T-REX Series X;
ROLAND Micro-CUBE; YAMAHA PSS130, PSS140; ZOOM FS-01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B

Wanted: BOSS DR-110; CASIO CZ-101; YAMAHA CS-01, DX-100

tim gueguen

Post by tim gueguen » Wed Apr 30, 2008 12:31 am

How about serial numbers? Mine is 000971. I'm curious because it might give us an idea of how many have been made so far, assuming of course they have any direct connection to production and aren't just generic number stickers randomly assigned.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

Shanesaw

Post by Shanesaw » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:18 am

Thanks ron, i'll check those vids out. I was beginning to think I was the only guy on the forum that owned one! What i'm finding very usefull right now is selecting any drum kit that has two arps running, hit the "menu/ok" button, scroll down to "arps/controls" and switching the "pattern" in use on the fly per arp by using the jog wheel. So almost like cross-fading without the roll-off of course but by combining any combination of nearly 120 patterns leads to some really interesting beats and all kinds of percussive goodness I think the last work station I owned was a Korg X3 and it really was a nightmare to edit. This isn't nearly as daunting as the korg workstations of yesteryear IMO.

Serial # 000259. Hmm, an earlier one I guess?

keybdwizrd

Post by keybdwizrd » Thu May 01, 2008 4:51 am

ronP wrote:Check out the vids Keyboard Wizard posted in the vids section; he shows off the microX very well . . .
Thanks. The vids are here:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 179B129DFC

By the way, mine is serial #418.

Michael

metrosonus

Post by metrosonus » Thu May 01, 2008 3:11 pm

I have one ..

xibalba

Post by xibalba » Thu May 01, 2008 4:10 pm

tim gueguen wrote:How about serial numbers? Mine is 000971. I'm curious because it might give us an idea of how many have been made so far, assuming of course they have any direct connection to production and aren't just generic number stickers randomly assigned.
ill check out my serial number when i get home (although not tonight cuz im checking out rjd2) but i got mine two years ago.

xibalba

Post by xibalba » Thu May 01, 2008 4:16 pm

Shanesaw wrote:Picked up the white version from GC the other day for $299. Really impressive sound set and the librarian/editor seems to work on the Macbook Pro- intel mac (SOS's review from '06 stated that it didn't). I've been craving a ROMpler for a while now and this should fit the bill nicely. The drum kits are a blast to play and there's a bunch of 'em. Lots of "world" type sounds too that I like. I wont go into too much detail as most of you know how to use the web to do product research but i'll be happy to answer specific questions if you have any.
thats where i picked mine up at (and it was a floor model one ewww) wish i would have gotten a proper used one on ebay.

and for some reason this is the only bit of original kit that i still have and probably will never get rid of due to its easy of use and massive sound library, i would replace it if it ever broke

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Fri May 02, 2008 10:40 pm

What kind of effects does the micro x feature, more specifically are there any decimators, grain shifters, or other uncommon effects?
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.

xibalba

Post by xibalba » Fri May 02, 2008 11:53 pm

nuketifromorbit wrote:What kind of effects does the micro x feature, more specifically are there any decimators, grain shifters, or other uncommon effects?
u know i dont kno because i just use it as a preset maybe some minor editing but barely

i have effects pedals etc. that cover those areas.

Hugo76
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Hugo76 » Sat May 03, 2008 12:31 am

nuketifromorbit wrote:What kind of effects does the micro x feature, more specifically are there any decimators, grain shifters, or other uncommon effects?
From the manual, page 79:
You can choose from 89 types of full-digital effects
for each effect. The effects are categorized as follows.
Categories of the 89 effect types
Effect No. Effect types
01–15 Filter and dynamics effects, such as EQ and compressor
16–31 Pitch and phase modulation effects, such as chorus and phaser
32–40 Other modulation and pitch-shift effects such as rotary speaker and pitch shifter
41–51 Early reflection and delay effects
52–57 Reverb effects
58–89 Mono and mono-chain effects in which two mono effects are connected in series
http://www.korg.co.uk/downloads/support ... ide_E1.pdf

These seem to be identical to those in the Korg Triton, albeit the Triton has more algorithms for the insert effects (the global efx have 89 types).
It's been a while since I used mine, but don't think there are any 'totally crazy' effects. They are, however, very good imo.

hogberto

Post by hogberto » Sat May 03, 2008 2:52 pm

Shanesaw wrote:Picked up the white version from GC the other day for $299. …
at that price it's a great buy.

to buy a new one in the uk will cost you £335

http://www.dv247.com/invt/31452/

which is the equivalent of about US$660

don't suppose they're selling many over here... :roll:
Analogue Systems RS8500 | Andromeda A6 | Moog Voyager Old School | Korg Radias KB | MEK | DSI Tetr4 | Tom Oberheim SEM | Waldorf Blofeld module | Virus C | A Sol Leipzig-S | XV-5080 | V-Synth XT | Mopho KB

Shanesaw

Post by Shanesaw » Sat May 03, 2008 3:31 pm

Yeah, I couldn't pass this one up. The sales dude said they had two left that disappeared and were assumed stolen. Turns out the one I got was buried behind boxes and equipment. I think this one could be "B" stock though. Functionally it's fine but the left corner by the volume knob is a little dented like it's been dropped and the right corner by the power button is roughed up like it's been rubbing against something.
I'd like to rummage through GC's storage rooms and see what other things could be lost or forgotten about...