aftertouch/polypressure synths

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
atom

aftertouch/polypressure synths

Post by atom » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:21 am

i was playing with monophonic sounds for a few years, creating complex textures and modulations but only monophonic ones. i'd like to play with chords and more complex structures but what i need is tha bility to modulate each sound of a chord independently (especially fine tune of each note of the chord), so my question is witch of poly synth or ROMpler (i was thinking of a chweap didgital synth for a start), does provide the ability to modulate each sound seperatly (by midi) when playing chords on it.

i'm caurrently savinf for a Prophet08 and will buy it this year i hope, but i don't know if such possibility exists in the Prophet (the poly evolver maybe?), i was thinkg of an Ensoniq synth maybe.

any ideas ?
----------------
http://ctrlr.org
----------------

memo

Re: aftertouch/polypressure synths

Post by memo » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:10 am

atom wrote:so my question is witch of poly synth or ROMpler (i was thinking of a chweap didgital synth for a start), does provide the ability to modulate each sound seperatly (by midi) when playing chords on it.
The Ensoniq VFX and SQ80 have polytouch. The keys are a bit clacky, but it's the cheapest way into polyphonic aftertouch. You can even use it to control the CS80v software via MIDI.

There are a couple other Ensoniq boards, but I don't think there's much else out there. The Prophet '08 only has monotouch.

Several ROMplers can respond to polytouch, including those by Roland (JV1080 for example) and the Kurzweil K2xxx series. You could get an Ensoniq VFX and a K2000R for around $600, and have great digital sounds and even good analog emulations.

atom

Post by atom » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:00 pm

i don't need keys really (i can't play them :) ), i just want midi enabled

i thought of the SQ series and the Kurzweil's i'll look for them on my polish equivalent of ebay.

thanks for the help.
----------------
----------------

lovedroid
Gear: MEK, LP, uQ, P6, BS, SQ80, UF8, WS, Omen6, Sonar
Band: New Modern Angels

Post by lovedroid » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:12 pm

If you don't need the keys, then there are a several ways to achieve what you are after:
1. Several synths respond to polypressure even though their keys don't send it. Most Waldorf synths do so, and I think that the Evolvers do it too (I only have the MonoEvoKey, so I can't test it).
2. If you intend to "program" the music, then you don't necessarily need to use polypressure to make the changes you are after. If you use a multitimbral synth, you can use different channels for each note in the chord in order to get even more control of the sounds.

atom

Post by atom » Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:44 pm

yeah multitimbral would be nice too.

i'll check out the evolver and prophet specs to see exactly how they work.
----------------
----------------

urgetoplay

Post by urgetoplay » Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:20 pm

Besides the Ensoniqs: Yamaha DX1& CS80,Prophet T8, Kurzweil Midiboard,The new Vax keyboard controller send Poly AT. Most are hard to come by.
Many modules respond to Poly AT, much cheaper to implement than sending Poly AT.
Resonance in Humans is called Empathy.

atom

Post by atom » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:51 pm

dx1 CS80 T8 wow :) i need to save money for a year to get the prophet08 theese monsters are out of my reach for now (unless i sell my kidney or somethin).

i'm looking into kurzweil's more carefully cause they have some weird synthesis implemented, and it's always fun to learn something new, there is a K1000 wih 8 part multitimbral going very cheap.
----------------
----------------

urgetoplay

Post by urgetoplay » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:21 pm

I don't think the other Kurzweil keybeds had Poly At, only the Midiboard.
Any on here know for sure?

clusterchord
Band: Nimbus Dei

Post by clusterchord » Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:25 pm

CS-80 indeed can be multitimbral. u just need to get 3 or 4 of them .. and a bigger house. :D

but seriously, out of newer currently produced analogs, none supports poly AT, cept ive only heard rumours/plans for Omega/Code, that an update will implement polyaftertouch.

i dont know of any new keyboard controllers that transmit polyaftertouch. i wish novation or somebody would finally give in and make one. plastic semi-weigthed and a rhodes/piano-type weighted keybed pleeeeease. 8) 8)

ah yes, there was that ackward looking keyboard that splits in half (physically) that is supposed to transmit polyat. but dont knowe if this has hit the market yet.. so far its vapourware..afaik,,,

jupiter · oberheim · prophet · sh · moog · andromeda · ppg wave · vs · waldorf · yamaha · eii · casio
rhodes · solina · acetone · eurorack · system100 · förster · lexicon · eventide · space echo · svc350 etc

bg

Post by bg » Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:30 pm

clusterchord wrote: but seriously, out of newer currently produced analogs, none supports poly AT, cept ive only heard rumours/plans for Omega/Code, that an update will implement polyaftertouch.
I believe the Prophet 08 responds to polyaftertouch.

waveterm
Gear: A lot more than you

Post by waveterm » Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:11 pm

Kidney....who needs it ?

SELL !!!!!!!

WT
Just a guy with a bunch of blue things.......now, move on !

Cycom
Gear: Mac Pro
T.C. Electronic Konnekt 24D
ADAM A7
SCI Prophet VS
Roland Super JX
Logic 8

Post by Cycom » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:17 pm

Would be sweet if the Novation Remote SL would respond to Poly Aftertouch. Still gonna buy one, though.
"We try to encode the world, decoded and recorded on our machines." -Clock DVA

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Thu May 01, 2008 3:53 am

Most of the E-mu romplers respond to poly aftertouch. So do the Roland JD-800, 990, and most of the Roland samplers.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

lovedroid
Gear: MEK, LP, uQ, P6, BS, SQ80, UF8, WS, Omen6, Sonar
Band: New Modern Angels

Post by lovedroid » Thu May 01, 2008 4:53 pm

bg wrote:
clusterchord wrote: but seriously, out of newer currently produced analogs, none supports poly AT, cept ive only heard rumours/plans for Omega/Code, that an update will implement polyaftertouch.
I believe the Prophet 08 responds to polyaftertouch.
Yup, I believe so too (as I think that the Evolvers respond to polyAT, and it's the same engine).

And I think that there are more Yamaha keyboards that transmit PolyAT, I've read that about the KX88. And some GEM master controller...

Isn't it so that Ensoniq (and thus now Creative) owns the patent for the poly aftertouch technique, which means that no one else can build a polyAT keyboard now without paying plenty...?

urgetoplay

Post by urgetoplay » Thu May 01, 2008 6:48 pm

Not the rights to Poly AT per se, rather their economical implementation of it.
CS80,T8 and the midiboard predate Ensoniq's offerings, each used a different implementation method.