Roland ProMars & Korg Sigma - - Super Rare or What!?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Fri May 02, 2008 8:52 pm

Micke wrote:Guess the bass synth :?:

While you're at it, try to see if you can figure out what was used for the weird melody sound that kicks in at the 0:45 mark :)

Micke
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/From_the_T ... _of_Uranus
Bass synth is Promars, naturally. Was the other the System 100?
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Fri May 02, 2008 9:37 pm

Yes of course, it's the ProMars - played by Andy Pask. It's also the source for the lead synth on "Einstein A Go Go" (controlled by a Lyricon wind synthesizer driver)

As for the weird sounding lead synth; nope, it ain't the System 100M (btw, Burgess used a 100M not a system 100).
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

jupiter8

Post by jupiter8 » Fri May 02, 2008 9:54 pm

By pure coincidence there's a ProMars for sale here in Sweden right now.
http://www.vendolin.com/Annonce_Detail. ... id=5349051
Can't remember seeing one since the early 90ies though that could have been a JP4.

tom Cadillac
Gear: FS1R, EPS, JP8000, Kaos pad, Ineko, SP606, Mopho, MP7 and so on....
Band: Bipolarbass

Post by tom Cadillac » Sat May 03, 2008 1:35 pm

The Sigma was one of the first synths i bought, and when i knew next to nothing. It must be one of the wierdest designs there is and at the time I probably thought, "ah cool! so this is what a synth is!"

I must confess it doesn't get a great deal of use these days and I even thought of selling it, but found a beautiful gltch, which seemed musically quite useful.

The thing I like best about it is that its performance orientated. You can mess with the two joy sticks at once and the assignable aftertouch is good. Its a good synth to play drunk as its so wild. But I can't really rave about the sound. I much prefer the Delta soundwise.
"On the following day , the sorcery undespairingly continued: I changed my series, chose other sequences, cut other lengths, spliced different progressions, and hoped afresh for a miracle in sound." (Stockhausen)

PBIT

Post by PBIT » Tue May 06, 2008 5:58 am

Actually I've got 2 of those Sigmas but only one is working. The broken one is nowadays used as a source for spare parts to my MS-synthesizers. The design on the inside resembles the MS-20 but the outside is much more performanceorientated. But I took the keyboard from the broken one and put in a MS-20 - that's a really nice mod! The keys that's left I'm currently selling on german eBay.

The ProMars I've been looking for a while but it always seem to end up quite expensive. :(