Synths That Never Were.

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
jupiter8

Post by jupiter8 » Fri May 02, 2008 10:08 pm

The Vermona Mephisto.
http://www.vintagesynth.com/misc/mephisto.shtml
Crazy analog poly with motorized knobs.

pour_furets

Post by pour_furets » Sat May 03, 2008 5:09 pm

cornutt wrote:There was a company a few years ago named Lassence that was going to produce a tabletop synth and/or some modular stuff. I recall that a prototype of their tabletop synth got a poor review from one of the big web sites, and the company disappeared shortly after that. I don't think they ever got as far as actually selling any products.
The Lassence Ventury II was cited in the gearlist for Front 242's Pulse album (in the liner notes), so something made it to production. Either that or Daniel B. is so connected that he can get any damn synth he wants.

Not a synth, but what about the M-Audio Surface One? It was a control surface with a bunch of knobs and ergonomically designed touch sensitive areas for your fingers. They had a pretty aggressive advertising campaign for it and there was even a contest in Keyboard Magazine where you could win a computer recording package that included one. I always thought it looked cool, but I don't ever recall seeing it available anywhere. Did it become vapourware, or did I really just miss it when it was released?
Trust me, ma'am. I'm a cryptozoologist.

www.soundclick.com/pourfurets

jupiter8

Post by jupiter8 » Sat May 03, 2008 5:53 pm

The lassence ventury II was made in 14 exemplaries + the prototype,all including the proto was sold.

Released to early so it had some problems though most were easily fixed. While fixing them the distibuter send an unfixed one to SOS and that was pretty much the end of it.

Analog Freak

Post by Analog Freak » Sat May 03, 2008 6:07 pm

Somehow, I managed to make a double post without even noticing. The one below is the one I actually wanted to post.
Last edited by Analog Freak on Sun May 04, 2008 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
"All Your Synthesizers Are Belong To Us!" Literally.

Analog Freak

Post by Analog Freak » Sat May 03, 2008 6:09 pm

My vote goes to the Peavey Paradox. It was supposed to be a vacuum tube based synthesizer (At least that's what I read somewhere?). As far as I know it never got beyond the prototype stage, and a couple of lucky people managed to get ahold of the prototypes. I've never seen one, but I'd sure like to. Oh, also don't forget the Con Brio ADS 200. Beam me up Scotty!
"All Your Synthesizers Are Belong To Us!" Literally.

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Sat May 03, 2008 8:58 pm

tim gueguen wrote:The Moog SL8 was never sold, but there was at least one working or semi-working prototype.
My understanding is that it only ran with its own CPU and its own ROMs once, right before the NAMM where it was introduced. At the NAMM, they had an emulator (a CPU emulator, not an E-mu Emulator!) plugged into the CPU slot, with a development computer connected to the emulator. Apparently, at the show, they had all this poorly hidden under a blanket behind the SL-8. The software wasn't finished when the show started, and they were doing development work in between demonstrations.

It's a shame that there is no working example. It was going to be a DCO synth, and from what I've read, the Moog people had some very diffferent ideas about how to implement a DCO.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

cornutt

Post by cornutt » Sat May 03, 2008 9:02 pm

XpanderXt wrote:The Bielfuss
The Prism
What were these?
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

jupiter8

Post by jupiter8 » Sat May 03, 2008 9:04 pm

Analog Freak wrote:My vote goes to the Peavey Paradox. It was supposed to be a vacuum tube based synthesizer (At least that's what I read somewhere?). As far as I know it never got beyond the prototype stage, and a couple of lucky people managed to get ahold of the prototypes.
There were 4 of them made. I've seen some vague references as to it being a vaccum tube based but some other sources don't even mention it which i find odd if it indeed is tube based.

There's some pictures of it here if anyone is interested.
http://www.rolamtech.com/synths/paradox/paradox.htm

It is kinda odd that it is a 1u rack unit with a remote controller. Not that many synths around that were built like that.

cornutt

Post by cornutt » Sat May 03, 2008 9:38 pm

Didn't Sequential plan at one point to produce a rack version of the P5, to be played via the Remote Prophet?

premieklovn
Gear: T.O.N.T.O
Band: Monomen

Post by premieklovn » Sat May 03, 2008 11:07 pm

After the project died, the prototype SL-8 collected dust for years. Finally I put it up for sale along with a bunch of other stuff at an employee auction. No bids at all! Rather than let it go in the dumpster I took it home, and later donated it to the Audities Foundation where at least it could go on display. Unfortunately, it was just the instrument. The separate box of electronics disappeared years earlier.

Panurge8

Post by Panurge8 » Sun May 04, 2008 3:04 am

I can't remember the name of it, but didn't moog have plans making an 'ultimate' synth with monophonic bass (pedals) and lead, and a poly section? I believe this fell through but the seperate pieces were later released, i.e. the poly section became the polymoog, the lead section became the multimoog, and the bass pedals became the taurus.

edit: I found it, it was called the constellation.
Do the funky Alphonzo.

cornutt

Post by cornutt » Sun May 04, 2008 6:08 am

A few Lyras were actually made and sold. Keith Emerson used one all over Brain Salad Surgery.

Synthmatic

Post by Synthmatic » Sun May 04, 2008 1:22 pm

Stage Electronics Mini
Evos Modular Synth
Yamaha V80FD
Access PG-X Generic Synth Programmer
Studio Electronics SE-6
DSP Arts Tauron

Dave Bryce

Post by Dave Bryce » Sun May 04, 2008 3:51 pm

Designs existed for a five space rack-mount/tabletop version of Andromeda that was never built. Most of the knobs 'n buttons were there, except there was only one set each of the osc, filter and envelope controls with a toggle to switch them between destinations.

There was also a scaled down eight voice keyboard planned.

:(

dB
Alesis Andromeda (x2)/QS8/QSR/NanoBass/Ion, Casio VZ10M, DSI PEK (x2)/PER/MEK/P'08, Korg M3/WSSR/M1R, Kurzweil K2000/PC3, Macbeth M5, heavily modded MiniMoog, Nord Electro 2, Oberheim OB5, Roland V-Synth XT/MKS80/MKS70/JD990/D550, Yamaha MOTIF ES8

seamonkey

Post by seamonkey » Sun May 04, 2008 4:08 pm

Dave Bryce wrote:Designs existed for a five space rack-mount/tabletop version of Andromeda that was never built. Most of the knobs 'n buttons were there, except there was only one set each of the osc, filter and envelope controls with a toggle to switch them between destinations.
There was also a scaled down eight voice keyboard planned.
:(
dB
If anyone over at Alesis had an ounce of sense and vision they could use the Andromeda technology and make these things a reality and allow Alesis to grow as a company. The market is clamoring for analog synthesizers. Use the benefit of all the money they spent on R&D for the Andromeda and now turn it to a profit.
As Fish once sang....SUITS!!!!
Alesis Fusion...DEAD!
Alesis ION.......DEAD!
It's sad to see this once great company be reduced to people who don't give a poop and being reduced to manufacturing Numark spinoff stuff.
Moog Voyager Roland D50 Ensoniq VFX-SD, Korg Wavestation Emulator II, Emax SE Plus, Korg King Korg, Korg Arp Odyssey(Whiteface), Minibrute, Takamine Acoustic Peavey Falcon electric