Built-in sequencers - EA-1 or FR Revolution

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Built-in sequencers - EA-1 or FR Revolution

Post by otto » Fri May 02, 2008 4:32 pm

So I was thinking about getting an EA-1 as a dirt-cheap sequencer with the added bonus of bonus of a built in synth. However, I've always wanted to give the Revolution a spin and the unique sequencer layout interests me. I am very aware of the differences from a synth perspective but I want to know what major differences the sequencers have that should effect my decision.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri May 02, 2008 5:51 pm

Both are dead simple to use. The only advantage of EA-1's sequencer is that you can enter notes in real-time and step...while the revolution only allows for step. Oh yeah, and the EA-1 offers 64 steps in pattern mode and is two tracks. The advantage of the Revolution's sequencer is the slide (303 style), the many sync options it offers, and the remix function. As you know, the synth on the FR is much nicer...but also more expensive.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Fri May 02, 2008 6:31 pm

not sure if the EA's do this, but one thing i love about programming FR gear is how you can make notes hold w/o programming every step w/ glide. just program a note's starting step, hold that step key and touch the step where you want it to stop.

c1t1zen

Post by c1t1zen » Fri May 02, 2008 8:48 pm

@space6oy Yes that's a great feature of the Future Retro. To extend the length on the EA-1 you have to menu dive to get that feature then go through each step you want to change.

synth3tik
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Pro One/Prophet 2002+/Prophet 08SE/Cat/M1/Poly6/Jupiter6/JD-990/SidStation/SE-1X/Microwave II/Matrix 6R/S3000/S612/Source
Band: Batteries Aren't Food/J.a.F.a

Post by synth3tik » Fri May 02, 2008 9:15 pm

The EA-1 would make a good, albeit extremely simple sequencer. I am not a fan of the revolution's layout.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Fri May 02, 2008 9:49 pm

c1t1zen wrote:@space6oy Yes that's a great feature of the Future Retro. To extend the length on the EA-1 you have to menu dive to get that feature then go through each step you want to change.
Come on...while you are right...I'd hardly call it diving...it is very simple to accomplish on the EA-1 as well. If you can't handle an electribe EA menu you may as well only use a harmonica or something. :D

c1t1zen

Post by c1t1zen » Fri May 02, 2008 10:03 pm

If I have to press more then two buttons and dials it's menu diving. In fact it was days of playing with my EA-1 before I even realized you can extend the notes. I still haven't figured out how to do the ties or maybe I'm expecting it to slide. With the Future Retro you can change length on the fly, it's not as smooth on the EA. I still own them all, they have their place and for $150 it's really a good deal.
I hate dealing with screens and that's why I love analogs, The only other sequencer that is spot on besides the FR stuff is the Elektron gear. That also has menu diving but they have a smart layout and don't ask you every time if you want to save a setting. Set it and bounce out of the menus.

Like I said the EA is a good cheap sequencer and it can control two outboard monosynths at the same time or two note polyphony on a single synth. I can't stand the onboard synth and I've spent time to create my own patches.

c1t1zen

Post by c1t1zen » Fri May 02, 2008 10:06 pm

JSRockit wrote: Come on...while you are right...I'd hardly call it diving...it is very simple to accomplish on the EA-1 as well. If you can't handle an electribe EA menu you may as well only use a harmonica or something. :D
BTW I never said I can't handle the EA menu, just I don't prefer it over the FR and I suck at the Harmonica. I like things with 6 strings and keyboards with knobs or faders and no screens.

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Sat May 03, 2008 7:23 am

otto, JSRockit nailed the main differences. if it helps (or makes things worse), i own both and love them equally! the EA is much easier to "get into" while the FR has that lovely 303-ness to it (the glide is also tops, and the EA doesn't have it). the circular

the EA's pretty cheap, especially if you're patient... perhaps get both?

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Sat May 03, 2008 2:41 pm

c1t1zen wrote:
JSRockit wrote: Come on...while you are right...I'd hardly call it diving...it is very simple to accomplish on the EA-1 as well. If you can't handle an electribe EA menu you may as well only use a harmonica or something. :D
BTW I never said I can't handle the EA menu, just I don't prefer it over the FR and I suck at the Harmonica. I like things with 6 strings and keyboards with knobs or faders and no screens.
I hear ya brougham, I hear ya. I love menus I guess...since my only synths have menus.

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Sat May 03, 2008 8:20 pm

JSRockit wrote: If you can't handle an electribe EA menu you may as well only use a harmonica or something. :D
playing harmonica is way tougher than programming a revo ;)

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Sun May 04, 2008 12:23 am

I'm feeling cheap and really need to buy a better audio interface for my DAW. So I guess an EA-1 it is.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Sun May 04, 2008 12:56 pm

space6oy wrote:
JSRockit wrote: If you can't handle an electribe EA menu you may as well only use a harmonica or something. :D
playing harmonica is way tougher than programming a revo ;)
Depends on the person. Give the average person one of each, with no prior experience, and they will play the harmonica better. What I meant is that the harmonica has no menus or knobs.

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Sun May 04, 2008 5:56 pm

How did this turn into a "which is easier to operate - Harmonica or EA-1" debate?

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Sun May 04, 2008 6:10 pm

otto wrote:How did this turn into a "which is easier to operate - Harmonica or EA-1" debate?
I made a dumb joke. Sorry, but your info was already handled. :o