well its not exactly a synth

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
existenz618

well its not exactly a synth

Post by existenz618 » Sun May 04, 2008 4:50 am

so i have a casio keyboard/synthesizer, 61 keys, its midi compatible so it will hook up to my comp but the thing is that it does not have knobs. its will be useful because of its wide variety of stock sounds like brass, clarinet, and other instruments and sounds. can i use this as a synthesizer or do i have to go out and buy a more standardized synth?

aredj
Gear: A little bit of E-muAccessJomoxKorg -
Spectralis2!

Post by aredj » Sun May 04, 2008 5:23 am

You dont have to do anything... Just play it... have fun... use the sounds in it anyway you like...

Connect the midi out to your computer and use the keyboard to play software synths...

tyrannosaurus mark

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Sun May 04, 2008 5:25 am

lots of those casio keyboard are technically digital synthesisers right? They don't use samples for some of the sounds right?

But you can't tweak the sounds
Moog LP + Casio SK1 and MT-75 + tube amp = good tone.

Hossinfeffa
Gear: Roland D-50, MT-32, Korg DSS-1, DDD-1, MS-20, Yamaha FB-01, PSS-560, Akai AX-80, MfB 522, Arturia MiniBrute

Post by Hossinfeffa » Sun May 04, 2008 5:42 am

Is there any mods for those new Casio and Yamaha preset boards? I'd love to see a picture of someone that circuit bent one. :lol:

But on topic, yes you can use that for music creation if you like. It won't be exactly versatile, but you can do it. Something else you might like to do is connect the MIDI out on your keyboard and input it into your computer to play and record software synths.
Well fffff.

polardark

Post by polardark » Sun May 04, 2008 6:10 am

Well.. the old casios are (in my highly subjective opinion) preset synthesizers of sorts. With some very interesting exceptions, the later MIDI-enabled models are more like simplistic PCM playback devices than actual synths.

But i agree... Play it, have fun.. that's the important part.

Just out of curiosity - what model is it?

Denms20
Gear: Korg MS-20, CX-3, SP 100, Roland JX8P, Sound Canvas, Hammond CV, M3, S-6,L-100 Rhodes , Wurly, D-6 clav, Yamaha TX-7, Crumar T-1, Casio CZ-101

Post by Denms20 » Sun May 04, 2008 4:09 pm

Those casio's are worlds ahead of what a lot of us used as state of the art way back in the day. USe it, have fun with it, and don't worry if it's not 100%pure vintage analog stuff.
I have a ton of vintage stuff here, and believe it or not I still end up dragging my casio out from time to time either to use as a midi controller or for a few sounds.
Hammond CV, M3, s6, Korg MS-20, SP-100, CX-3, Hohner D-6, Roland JX8P, Sound Canvas, Yamaha Tx7, Casio CZ101, Rhodes, Crumar T1
http://www.organdenstudio.com

existenz618

Post by existenz618 » Sun May 04, 2008 5:47 pm

thaks for all the replies guys

im gunna go ahead and play it and see how far i can go, i mean it does have about 200 diff sounds and even if i dont like one that much i can always change its pitch and stuff after i record it onto my computer

to answer polordark's question is a casio ctk-601

Denms20
Gear: Korg MS-20, CX-3, SP 100, Roland JX8P, Sound Canvas, Hammond CV, M3, S-6,L-100 Rhodes , Wurly, D-6 clav, Yamaha TX-7, Crumar T-1, Casio CZ-101

Post by Denms20 » Sun May 04, 2008 6:55 pm

Ah, the one I was referring to above is a CTK 561 so you're ahead of me already
Hammond CV, M3, s6, Korg MS-20, SP-100, CX-3, Hohner D-6, Roland JX8P, Sound Canvas, Yamaha Tx7, Casio CZ101, Rhodes, Crumar T1
http://www.organdenstudio.com

sacredcow

Post by sacredcow » Mon May 05, 2008 12:01 am

You'll hate all the sounds. Get a midi to pc interface if you don't have one already (a cheap usb one might run you like $15) and just use it as a midi keyboard in conjunction with some softsynths on the PC. I started out with only an old casio keyboard and a got a lot of use out of it this way.
PowerMac G4 dual, DSI MoPho, E-MU XL-7, Korg ES-1mkii, Korg EA-1, Novation Nova, Kawai K4, Casio vz10m, Casio ht700, Yamaha PSS-480

(5 good trader references and counting)

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Mon May 05, 2008 5:23 am

The Casio keyboard I had was called a ToneBank, and you could edit some of the parameters (there was a pitch-shift function), but if it could be played monophonically, I never knew. One main reason I let go of it is that it didn't have a touch-sensitive keyboard. Good for basslines, brass, strings, organ or harpsichord. Not piano or guitar sounds.
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

existenz618

Post by existenz618 » Tue May 06, 2008 2:20 am

thanks again for the help

now im finally starting to set up my rig

im using the casio as a strict keyboard so i dont have to buy a midi controller considering the keyboard does both :)

now i need to get the rest set up....so im goin to buy a control surface so i can edit sounds without using the mouse to make my life easier...but i also then need a midi to pc interface as sacredcow said

im not sure what kind i need though to hook up both the keyboard and the surface interface into my computer

how many outputs/inputs do i need to set this up?? recomendations would be really helpful

ColorForm2113
Gear: tin cans and rubber bands
Band: Me twiddling in the corner...

Post by ColorForm2113 » Tue May 06, 2008 3:51 am

GO for it and make you some crazy Casio music. before i got actual synths i would run my grandma's roland electric piano (had the typical brass, strings, organ, clav, and of corse piano) into a bunch of effects pedals. i got some pretty damn synth-y stuff out of it

aredj
Gear: A little bit of E-muAccessJomoxKorg -
Spectralis2!

Post by aredj » Tue May 06, 2008 7:38 pm

existenz618 wrote: im not sure what kind i need though to hook up both the keyboard and the surface interface into my computer

how many outputs/inputs do i need to set this up?? recomendations would be really helpful
Most control surfaces will have a midi interface on it...
I suppose you'd need an audio interface as well...

Anyone have some suggestions?... most audio/control surfaces I see kicking around seem to be at least 700$

Are there more entry level ones out there?

tom Cadillac
Gear: FS1R, EPS, JP8000, Kaos pad, Ineko, SP606, Mopho, MP7 and so on....
Band: Bipolarbass

Post by tom Cadillac » Wed May 07, 2008 7:30 am

I'm not good with interfaces - but as far as casio keyboards go.... run it through a mini kaos pad into a good amp.... ah! that's more like it. Also I discovered the ct6000 casiotone recently - has basic afertouch (volume swell) even and is the best of all the casiotones as far as I'm concerned.

Another way to use these great early casio sounds is to sample of course. I use patches from a mt45 through an Ensoniq EPS a lot.

Also there're some modern Casios that do ethnic stuff - designed for the Arabic and Indian market.

But to my ears don't quite get there in the sound department, though the preset rthyms are interesting.
"On the following day , the sorcery undespairingly continued: I changed my series, chose other sequences, cut other lengths, spliced different progressions, and hoped afresh for a miracle in sound." (Stockhausen)