Novation K Station and KS4/5 user thoughts.

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Fri May 09, 2008 5:53 am

Believe it or not, I strongly considered purchasing a KS4 five years ago when there was one atManny's Mailbox Music in NYC. I was playing it and enjoying what I heard. The sound reminded me strongly of the SuperNova II.

Does the KS series also share a common thread with the Nova series?
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

clubbedtodeath
No Longer Registered

Post by clubbedtodeath » Fri May 09, 2008 1:29 pm

There was a chap on here - "24" ? - who could tell you all about it. From what I gather (I'm a KS4 owner), it has far more modulation possibilities, compared to the KS4 which is essentially just a well-designed subtractive synthesiser with the emphasis on performance.

To Brian: I was looking at patches that something like a A/K Station couldn't do.

Here's an example. It's vaguely suggestive of a piano (piano-ish?), I hope: it's a monotimbral patch with two sawtooths and one of the KS extended waveforms.

www.clubbedtodeath.net/download.php?KS4-piano-demo.mp3

Dano

Post by Dano » Sat May 10, 2008 8:33 pm

Music*aL wrote:I am interested in getting a novation synth again. I used to have the A station but sold it because I didn't like the interface with the cluttered knobs. I did like the sound of that synth however. So, here's my question: How does the KS series compare with the Novas/Supernovas?

aL
I have an A-Station, Nova, and Xiosynth and IMO the Nova is different enough from the KS (based on how my Xiosynth and A-Station sound and their features) that I have no problem justifying keeping both. The relationship between the A-Station, original K-Station, KS4/5, X-Station and Xiosynth is a lot straighter line than if you threw the Nova, SN, or SN II into the equation.

The Nova/SN have some really crazy and esoteric synthesis features and (IMO) a somewhat different sound character whereas the K and KS synths are pretty basic synths, not that there's anything wrong with that - The Juno 60 is a pretty basic synth too! :)

Responding to one of the original questions: The KS 4/5 and Xiosynth are supposed to be able to load original K-Station patches. If you load between the A-Station to the K-Station there is a simple sysex manipulation you'll have to do to change the device ID - Since you have to do that to load patches between the A-Station and K-Station I'm guessing the A-Station's device ID would have to be changed in order to be loaded into the KS4/5 or Xiosynth also.

stikygum

Post by stikygum » Mon May 12, 2008 7:13 am

Dano wrote: The Nova/SN have some really crazy and esoteric synthesis features and (IMO) a somewhat different sound character whereas the K and KS synths are pretty basic synths, not that there's anything wrong with that - The Juno 60 is a pretty basic synth too! :)
From Novas I've heard, I think the KS has a different sounds as well, albeit very Novation. Even though the SN is more complex with more options, there are a lot of options on the KS and you can create a hugh variety of sounds. The presets are typical trance, but like I said earlier, you can do a lot of pretty deep editing (but not too deep to get lost) and you'll be able to easily start coming up with inspirational moving sounds. For some reason, on the KS-5 I can make quite organic sounds moreso than other VAs.

brian.only
Gear: Mono/Poly, Polysix, Crumar Performer, Juno106, Ion, CS01, K Station, DX27,77' Rhodes 88 mk1

Post by brian.only » Mon May 12, 2008 8:09 am

clubbedtodeath wrote:There was a chap on here - "24" ? - who could tell you all about it. From what I gather (I'm a KS4 owner), it has far more modulation possibilities, compared to the KS4 which is essentially just a well-designed subtractive synthesiser with the emphasis on performance.

To Brian: I was looking at patches that something like a A/K Station couldn't do.

Here's an example. It's vaguely suggestive of a piano (piano-ish?), I hope: it's a monotimbral patch with two sawtooths and one of the KS extended waveforms.

www.clubbedtodeath.net/download.php?KS4-piano-demo.mp3
awesome demo, thanks! I'm just starting to play around w/ the osc sync- much fun.

believe it or not the k is rivaling the older analogs in play time. :o
sell me your KS5!

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Mon May 12, 2008 10:47 am

Dano wrote:Responding to one of the original questions: The KS 4/5 and Xiosynth are supposed to be able to load original K-Station patches.
to add to the excellent explanation, here's the complete compatibility chart between the newer Novation synths.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

t.o.t.s.

Post by t.o.t.s. » Mon May 12, 2008 3:25 pm

figured I'd chime in as Im dealing with this stuff right now as well...
I used to have an A-Station... then traded that in for a K-Station. Added a Xiosynth a little later. Recently decided I needed a little more for live use so I *JUST* bought a ks4 2 days ago to replace the two of them. Loading in patches from the K-Station and the Xiosynth was a BREEZE. I had my first batch of patches switched over in minutes.

On a different note.. the little changes in the basic operating of the KS4 makes a BIG difference for me. The ability to navigate by patch TYPE is epic compared to the clunky number only scheme in the K-Station.
totsland.net / chvad.com / 8bitaudio.net / darksonus.com / invisiblerecords.com
Moog LP, SCI Six-Trak, Roland RS09, Crumar Performer, PAIA Fatman, Korg EX-8000, Waldorf µwaveXTK, Novation K-Station, XioSynth, KS4, Alesis Ion, Korg ER-1, Etherwave, MidiNES

n3wt15
Gear: a never ending cycle of ins and outs
Band: Armageddon Party

Post by n3wt15 » Sun May 18, 2008 11:43 pm

i had a ks4 for a while, which i loved more then i like my virus to be honest

it got real buggy though, 5 of the knobs were bad and would change parameters by themself...which made playing it a real pain in the a*s

i sent it in to get serviced as it was under warrenty....it was gone for somewhere around 8-9 months, and after a ton of phone calls, i found out it was in texas and was never serviced, they fixed it and sent it back to the guitar center i bought it from, and it was crushed in the mail......so they say

i got my money back, but i was pissed

anyways
i wasnt able to trasnfer the ks4 patches to my friends k station, as i wanted to save them before i sent it out...incase something did happen

and i thought the vocoder on it was the worst vocoder out of all the vocoders ive played with (quite a few)

but i loved the synth

t.o.t.s.

Post by t.o.t.s. » Mon May 19, 2008 3:13 pm

"i wasnt able to trasnfer the ks4 patches to my friends k station, as i wanted to save them before i sent it out...incase something did happen "

yeah.. patches will go FROM the K-Station to the KS but not the other way.

There are about 3 or 4 bad knobs on mine but the pots are only 6 bucks a pop so I'm gonna open it up this weekend and swap them out.
Moog LP, SCI Six-Trak, Roland RS09, Crumar Performer, PAIA Fatman, Korg EX-8000, Waldorf µwaveXTK, Novation K-Station, XioSynth, KS4, Alesis Ion, Korg ER-1, Etherwave, MidiNES

clubbedtodeath
No Longer Registered

Post by clubbedtodeath » Mon May 19, 2008 5:47 pm

t.o.t.s. wrote:There are about 3 or 4 bad knobs on mine but the pots are only 6 bucks a pop so I'm gonna open it up this weekend and swap them out.
Not sure you need to do that. I'm betting a bit of contact cleaner might do the job.

t.o.t.s.

Post by t.o.t.s. » Mon May 19, 2008 6:35 pm

you think? Im willing to give it a go! I'll try that instead then. Anything I should look for for the cleaner or should it be easy to find?

clubbedtodeath
No Longer Registered

Post by clubbedtodeath » Mon May 19, 2008 8:05 pm

t.o.t.s. wrote:you think? Im willing to give it a go! I'll try that instead then. Anything I should look for for the cleaner or should it be easy to find?
I'm no expert in these things and so cannot guarantee, but I have Contact Cleaner from Maplin's (electronics shop in Scotland), and it's in a pressurised can. It also has a long detachable nozzle for getting into nooks and crannies.

I used this on a Yamaha DX200 with a jumpy knob a year ago, and it worked.

t.o.t.s.

Post by t.o.t.s. » Mon May 19, 2008 9:22 pm

cool cool! can't hurt to try!

Blue Monster 65
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Blue Monster 65 » Wed May 21, 2008 3:44 am

Get yourself some DeoxIT D-5, TOTS. Good stuff to have on the bench!

Woof! - Scott
Muhahahahahahahahaha!

t.o.t.s.

Post by t.o.t.s. » Wed May 21, 2008 3:52 pm

I think I need to on principle... it's like the 3rd time I have had that stuff mentioned to me!

I did get some generic contact cleaner from the local radio shack... probably 409 in an Aerosol can with my luck but it did fix my volume knob issue. Didn't help another problem knob but I'm thinking this Deox stuff may work better. h**l... this'll probably help the scratchy sliders on my Crumar as well. I'm ordering now! :)