Moog Little Phatty - will it replace my Source?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Kebabman

Moog Little Phatty - will it replace my Source?

Post by Kebabman » Tue May 06, 2008 10:37 am

Hi chaps. (& girls?)

I love my Source. I love the sound, the retro look, the portability and the ability to change quickly between saved presets. I love the old school mega-sensitive pitch wheel and the time investment it took to get control of bending small intervals. I'm not so much into the crappy cheap feel keyboard though. Most importantly I'm fed up with it breaking down. I know I'm probably part to blame: I use it almost exclusively for live situations, I travel with it in a gig bag on public transport and rehearse with it alot, and use the pitch wheel like mental. My Source keeps wearing out at precisely the wrong time and pissing everyone off. And my bank account. I would like something more practical that I can rely on to do the work while keeping the Source as my baby that can do a bit of recording or just look nice on stage and play when it wants to. I'm after -

1. A Moog
2. Something that is totally reliable and easily serviceable
3. Something that is portable
4. Something that still retains some X-factor in general looks and synth-geek appeal (I know you're never gonna beat vintage for that, but a modicum would still suffice)
5. I'm fairly sure the ability to save presets for different songs has become a need.

The Little Phatty seems to be a practical compromise. BUT, is it gonna be all thin and weedy and horrible and stuff? Am I going to hate it and stare at it across the room while it cries out 'accept me, I'm still officially a Moog' before wailing a sterilised, clean sounding soft-synth lament? At an acceptable volume?

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Tue May 06, 2008 12:08 pm

Well im most certainly well qualified to answer this question for you! As a longterm source user and owner , i would say you wont be disappointed with LP. It will do everything you need and look great as well.

Soundwise i was able to recreate all my favourite source patches very easily on the LP. The only difference is that the LP sounds more produced and tight and is slightly smoother in the tops and bottoms, whilst the source is brighter and a little more harsh with a large but ultimately less refined bottom end when compared to the LP. The Source is more minimoog like in terms of its rawness whilst the LP sounds a little more compressed and refined but in a good way. It takes much less work to get it to sit in a track than the source.

For me, the LP represents all that was great about moogs past but with the ability to easily integrate into modern live and studio situations and with a infinitely more versatile sound than the source and with the reliability you crave. I was caught short too many times with my source on gigs as well so now its only used in the studio along with its big brother the memorymoog plus.

So does the Lp sound as good as the source? A resounding yes! They subtly different enough to justify owning both! The source has the moog sound of old, the LP has the moog sound of new. Both sound equally phat but are unmistakably Moogs albeit with different characters. Dont forget the LP has variable filter poles and midi and patch storage as well...
htttp://www.myspace.com/jazzdoctor73
htttp://www.jd73.co.uk

LP/Voyager/Source/Moogerfoogers/NordStage/Logan SM2/Solina/Memorymoogplus/MicroKorg/B3+122RV/ClavD6/Rhodes Suitcase73x2/EmuE4K/YamahaEx5/Dx100

gd

Post by gd » Tue May 06, 2008 12:26 pm

I sold my Source 3 yrs ago to buy a Voyager, if the LP had of been available then I would have likely gone for it. I liked the Source as it was nice and light to gig with but I was starting to worry about reliability after the crazy source syndrome occurred during a gig. I did keep mine mint, had it repaired and it now resides in a studio in L.A. Every once in awhile the new owner sends me an mp3 of it on a track.
Prophet 08, Mini D, Radias, 2 x JD-990, Juno-60, 2 x JP-8080, Fantom X6, Speakeasy Stereo Rackmount Vintage Tube Preamp ...

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Tue May 06, 2008 2:16 pm

Interesting topic, as I am still talking with someone about the prospect of trading my Source for an LP Stage. I love my Source and have only two complaints about it. One, I wish it had an external input for the filter; and two, I wish I had even 16 more presets than what it already has. I have to be very careful about writing over the existing presets since I use them for certain songs live. The LP would take care of that, plus once the new software is available add an arpeggiator to the LP. I'm still going back and forth over it, but since I haven't heard from the guy in a week I doubt he's still interested.
http://facebook.com/greatunwashedluminaries
ANALOG SYNTHESIZERS + EFFECTS + COMPUTERS

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Re: Moog Little Phatty - will it replace my Source?

Post by shaft9000 » Tue May 06, 2008 2:50 pm

Kebabman wrote:BUT, is it gonna be all thin and weedy and horrible and stuff?
they don't call it phatty for nothing, rest assured

here's a taste:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZnvu_VETR8
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

hyphen nation
Gear: boxes that make noises

Post by hyphen nation » Tue May 06, 2008 3:26 pm

redchapterjubilee wrote:Interesting topic, as I am still talking with someone about the prospect of trading my Source for an LP Stage. I love my Source and have only two complaints about it. One, I wish it had an external input for the filter; and two, I wish I had even 16 more presets than what it already has. I have to be very careful about writing over the existing presets since I use them for certain songs live. The LP would take care of that, plus once the new software is available add an arpeggiator to the LP. I'm still going back and forth over it, but since I haven't heard from the guy in a week I doubt he's still interested.
I can tell you where to buy an LP stage when you are up here, it's about 4 blocks from ground control, and you could prob talk the guys down a bit in price. Also, Oregon is a tax free state...

carbon111
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Carbon111

Post by carbon111 » Tue May 06, 2008 4:16 pm

IMO, the LP is a natural drop-in replacement for a Source or a Rogue:

http://www.carbon111.com/moog_lp.html
Best Regards, James
--
My New album "Persephone":

Carbon111 Website: http://www.carbon111.com

Carbon111 Blog: http://carbon111.blogspot.com

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Tue May 06, 2008 4:23 pm

I've often believed that the Source has already been replaced by the Studio Electronics ATC-X module. The Little Phatty is a great little synth, and I may end up getting one to compliment my Voyager one of these years. But, I have trouble considering it a new-generation Source.

I can definitely see it's resemblence to a Prodigy, though. That's probably what it would constitute for me, a Prodigy with patch memory and assignable knobs.
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Tue May 06, 2008 5:02 pm

hyphen nation wrote:I can tell you where to buy an LP stage when you are up here, it's about 4 blocks from ground control, and you could prob talk the guys down a bit in price. Also, Oregon is a tax free state...
I'd have to make some major $$$$ at that Ground Kontrol show for that!

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Tue May 06, 2008 6:11 pm

redchapterjubilee wrote:Interesting topic, as I am still talking with someone about the prospect of trading my Source for an LP Stage.
Damn, you're still thinking of this? :lol: You'd be better off trying to find some cash to buy an LP...keep both for awhile and then sell the one you like least.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

carbon111
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Carbon111

Post by carbon111 » Tue May 06, 2008 6:25 pm

MrFrodo wrote:I've often believed that the Source has already been replaced by the Studio Electronics ATC-X module.
WTF are you talking about? The ATC-X is a great synth module but it dosen't particularly sound, look or play like a Source - whereas the LP has a Moog-designed filter and a similar architecture...not to mention a keyboard ;)
I can definitely see it's resemblence to a Prodigy, though.
Not really. The Prodigy only has manual sync control via the modwheel but no envelope-contoured sync and extremely limited modulation possibilities (the main reason I sold my Prodigy) - even the Rogue outclasses the Prodigy in terms of modulation flexibility, regardless of its ganged waveform selector.

I've owned all the aforementioned synths and speak from hands-on experience.
Best Regards, James
--
My New album "Persephone":

Carbon111 Website: http://www.carbon111.com

Carbon111 Blog: http://carbon111.blogspot.com

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Tue May 06, 2008 6:43 pm

On paper the LP can do more than the Source except the arpeggiator which should be available soon in a software upgrade. I was torn between buying an LP and a Source and ultimately chose the LP: just as functional – in fact more so, newer thus more reliable, large patch storage in comparison, midi, and some added CV fun. I also very much like the sound of the LP. Here’s the thing though, there are also going to be people that are going to knock an instrument because it is new. If moog put out a new source some people would hate it because the outputs aren’t as noisy as their old source, etc. etc. Part of the charm of old gear is its age and its age effects the sound somewhat… Things to think about.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed May 07, 2008 2:34 am

carbon111 wrote:
MrFrodo wrote:I've often believed that the Source has already been replaced by the Studio Electronics ATC-X module.
WTF are you talking about? The ATC-X is a great synth module but it dosen't particularly sound, look or play like a Source - whereas the LP has a Moog-designed filter and a similar architecture...not to mention a keyboard ;)
I can definitely see it's resemblence to a Prodigy, though.
Not really. The Prodigy only has manual sync control via the modwheel but no envelope-contoured sync and extremely limited modulation possibilities (the main reason I sold my Prodigy) - even the Rogue outclasses the Prodigy in terms of modulation flexibility, regardless of its ganged waveform selector.

I've owned all the aforementioned synths and speak from hands-on experience.
Yes, but he speaks from looking at pictures of them. Membrane buttons man!!! :lol:

7Hz

Post by 7Hz » Wed May 07, 2008 12:33 pm

I had a Source in my studio about 15 years ago - this was the first analog synth I got to play on. I do remember the kinda raw sound it had... it's a nice synth, don't get me wrong, but it didn't feel that refined or even very special to me. The interface was interesting, that big weighted wheel was unique. It looks funky, and obviously had it's limitations.

I had a play on my phrends Little Phatty (ooh err) a while ago. I have to say it was love at first listen. It has a great sound, and the interface is way better than the Source, in fact I think it is very well thought out and just right. I have ever since being wanting to buy one, but holding off because I am supposed to have enough monosynths, and I have to admit the Pro-one is still kicking a*s in it's own unique way, and is in many ways a better monosynth -for me- than the LP (the sound of the Pro-One is more electronic, which I like, and you can't beat the full direct control of paramaters, although patch storage is nice).

As others have said, save up and get the LP and keep the Source. See how they compare over some months. It's not as if the LP is that expensive, and second hand values for both synths is good, so you would loose very little money if at all.
MPC-4000, Jupiter 6, Pro-One, MS-10, Arp Axxe, Ensoniq VFX, MKS-30 + PG200, (Casio VL Tone, Drumtrax, R5, DR-110...)

redchapterjubilee

Post by redchapterjubilee » Wed May 07, 2008 2:23 pm

JSRockit wrote:
redchapterjubilee wrote:Interesting topic, as I am still talking with someone about the prospect of trading my Source for an LP Stage.
Damn, you're still thinking of this? :lol: You'd be better off trying to find some cash to buy an LP...keep both for awhile and then sell the one you like least.
The opportunity kinda fell in my lap and I drug my feet too long, partially because the timing was wrong since I'm going on tour this week. The other part is that I've not had a chance to play an LP yet and I'm leery of spending that much money on something I've never played before (cough...cough, like your MEK!)

I do hope someday to at least get the memory upgrade for the Source. If I had even 16 more presets than the usual 16 it would be helpful.