Moog Little Phatty - will it replace my Source?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
ronP
Gear: BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO MT-70; KORG EA-1 mkII, MicroKorg, microSTATION, MicroX, Mini-KP, Monotron; ROLAND Micro Cube; ZOOM FS01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B
Band: Keyfish

Post by ronP » Wed May 07, 2008 4:25 pm

If you go to rush.com and visit the Multimedia section "Rush on the Road" -- click on the the San Juan Rehearsal slide show -- there is a great close-up pic of Geddy Lee's Little Phatty SE with 02 TOMSAWYER PRESET ACTIVE visible in the program window.

:)

BEHRINGER Xenyx 802; CASIO Casiotone MT-70; KORG Electribe EA-1mkII, microKORG, mini-KP; QUIKLOK T20 T-REX Series X;
ROLAND Micro-CUBE; YAMAHA PSS130, PSS140; ZOOM FS-01, MRS-4B, MRT-3B

Wanted: BOSS DR-110; CASIO CZ-101; YAMAHA CS-01, DX-100

carbon111
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Carbon111

Post by carbon111 » Wed May 07, 2008 5:11 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:Yes, but he speaks from looking at pictures of them. Membrane buttons man!!! :lol:
Ah, so the fact that they both have a parameter wheel and membrane buttons makes them the same...regardless of the fact that their sound-generating architecture is extremely different and they have different capabilities and features?

Freaking h**l! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Best Regards, James
--
My New album "Persephone":

Carbon111 Website: http://www.carbon111.com

Carbon111 Blog: http://carbon111.blogspot.com

Carey M
Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan

Post by Carey M » Wed May 07, 2008 7:31 pm

carbon111 wrote:regardless of the fact that their sound-generating architecture is extremely different and they have different capabilities and features?
Well, I'd say the sound-generating architecture between Source and ATC is rather similar... Two analogue oscillators, analogue ladder filter, monophonic, etc. Capabilities differ somewhat (like keyboard vs. module), but they share a lot of common ground. I'd even wager they sound somewhat similar.

Or am I missing something here?

- CM

carbon111
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by carbon111 » Wed May 07, 2008 8:33 pm

The ARP Solus and Octave Cat are also two-osc analog synths with a LP filter but they're not very similar either. :D

Right off, the ATC filter and oscillators are a lot more aggressive-sounding than the Source which has a plumper low end. The Studio Electronics stuff is very different in overall timbre to any Moog I've heard...you could certainly emulate some patches...but you could do that on any synth. The characters are different.

The architectures are also very different - right down to circuit topology and filter design if only to avoid patent infringement ;)

The Source and LP, while still "entry level" synths both have a genuine Moog filter and share much of the same overall "character". YMMV I suppose - I just found it very humorous that the comparison was made by someone without any experience with said machines based only on cosmetics. From what I gather he's an authority on many synths he's never laid hands (or ears) on. :roll:
Best Regards, James
--

Carey M
Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan

Post by Carey M » Thu May 08, 2008 2:27 am

carbon111 wrote:The ARP Solus and Octave Cat are also two-osc analog synths with a LP filter but they're not very similar either. :D
Well, neither of those feature the classic Moog ladder filter. The ATC does have one... Or at least a very close approximation of one.
Right off, the ATC filter and oscillators are a lot more aggressive-sounding than the Source which has a plumper low end. The Studio Electronics stuff is very different in overall timbre to any Moog I've heard...you could certainly emulate some patches...but you could do that on any synth. The characters are different.
To some extent, yes. But I wouldn't describe the ATC oscillators as more aggressive... If you pull back the levels from full gain, the oscillators, even by themselves, can sound pretty smooth. The ATC circuitry does provide more bass than the Source, yes, yet the oscillators on Source give you more of that classic high-end sizzle. I wouldn't describe the characters as drastically different. YMMV, of course.
The Source and LP, while still "entry level" synths both have a genuine Moog filter and share much of the same overall "character". YMMV I suppose - I just found it very humorous that the comparison was made by someone without any experience with said machines based only on cosmetics. From what I gather he's an authority on many synths he's never laid hands (or ears) on. :roll:
Well, I don't know about Frodo's experience... And I'm not questioning the similarity between Source and the LP. I've never even played the LP... I do have experience with the Source, Minimoog, Micromoog, Macbeth M3X, SE-1X and the ATC-1. I have even put M3X side-by-side with SE-1X and the Source... and... well...

None of them sound the *exactly* the same as one of the others... But all of them share a lot of similar sounds... The tonal similarity is actually quite apparent.

- CM
Last edited by Carey M on Thu May 08, 2008 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stikygum

Post by stikygum » Thu May 08, 2008 7:40 am

goldphinga wrote:
Soundwise i was able to recreate all my favourite source patches very easily on the LP. The only difference is that the LP sounds more produced and tight and is slightly smoother in the tops and bottoms, whilst the source is brighter and a little more harsh with a large but ultimately less refined bottom end when compared to the LP. The Source is more minimoog like in terms of its rawness whilst the LP sounds a little more compressed and refined but in a good way.
I totally agree with this. I tried them both out and A/B-ed them and this was my findings also to the T. But instead of the word harsh, I would say 'raw'.

They're similar enough to where the LP interface makes it the winner for me. Although I thought the Source had a better vibe. I like it raw :lol:

mis psiquicios y yo

Re: Moog Little Phatty - will it replace my Source?

Post by mis psiquicios y yo » Thu May 08, 2008 2:44 pm

Kebabman wrote:Hi chaps. (& girls?)

I love my Source. I love the sound, the retro look, the portability and the ability to change quickly between saved presets. I love the old school mega-sensitive pitch wheel and the time investment it took to get control of bending small intervals. I'm not so much into the crappy cheap feel keyboard though. Most importantly I'm fed up with it breaking down. I know I'm probably part to blame: I use it almost exclusively for live situations, I travel with it in a gig bag on public transport and rehearse with it alot, and use the pitch wheel like mental. My Source keeps wearing out at precisely the wrong time and pissing everyone off. And my bank account. I would like something more practical that I can rely on to do the work while keeping the Source as my baby that can do a bit of recording or just look nice on stage and play when it wants to. I'm after -

1. A Moog
2. Something that is totally reliable and easily serviceable
3. Something that is portable
4. Something that still retains some X-factor in general looks and synth-geek appeal (I know you're never gonna beat vintage for that, but a modicum would still suffice)
5. I'm fairly sure the ability to save presets for different songs has become a need.

The Little Phatty seems to be a practical compromise. BUT, is it gonna be all thin and weedy and horrible and stuff? Am I going to hate it and stare at it across the room while it cries out 'accept me, I'm still officially a Moog' before wailing a sterilised, clean sounding soft-synth lament? At an acceptable volume?
Well, it seems that you just need another Source in a better condition :D try the cassette memory function for saving your patches, long live vintage synths!!

I have one too and eventhough it's limitations I think is a h**l of a synth, i wouldn't get rid of it.

LP. Never played one, sure it sounds awesome, like the Source, and it is going to be on the market some time, so maybe later, don't you think?

P.D. I have an irrational thing about supporting vintage synths, so my opinion is irrational too.
mis psiquicos y yo
Moog Source
Emax rack
DX7 II FD-9-11-100
VFX-SD
Poly 800
Volcas Sampler & Keys
DotCom modular

Kebabman

Post by Kebabman » Thu May 08, 2008 6:40 pm

Went ahead and bought one! First impressions, awesome, will let you know what I think!

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Thu May 08, 2008 7:04 pm

Carey M wrote: The ATC circuitry does provide more bass than the Source, yes, yet the oscillators on Source give you more of that classic high-end sizzle. I wouldn't describe the characters as drastically different. YMMV, of course.
Good point - the LP is definitely lacking a bit in high-end compared to the other mono synths I've played. This isn't a bad thing per se, but it's quite clear from what I've read here and from reviews of the LP (Sound on Sound's in particular) that the LP is a little less bright and brash than, for example, the older Moogs.

carbon111
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by carbon111 » Thu May 08, 2008 7:31 pm

Kebabman wrote:Went ahead and bought one! First impressions, awesome, will let you know what I think!
Congrats, its a nice synth! :D

Please do let us know what you think.
Best Regards, James
--

synth3tik
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Pro One/Prophet 2002+/Prophet 08SE/Cat/M1/Poly6/Jupiter6/JD-990/SidStation/SE-1X/Microwave II/Matrix 6R/S3000/S612/Source
Band: Batteries Aren't Food/J.a.F.a

Post by synth3tik » Thu May 08, 2008 10:31 pm

When I start playing out again I will be getting a Little Phatty to produce the sounds from my Source. I think you will find some nice similarities between them. However they are not the same synth. I find it easier to do editing (studio or live) when you have more then just one data wheel that is prone to stop working.

I have not played them side by side. But I am pretty sure I have been able faithfully reproduce some of the sounds for my Source.

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: Moog Little Phatty - will it replace my Source?

Post by otto » Fri May 09, 2008 1:48 am

Kebabman wrote: (& girls?)
:lol:

Hope the LP works out for ya!
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

MarkM

Post by MarkM » Sat May 10, 2008 5:06 pm

A lot of people want new synths to sound like old synths. I don't. I like different models to have their own sound: a kind of Darwin-ian approach.

voltageHead

Post by voltageHead » Sun May 11, 2008 3:24 am

I own a Moog LP.I think it sounds great I never got to compare it to the old moogs because i have never used one of the old ones.
I like the bass sounds the leads and space and texture style sounds.I like the G lead preset patch.Does anyone else like that patch?It sounds really nuts if you run it through sound reverb.

tyrannosaurus mark

Post by tyrannosaurus mark » Sun May 11, 2008 4:08 am

LP owner here, I've been gigging and recording it regularily for about a year. I've owned a bunch of vintage gear, but I keep coming back to the LP. It's different to older moog synths in that it has a 'smooth'er character. This doesn't mean that it doesn't have the analog feel to it though, it means that it's capable of very tight, warm sounding basses (without always sounding like kraftwerk)
Moog LP + Casio SK1 and MT-75 + tube amp = good tone.