Moog Little Phatty - will it replace my Source?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Murderhausen
Gear: Anyone want a Polivoks?

Post by Murderhausen » Wed May 14, 2008 5:11 am

I have a Little Phatty as well as other vintage monosynths, though the LP is the only Moog I own. I used a source extensively for a one-off gig I did with some friends (this included programming and playing several songs with the unit, and messing about in free time). I love the LP overall and actually recommended it over the Source to my friend, NeonLights84. The LP is undeniably Moog, and you will be very happy with everything it can do. The modulation, while limited without a CP251, is better than what is available on the Source, and patch storage and multiple filter poles, velocity sensitivity, and the overload should be attractive features. The only thing I will say is that it lacks a mid range as nice as its highs and lows. I really feel that my other vintage synths outclass the LP in the middle range and probably even the filter envelope modulation. Don't worry, though, it takes close scrutiny to be upset with the Little Phatty.
Voyager XL*LittlePhatty*ElektronTrinity*ProOne*Mono/Poly*NordLead2X/3*Juno106*JX3P*JX10*JP8000*VirusKB*Blofeld*Ion*OctaveKitten*Polivoks*MS2000*AN1X*AlphaJuno1/2*ESQ1*SVC350*MG1*CS15*DX7II*etc...