Worst Roland Synth EVER!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Fri May 16, 2008 3:28 pm

nvbrkr wrote:Since I'm a newbie, I'll just be foolish enough to say out loud that the whole VSynth Fantom -line sounds like utter garbage - judged by the countless youtube videos made with those things. :D
I tend to agree about the youtube comment - but that's just the ones I've seen. There has to be a good one somewhere.

'Garbage in, garbage out'.
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Fri May 16, 2008 4:29 pm

Yeah, a bit of an exaggeration there in terms of those boards. But I just have to wonder what kind of resale value will these modern sample-based (+VA & other stuff) -type of units manage to sustain in five-ten years of time? If the 90s products are of any indication and you could possibly do the same in software, once there will be bigger units with more flashier lights and presets to make the non-analog purist synthesist drool, what happens to them? Will I be buying a Fantom just for a midi controller?

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Fri May 16, 2008 4:39 pm

Johnny Lenin wrote:Juno is just a name. It very likely means something quite different to a Roland marketing exec than it means to a synth enthusiast, collector or professional musician.

oh! i dunno, perhaps they were into astronomy at the R&D department of Roland ie -

Juno (a large asteroid); Jupiter (largest planet in our solar system); ProMars (Red Planet); Saturn 09 (2nd largest planet).

I could just imagine Roland "here is our latest synthesizer - the 'Uranus 6', because nothing but shite comes from it" :twisted:
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Fri May 16, 2008 4:59 pm

Johnny Lenin wrote:When Roland introduced the SH-101, it wasn't trying to create a classic, but an affordable product that would sell. It was a simple monosynth with a goofy strap-on so guys with Flock of Seagulls Hair and eyeliner could pretend to be guitarists.
I read in Keyboard magazine years ago that the intended market for the 101's was for people on Roller Skates! :roll:
It definately had that "key-tar" effect. Vince Clarke(in a television performance of Nobody's Diary) and Greg Hawkes come to mind. Mike Score never used a 101 to my knowledge, he just did that stupid arching his finger in the air to hit one note thing in the videos.
Ok, back on topic, sorry.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

filtermod

Post by filtermod » Fri May 16, 2008 5:14 pm

Syn303 wrote:I could just imagine Roland "here is our latest synthesizer - the 'Uranus 6', because nothing but shite comes from it" :twisted:
:lol: :lol: :lol: that's hilarious! :lol: :lol: :lol:
you can't fix stupid

AstroDan

Post by AstroDan » Fri May 16, 2008 5:21 pm

Solderman wrote:I read in Keyboard magazine years ago that the intended market for the 101's was for people on Roller Skates!
Oh my god, that is awesome.
Too futurist to live.

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Fri May 16, 2008 5:29 pm

philbar wrote:
Joey wrote:
radam wrote: I can definitely relate....

What I was mostly asking I guess was why can't roland just do something truly sick for a change. They're going to sell keyboards in mass quantities no matter what, just why do they have to be so mediocre these days? I really can't see how an awesome roland keyboard, even if a bit more expensive than the SH-201, would sell any less, keeping the exact same profit margin, if not greater.
I dont find the SH201 too bad though.

If I were new to synthesis and was in the market for a new VA I'd get that one.

49 keys, plenty of knob control, two oscs, it has the feedback osc and supersaw from the jp8080, dedicated pitch envelope (not found even on the virus!), distortion, delay, reverb, a bunch of filter types, it can process external audio, its reasonably priced, works as an audio/midi interface through USB, I really don't see why everyone hates on it so much.

And it really doesn't sound THAT horrid. Everyone is just nitpicking.
me too, though having said that i sold mine for a virus TI, the sound quality is leagues apart to my ears. as a low cost do-it all synth its very attactive however. and it actually has more mod routings than the outgoing Jp-80x0 it replaced!
Yeah I sold every other VA I had once I got the virus TI (microkorg, ms2000, virus B, Nord lead 2x). The thing is just unequaled by anything except the waldorf gear, or stuff like the poly evolver, prophet, and andromeda (I'm comparing to modern gear)
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Fri May 16, 2008 6:12 pm

Syn303 wrote:Juno (a large asteroid); Jupiter (largest planet in our solar system); ProMars (Red Planet); Saturn 09 (2nd largest planet).

I could just imagine Roland "here is our latest synthesizer - the 'Uranus 6', because nothing but shite comes from it" :twisted:
:lol:

Actually I believe the Roland synths are named after Roman/Greek gods who incidentally have planets named after them:

Jupiter (Zeus) - the top god
Juno (Hera) - his wife
Mars (Ares) - the god of war
Saturn (Kronos) - Jupiter's old man

Quite funny really as I personally feel the Juno seems quite feminine in character.

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Fri May 16, 2008 6:55 pm

Funny enough Korg went down the same Greek path with three of their products.

The Delta Δ (which is a slimmed down variant of the Trident)

The Sigma Σ

The Lambda Λ (ES-50)

and not forgetting the Trident (Neptune's fork/spear)
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

crufty

Post by crufty » Fri May 16, 2008 7:08 pm

The a6 is the virus ti's hotter twin sister.

bad roland synths...not sure really.

lets not forget the mdc1! copyrighted samples in a box? NICE!

actually a good box, but surely the history there puts it near the top, since I suppose technically they are illegal?

i don't think that roland has really made bad synths. why they haven't capitalized on the universal appeal of the 909/808/303 is a mystery to me. Probably because churches aren't into 'em.

I'd just as soon NOT roland produce analog devices, as that means less room for "boutique" designers.

btw, I was at costco and saw a yamaha digital piano that cost $12k. 12 GRAND! I couldn't believe it. The sales pitch? This is an instrument for your home that you will play with your children and your grand kids. Maybe it is, but $12k is almost a pool in my eyes.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Fri May 16, 2008 7:14 pm

radam wrote:why can't roland just do something truly sick for a change.
Go play on a V-Synth for a while.

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Fri May 16, 2008 8:17 pm

Stab Frenzy wrote:
radam wrote:why can't roland just do something truly sick for a change.
Go play on a V-Synth for a while.
In some ways, the V-Synth may in fact be the sickest thing they've done.
virb.com/ookpikk

jim777
Gear: COWBELL!
(Motif6, ION. V-Synth, Fusion 8HD)

Post by jim777 » Fri May 16, 2008 8:41 pm

The D-70 is so bad I don't know where to begin. For one, if you do a system reset, you don't reset anything; you wipe everything out of it, including its ability to display characters besides the Roland Logo and numbers. As in:

To reload data, you need to feed it in at about 1 bit per minute, because it's so freaking old and picky it simply fails if you send it sysex/midi data too fast. Not that it will tell you that, you're stuck with trial and error. I'd gladly sell mine for the shipping/packing charges, but who would bother?

Granted, it will keep a shirt off the floor if you stand it on its side and correctly hang the shirt on it :lol:
even Siberia goes through the motions....

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Yoozer » Fri May 16, 2008 9:02 pm

iProg wrote:IMO, Roland's done nothing interesting in the synthesizer department since the JP-8000 in 1996.
The V-Synth would like to disagree with you.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

Alphacode

Post by Alphacode » Fri May 16, 2008 9:54 pm

AstroDan wrote:XP-10. Do I win?
No you don't ,i spent 7 years playing it and it was not really a bad synth had a lot of features for the money and nice piano sounds...

The biggest loser is either Mc 303 or Mt32