Worst Roland Synth EVER!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
gfriden

Post by gfriden » Fri May 16, 2008 10:09 pm

6 pages of Roland-related hate speech... Have we nothing better to do? Like starting a thread on how much we hate some synth by Yamaha? :?
Art is not a copy of the real world. One of the damn things is enough.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Fri May 16, 2008 10:22 pm

FWIW, I liked the XP-10 in 1998 for what it was. I sampled stuff from their JV expansion boards into my Akai sampler three years before that. Any company that has made that much product is bound to make some real stinkers once in a while.
Whether they have the courage to take some risk and introduce something new that is both affordable and will make the electronic music making world stand up and take notice again is probably what this thread is hinting at.

Did anyone knock anything analog made by them? I didn't notice any. That's what I was looking for. Anything vintage made by Roland to try and avoid on the used market.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Sat May 17, 2008 12:03 am

Syn303 wrote:Funny enough Korg went down the same Greek path with three of their products.

The Delta Δ (which is a slimmed down variant of the Trident)

The Sigma Σ

The Lambda Λ (ES-50)

and not forgetting the Trident (Neptune's fork/spear)
A really good point there - that never occurred to me. :) Back then there must've been some obsession with Japanese manufactures naming their products after foreign myths and letters.

sonny1
Gear: Lots of Gear. I don't know. Gear is only about 1/4 of the equasion anyway. 1/4 is who you play with and 1/2 is what you dowith the gear you have.
Band: Press Two for Panic!!!

Post by sonny1 » Sat May 17, 2008 8:14 am

Jupiter 8's friggin suck. I just threw out 3 of them. The last one I'm going to have gutted and filled with candy.
Korg Triton (2001), Ensoniq esq-1, Casiotone 401, Suzuki Omnichord version 200 (electric autoharp). E-MU Ultra Proteus, Ensoniq QS-R. Yamaha RX-8. Yamaha QX-21,Yamaha AN1x

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Sat May 17, 2008 9:45 am

Been reading about the D-70. They shot themselves in the foot there. Apparently the circuit boards say "U-70" under the stickers that say "D-70". The D-50 had a better rep, so they tried to cash in on it. They just bolted on a nice filter and dual LFO to a U220 basically. It's a bit like what they did with the JX-10, another rush job.

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Sat May 17, 2008 4:06 pm

gfriden wrote:6 pages of Roland-related hate speech... Have we nothing better to do? Like starting a thread on how much we hate some synth by Yamaha? :?
I generally really, really like Roland products and just because there are one or two or whatever bad ones, doesn't mean we have to trash Yamaha in this thread. *

.*(We can do that in another thread) :lol:
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

AstroDan

Post by AstroDan » Sat May 17, 2008 9:45 pm

Alphacode wrote:
AstroDan wrote:XP-10. Do I win?
No you don't ,i spent 7 years playing it and it was not really a bad synth had a lot of features for the money and nice piano sounds...

The biggest loser is either Mc 303 or Mt32
Alright, this thread has brought to light several contenders that take it's place.

I admit I have a personal beef because I was in a band for three years with a girl who played synthy/Moog-y stuff and refused to get a cheap board that would be tolerable for that stuff (DW-8000, MicroKorg, CZ). The piano is good, but her number one sounds was this bell or whistle square type lead; that sound through a shitty P.A. will always haunt me.
Too futurist to live.

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Sun May 18, 2008 1:27 am

Alphacode wrote:
....The biggest loser is either Mc 303 or Mt32
I've had the pleasure of owning both the MT32 and the MC303, and for the time, they were both good to me. BTW, owning an Atari 1040 and software, to program the MT32, was very useful.

The MC303 has it's place.
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

GeneralBigbag

Post by GeneralBigbag » Sun May 18, 2008 1:31 am

Give me a month and I shall have an all-307 album that sounds quite good.
virb.com/ookpikk

BlackGnosis
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: See signature image.
Band: Eridani V

Post by BlackGnosis » Sun May 18, 2008 8:47 am

for some reason ym threads either really catch on or never go beyond a page =/ IM hoping to read about Keyboard cases next =D. anyways. interestingly enough it seems thers a lot of repetition from experienced synth users to hate hte SH-201... I like my JP-8080, but the 201 might do well beside it, why? simply due to the fact that when I buy a synth I feel I can do something with it, the SH-201 has a lot of unforeseen potential if you get beyond factory presets, I spent about 3 hours messing with one and found it a good synth, then again I don't own one so that might say something. theres a lot of hate for it however its a synth that does desrve quite a bit of attention, though it seems a tad "condescending" having somewhat limited options, its still very simple and easy to use, hences its beginners market... oh well

tl;dr go answer my keyboard case thread and I don't hate the SH-201
Ashe37 wrote:I find it funny that you're a guitar pedal snob and yet don't own a single analog synth.

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Sun May 18, 2008 11:43 am

MC303 - I paid £500 for this piece of s**t back in '96 and I still had to wait a couple of months for the second batch to come back in stock. Three weeks later I was trying to blagg my money back over a crashed pattern because i couldn't believe I'd spent my long earned savings on a DJ toy that essentially sounded wank.

I also wouldn't give Roland all the credit for creating the first groovebox or dance workstation as Quasimidi were the first company to really make new hardware specifically designed for dance/techno rather than just repackaging existing technologies like the bigger companies did to cash in on a growing market.

Ok the MC303 is a nice toy these days for the money but it was originally sold as a professional instrument in the guise of the retro credibility of its classic predecessors, I was conned.

The MC505 was a massive improvement but the sound engine still didn't do it for me.

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Sun May 18, 2008 12:44 pm

Now for 7 pages of Yamaha related hate-speech :lol: *except for the early CS range of synths*
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

Mixolydian
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Mixolydian » Sun May 18, 2008 4:24 pm

I like the MT-32. I paid $20 for mine. It's a fun synth with some good sounds.

The only Roland synth I didn't like was the D-110. It just took too long to program all those partials.

Villi
Gear: Yamaha RS7000 & DX200, Quasimidi Sirius, Casio CZ5000

Post by Villi » Sun May 18, 2008 6:06 pm

OriginalJambo wrote:
Syn303 wrote:Funny enough Korg went down the same Greek path with three of their products.

The Delta Δ (which is a slimmed down variant of the Trident)

The Sigma Σ

The Lambda Λ (ES-50)

and not forgetting the Trident (Neptune's fork/spear)
A really good point there - that never occurred to me. :) Back then there must've been some obsession with Japanese manufactures naming their products after foreign myths and letters.
Ancient Greece and Rome seems to be a common source of synth names.

Moog made the Apollo (The greek god of light), which became the polymoog, not to mention the Taurus (Latin for bull). Arp made the Odyssey (After the famous poem, wether it's directly or in-directly) of course. Solus is also an ancient city. E-mu made the Proteus (A greek sea-god) and the Morpheus (Greek god of dreams). Chroma is greek for colour.

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Sun May 18, 2008 7:40 pm

Villi wrote:Ancient Greece and Rome seems to be a common source of synth names.
Indeed... to add another one >>

Spectral Audio's Neptune Synthesizer

| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |