Acidlab Bassline

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Machinedrum UW & Monomachine Mk2's
Korg KP3 & Zero 4
Band: Siesta Submarina

Acidlab Bassline

Post by TrondC » Wed May 14, 2008 2:18 pm

I really, really want to get a 303 clone, but the xoxbox is too rare, the revolution is far too big and both are out of my price range. besides, I've heard the acidlab actually sounds better than the revolution anyway.
777's are way too rare and expensive, the ML-303 is impossible to get, the analoge solution transbass lacks a sequencer, is bloody expensive, AND the sound demo wasn't impressive at all.
MC09, EA and MC 303 are big NO-NO's for me.

SO, an Acidlab Bassline 1 or 2 it is probably.
The website (www.acidlab.de) isn't very helpful for certain things (specs and prices anyone?), so I thought I'd ask here a couple simple things I quite could not figure from the website.

I've heard the bassline 1 is kinda funky when it comes to programming, is it possible to create a sequence on an external sequencer, send midi out to the acidlab, then record the incoming midi? my electribes do this for sure (gotta love that rec button when recieving external midi), and it would certainly make the bassline 1 a lot easier to program.

second, there is no ON button? this may be astupid question but this means it turns on every time the power cord is connected?

and third: how long did shipping take for those of you who ordered?

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Wed May 14, 2008 2:53 pm

Ok, on the original acidlab, I believe Midi is only used for syncing...not for controlling external synths or receiving external midi info...just syncing. I could be wrong though. Also, yes, to turn it off...you have to just unplug it. E-mail the acidlab guy...he responds quickly. The II is the model to get at this point.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

crufty

Post by crufty » Wed May 14, 2008 6:29 pm

who sells them?

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Wed May 14, 2008 8:21 pm

crufty wrote:who sells them?
e-mail direct...

www.acidlab.de

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Wed May 14, 2008 9:12 pm

I've emailed Klaus @ acidlab.de for a price for a bassline 2, still waiting...
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

space6oy
Gear: vimpat, citalopram & vitamin D.

Post by space6oy » Wed May 14, 2008 9:22 pm

Syn303 wrote:I've emailed Klaus @ acidlab.de for a price for a bassline 2, still waiting...
i checked in w/ him once a while back, he replied within a day or two. give him a few.

Stalfosia
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: :)

Post by Stalfosia » Wed May 14, 2008 9:30 pm

yeah, Klaus is a really nice guy. Great communication... just takes a couple days.

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Re: Acidlab Bassline

Post by Syn303 » Wed May 14, 2008 10:36 pm

TrondC wrote:SO, an Acidlab Bassline 1 or 2 it is probably.
The website (www.acidlab.de) isn't very helpful for certain things (specs and prices anyone?), so I thought I'd ask here a couple simple things I quite could not figure from the website.
I've just heard from Klaus @ acidlab.de. The price is 550 euros for the Bassline2 (suspect the bassline1 is a little less) including shipping, that's £450 for me in UK pounds. For specs you can download the manual here - http://www.acidlab.de/Technik/Bassline2 ... nglish.pdf
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Korg KP3 & Zero 4

Post by TrondC » Wed May 14, 2008 10:50 pm

Syn303 wrote:
TrondC wrote:SO, an Acidlab Bassline 1 or 2 it is probably.
I've just heard from Klaus @ acidlab.de. The price is 550 euros for the Bassline2 (suspect the bassline1 is a little less) including shipping, that's £450 for me in UK pounds. For specs you can download the manual here - http://www.acidlab.de/Technik/Bassline2 ... nglish.pdf
yup, I read through, but it doesn't say if I can control it from an external device, or if is possible to record the incoming midi notes so that one can program the pattern on an easier sequencer (like my EA for example)..

Maybe I'm just too used to having machines that do this...

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Wed May 14, 2008 11:16 pm

TrondC wrote: yup, I read through, but it doesn't say if I can control it from an external device, or if is possible to record the incoming midi notes so that one can program the pattern on an easier sequencer (like my EA for example)..

Maybe I'm just too used to having machines that do this...
Welcome to the world of boutique gear...and their quirky-ness.

xonox

Post by xonox » Fri May 16, 2008 1:16 am

I have an acidlab bassline 1. As far as i know, the only use for midi is to sync it. It syncs very well with my other gear.

Programming patterns is indeed funky. Editing is not possible. You select notes with the rotary switch, specify if you want octave up, slide and/or accent and press write/next to punch in a note.

You can do 2 bar patterns. No song mode, so no way of chaining patterns as far as i know.

Sound wise, i played with two different acidlab bassline 1 and both were close to each other. It's different than a 303. It's kind of like, hmm, tr 606 vs tr 808 or something like that. The bassline sounds "drier" than the 303. 303 is rubbery and liquidy. Bassline is a bit drier but sounds close. Resonance goes up to self-oscillation. Accent sounds a bit different.

I love my acidlab bassline. I have an x0xb0x and it sounds different from the bassline.

Shipping was quick enough, i don't remember but it took like 2-3 weeks. Which around my place is decent.

Acidlab gear is warranteed for 2 years (i think). Which is the best i've seen for synths. Klaus is very nice and helpful. I couldn't ask for better service. I once needed a repair done and service was exceptional.

In short, my unit doesn't sound exactly like a 303 but it sure sounds great! Check out all the audio demos on the acidlab webpage, it'll show you how it sounds.

TrondC
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Korg KP3 & Zero 4

Post by TrondC » Sat May 17, 2008 10:12 am

xonox wrote:I have an acidlab bassline 1. As far as i know, the only use for midi is to sync it. It syncs very well with my other gear.

Programming patterns is indeed funky. Editing is not possible. You select notes with the rotary switch, specify if you want octave up, slide and/or accent and press write/next to punch in a note.

You can do 2 bar patterns. No song mode, so no way of chaining patterns as far as i know.

Sound wise, i played with two different acidlab bassline 1 and both were close to each other. It's different than a 303. It's kind of like, hmm, tr 606 vs tr 808 or something like that. The bassline sounds "drier" than the 303. 303 is rubbery and liquidy. Bassline is a bit drier but sounds close. Resonance goes up to self-oscillation. Accent sounds a bit different.

I love my acidlab bassline. I have an x0xb0x and it sounds different from the bassline.

Shipping was quick enough, i don't remember but it took like 2-3 weeks. Which around my place is decent.

Acidlab gear is warranteed for 2 years (i think). Which is the best i've seen for synths. Klaus is very nice and helpful. I couldn't ask for better service. I once needed a repair done and service was exceptional.

In short, my unit doesn't sound exactly like a 303 but it sure sounds great! Check out all the audio demos on the acidlab webpage, it'll show you how it sounds.
so, compared to the xoxbox, how hard is it to program a good bassline? I was thinking to use my ESX or EA to quickly make a sequence and then simply copying the note data from the electribe..

I've heard through the acidlab site demos, and they sure sound good :)

I won't be able to afford the bassline 2 this summer, so I guess a bassline 1 should be quite allright. I think I'll go for it by the end of summer if I have earned as much as I hoped I would this summer :)

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Sat May 17, 2008 12:12 pm

Trond...a big part of the appeal of a 303 is the sequencer...so, I wouldn't bother with one without the sequencer...unless you have a Mobius. It isn't hard to program a Bassline 1... but it takes time and you have to do it step by step in order, and if you mess up, start over from the beginning. If you only want to sequence something from your electribes...get a rack clone for less money.

xonox

Post by xonox » Sat May 17, 2008 4:38 pm

TrondC wrote:
xonox wrote:I have an acidlab bassline 1. As far as i know, the only use for midi is to sync it. It syncs very well with my other gear.

so, compared to the xoxbox, how hard is it to program a good bassline? I was thinking to use my ESX or EA to quickly make a sequence and then simply copying the note data from the electribe..

I've heard through the acidlab site demos, and they sure sound good :)

I won't be able to afford the bassline 2 this summer, so I guess a bassline 1 should be quite allright. I think I'll go for it by the end of summer if I have earned as much as I hoped I would this summer :)
The x0xb0x and bassline 1 have totally different way of programming sequences. I prefer the x0xb0x way of doing things but i use my bassline more because it sounds different. As JSRockit said, it's not hard to program sequences but one mistake and you start over. The x0xb0x lets you edit notes individually.

One way of doing things is that i will program a bassline on my workstation. I can adjust it like i want. Once it's good, i write it down on the pattern sheet provided on acidlab.de. I then punch it note by note into the bassline using the bult-in controls as there is no way of controlling it via midi (except for sync).

I haven't used the bassline 2 but it has audio and fm input and accent out, which could be useful.

One last thing about the bassline 1, the tuning switch is not exactly one octave so you have to adjust tuning using the tuning pot if you want things to be in tune. This is normal and confirmed with Klaus.

Oh and the bassline 1 comes with an euro power adapter. If you want to use it in north america, you either buy a converter or another power adapter. I'm using another power adapter that was recommended by acidlab.de. Works well.

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Sat May 17, 2008 4:48 pm

Wait, have you thought about getting an Acidlab Bombass to sequence with your electribes? Oops, no midi.