Synths that take the most abuse?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Hossinfeffa
Gear: Roland D-50, MT-32, Korg DSS-1, DDD-1, MS-20, Yamaha FB-01, PSS-560, Akai AX-80, MfB 522, Arturia MiniBrute

Synths that take the most abuse?

Post by Hossinfeffa » Sat May 17, 2008 12:06 am

I just thought of this today. But I notice when I go looking for synths that some look like they've had more use than others. And it's usually brand related.

For instance, a lot of Roland equipment looks in pretty beat up shape when you see it. But I'd have to say ARP synths look the worst when you find them. They usually look like they fell off a building and into a mud pile. Yet, when you look at Moog's of the same age, they all look properly cared for.

Is there anyway to explain this? I would think ARP's would be taken care of just as well as Moog's. There are very nice ARP's around, I've just noticed for the most part, they are generally in not too good of shape.
Well fffff.

tom Cadillac
Gear: FS1R, EPS, JP8000, Kaos pad, Ineko, SP606, Mopho, MP7 and so on....
Band: Bipolarbass

Post by tom Cadillac » Sat May 17, 2008 12:44 am

I agree about the Roland thing. I notice here that there's a hype arround Roland synths - as in display the logo on stage.
Some lucky synths get to spend their life in a studio and not part of a rock band tour.

Also maybe the more complex the synth and if its orientated to recording rather than live....? Wavestations seem to be well looked after.

Maybe its also to do with the age/maturity of the owners. Or their wealth?
Is it a generalization to say that Moog owners are older/richer???

I think old samplers escape the lightest from abuse. Who's going to drag them round on tour, unless they're a major band with road support. And also the kind of instrument that used straight to recording.

A prediction - there's going to be a lot of beat up Roland SH201, Juno Ds.
"Heh! look at me with my Roland synth in our hot band, with ROLAND KEYS" i feel a bit cynical. Sorry.
"On the following day , the sorcery undespairingly continued: I changed my series, chose other sequences, cut other lengths, spliced different progressions, and hoped afresh for a miracle in sound." (Stockhausen)

AstroDan

Post by AstroDan » Sat May 17, 2008 1:58 am

I'd say when digital synths and boards like the P5 and Oberheims came along, ARP's probably seemed archaic and unreliable (even though they probably have the most stable VCOs) and they probably held the same status - both performance wise and collectibility - as an outdated cell phone does today. ARPs were likely viewed more prog than 'Take On Me'.

And although they look incredibly retro cool now, in 1985 I'm sure they reeked 70's and I remember how much I hated bell bottoms and brown and orange Datsuns in the 5th grade.

Or maybe they were just all played to death; you just cannot beat an ARP oscillator out of tune. That could be a factor over other makes.

So as you see, it's because they were simultaneously coveted and despised...okay, I destroyed all the ARPs.
Too futurist to live.

Carey M
Gear: Akai Miniak, Fender Chroma Polaris, Moog Sub Phatty, Roland SH-101, Roland Jupiter-4, Sequential Circuits Prophet-600, Komplete 8, Reaper, iPad, beer
Band: Nightsatan

Post by Carey M » Sat May 17, 2008 2:35 am

I abused my Alpha Juno-2 beyond recognition... Not on purpose, but things happen... Fifty-something gigs, no gig bag, no skillz... You know, bizarre things happen...

- CM

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Virus C, Super Bass Station, M1r, TX81z, S760, Nord Rack 2, Nord Lead 3, JP-8000, JV-2080, SY99, Trinity Plus, EMX1, TB-03. Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Sat May 17, 2008 4:08 am

Guys, I'd love some pics! :D

Anyways, my JP-8k went thru about 150 gigs courtesy of the previous owner. He took very good care of it then, but it still shows. The blue paint is worn off on all the corners, revealing shiny blue plastic, the amp level knob is all wonky and must be held in place with tape underneath, it has a few scratches here and there... however the worst part is a nasty little gash on the left side, which was caused by an exposed bolt inside the road case it came with. It's not a hole, but a few more years of gigging could have made it one.
soundcloud.com/vectron

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Sat May 17, 2008 10:06 am

TB-303's take a lot of abuse, the paintwork gets worked around the cutoff and resonance pots, users scratching their names on the panel (ie: adonis), cracked cases, bad mods (holes drilled in the wrong places) sticky tact switches, non-working LEDs.
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Sat May 17, 2008 12:46 pm

I think it's safe to say DX7 could survive pretty much anything thrown at it on a normal gig. The same can't be said about everything that it could be thrown at though. ;)

nitkov
Gear: vlt-1, juno 60, poly-800, ptx-8, dx-11, K5, s2800, nord rack, er-1...
Band: alone, ilegalne emocije

Post by nitkov » Sat May 17, 2008 2:34 pm

i'm curious - what's the worst thing that's happened to your synth? fortunately, mine didn't suffer any severe trauma, yet [oops, i hope i didn't just bring them bad luck by saying so! :? ]. perhaps the worst was when i played the gig outside, on a place where wind is strong and there was lot of dust and sand around. it was hard to breathe and synths were yellow from dust, inside and out, but after all it wasn't a problem [like it could have been].

i know a guy who has an ms-20 which burnt in a fire. it's keyboard is gone, melted completely. but the synth works just fine with CV! :shock: :lol:

what are your worst experiences? any earthquakes? lightning strikes? polar bears?
vlt-1, juno 60, poly-800 [soon to go], ptx-8, dx-11, K5, s2800, nord rack, er-1...

MrFrodo

Post by MrFrodo » Sat May 17, 2008 2:52 pm

I think my ARP Axxe was fairly abused when I first purchased it. The top D-key was a bit broken, one of the envelope sliders didn't work and the general playability was negligable at best. (At one point, I remember that pressing on that D-key with different amounts of velocity resulted in pitch variations.)

That's got to count for a lot of abuse, if ARP gear is so tank solid.
The greatest thing we ever have is the will to survive.

Rest in peace, Dr. Robert Moog.

http://www.ericbenjamingordon.com
http://cdbaby.com/cd/ebgordon
http://www.myspace.com/ericbenjamingordon

premieklovn
Gear: T.O.N.T.O
Band: Monomen

Post by premieklovn » Sat May 17, 2008 3:49 pm

: D

Borgol

Post by Borgol » Sat May 17, 2008 5:28 pm

i lost a microkorg under a van - they left the handbrake off on a hill. not pleased.

it's broken by the way :roll:

EDIT: I also used to have a working alesis drum machine with a bullet hole (by the looks of it) in it... a fiver from a car boot!
Last edited by Borgol on Sat May 17, 2008 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Post by Synthaholic » Sat May 17, 2008 5:30 pm

Borgol wrote:i lost a microkorg under a van - they left the handbrake off on a hill. not pleased.

it's broken by the way :roll:
If it was a DX7, it would probably still work. ;)

How about this for "abuse"?

Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

Borgol

Post by Borgol » Sat May 17, 2008 5:32 pm

good god

braincandy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Post by braincandy » Sat May 17, 2008 5:42 pm

Synthaholic, that is truly tragic. Backstory, please!

I've had 3 DW8000s on different occasions and they were almost always tatty or mistreated prior to me receiving them. One had cigarette burns on the keys and dirt all over the front panel. One thing they all had in common, though, were sticky buttons which made selecting and editing patches frustrating at times.

I also bought a Juno-60 from an online pawn that had been shipped in a refrigerator box with nothing but a few styrofoam peanuts included (a joke, maybe?). Several of the sliders were bent and 2-3 of the keys were broken, but the sliders still worked and the keys were replaced for just a small fee through a local tech. I would have raised h**l about the condition, but I bought it for $119 the repairs were only around $30-$40.

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Post by Synthaholic » Sat May 17, 2008 6:00 pm

braincandy wrote:Synthaholic, that is truly tragic. Backstory, please!
Long story short, house fire in January '05. That was my old setup, which I hadn't used in a while (you can see they aren't even plugged in).

I only got back into synths last year.
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda