Buying 2nd hand synths that have never been programmed

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
tom Cadillac
Gear: FS1R, EPS, JP8000, Kaos pad, Ineko, SP606, Mopho, MP7 and so on....
Band: Bipolarbass

Buying 2nd hand synths that have never been programmed

Post by tom Cadillac » Sat May 17, 2008 1:00 am

The thread about which synths get abused, set me thinking about the frequently depressing thing where you buy an old synth and it has no user created sounds in it. This happens to me a lot. I like it in the sense that i feel like the first owner. But generally its a depressing thing.

So what synths have arrived with beautiful evidence of creative programming and which 'virgin'.

For me - SY22, JP8000, Nova (one user patch only) and a few more. All as fresh as the day they left the factory.

Whereas its totally different with the two Ensoniqs (SQ80 and EPS) that I have. The SQ80 has some wonderfully well programmed discs that someone created and the EPS lots of evidence of being in a covers band.
Or maybe I'm just being stupid and these two demand more user involvment?

Anyway what are other people's experience with this.?
"On the following day , the sorcery undespairingly continued: I changed my series, chose other sequences, cut other lengths, spliced different progressions, and hoped afresh for a miracle in sound." (Stockhausen)

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Post by hfinn » Sat May 17, 2008 1:10 am

If I sell a synth I usually reload the factory presets. Most people would want them that way and then they can start from scratch. Sometimes I would leave in some sounds...

Synthaholic
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Motif XS6, TX802, D-550, A6

Post by Synthaholic » Sat May 17, 2008 1:16 am

For most of the 2nd hand synths I've had, I wouldn't have known where the patches on board came from.

For example, the two Juno-106es I fixed up had what appeared to be mostly factory presets, but some were different. I reloaded them with the factory presets when I sold them.

The JX-8P had voices in the internal bank, but I never found a set of factory presets to load, so I don't know if any/all of them were originals. I sold it with maybe 5-6 patches I created/changed on it.

My first D-50 had what I think was one of the factory preset ROMs loaded on it. Not the first one that had the famous sounds on it, but one of the others (PN-D50-03 I think). My D-550 had something other than the main presets, which I saved off as a sysex dump before reloading.

My TX802 was barely touched as far as programming when I got it. There were 2 or 3 custom performances stored, and that was about it. I guess I'm the first one to have actually programmed voices on it.

So, evidence of great programming by a prior owner, nothing noteworthy, in my collection at least. But someday if/when I sell my gear, hopefully the next owner will appreciate my efforts. ;)
Two VCO: thanks to the push rods, one can choose several forms of waves at the same time!
(from a Babelfish translation of a Jupiter-6 site)

Yamaha: Motif XS6, TX802 Roland: D-550 Alesis: A6 Andromeda

Jack Spider
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator
Gear: -
Bit One
Boss DR-220
Boss DR-660
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Korg LP-10
Roland XP-50
Yamaha QX21

Post by Jack Spider » Sat May 17, 2008 1:41 am

I also restore any instrument I sell to factory defaults, whenever possible and create a 'blank' patch for the new owner to create patches from scratch.

I even programmed the factory presets back into the Juno 60, Poly 800 and Poly 61, when I sold them.
I didn't get where I am today by posting on internet forums.
http://www.myspace.com/thegreenalsatian
http://www.soundclick.com/greenalsatian

kvnvk

Post by kvnvk » Sat May 17, 2008 2:59 am

if I'm selling a synth which has a simple button combination to restore the factory settings I almost always make use of it. with stuff like the Nords, DSI Evolover and Virus B which require them to be hooked up to the computer editor to reload the factory settings I didn't even bother and sent them all out with a good amount of sounds I had edited myself. I seriously doubt many people would get much use out of my sounds anyway, so not something I normally worry about.

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, DX7, TX7, Juno-106, AX60, Pro One, S1000, M1r, Live 9, iMac MC309XX/A

Post by Alex E » Sat May 17, 2008 3:56 am

All of mine were factory set, I think, except my JP8k and MS2000. JP-8k had a nice hoover patch I overwrote without thinking. Wish I had kept it! And C1t1zen I think was the person who made a drum machine-esque patch with the MS2k probably courtesy of that tutorial on youtube.

I think whoever is the next owner of my JP8k, if there ever will be one, is going to really love what I've programmed in. I have no user performances left to use! I've overwritten them all, so when I have a new performance I've made that I like, I try to remember a performance I won't regret overwriting. I think it's time to get a JP8k librarian.
soundcloud.com/vectron

Hossinfeffa
Gear: Roland D-50, MT-32, Korg DSS-1, DDD-1, MS-20, Yamaha FB-01, PSS-560, Akai AX-80, MfB 522, Arturia MiniBrute

Post by Hossinfeffa » Sat May 17, 2008 5:15 am

My D-50 came with some custom sounds, and some sounds from the other PN cards. Mostly organs and acoustic instruments. I saved the sounds and then started it with sounds that I wanted on it. (From other cards of different dates.. also, with some custom sounds sent to me by D-Collector. :) )

If I were ever to sell a synth, I would probably put the original presets back in. A lot of the time, people buying the synth expect to get THAT sound. I also wouldn't want to send a synth with my custom sounds on it because, well.. they're my sounds. I mean, it would be cool to hear others use them, but in a sense I feel like they were taken? I'm not trying to come off as arrogant, it's just a weird feeling.
Well fffff.

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Sat May 17, 2008 5:25 am

I usually reload factory sounds but sometimes I get lazy and send them out as is.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

sonny1
Gear: Lots of Gear. I don't know. Gear is only about 1/4 of the equasion anyway. 1/4 is who you play with and 1/2 is what you dowith the gear you have.
Band: Press Two for Panic!!!

Post by sonny1 » Sat May 17, 2008 7:49 am

hfinn wrote:If I sell a synth I usually reload the factory presets. Most people would want them that way and then they can start from scratch. Sometimes I would leave in some sounds...
I was going to say the same. I didn't want to sell something that has all my personal settings inside....I don't know, I've never wanted to buy a synth I had to erase before starting to work with it. I think it's more of a "do unto others as you would have them do unto you " type of thing with me.
Korg Triton (2001), Ensoniq esq-1, Casiotone 401, Suzuki Omnichord version 200 (electric autoharp). E-MU Ultra Proteus, Ensoniq QS-R. Yamaha RX-8. Yamaha QX-21,Yamaha AN1x

Synthetica

Post by Synthetica » Sat May 17, 2008 7:15 pm

I always factory restore before selling and usually when buying as well.

Analogue Crazy
Gear: Alesis Andromeda
Korg MS20 Mini
Korg Micro Preset
Korg DS-8
Yamaha Motif 7
Yamaha DX11

Post by Analogue Crazy » Sat May 17, 2008 9:04 pm

Roland JP-8000
Korg Wavestation EX
Korg M1
Casio CZ-5000

When i bought these, they had never been programmed. Sad aint it.
A6 Andromeda, MS20 Mini, M500SP, DS-8, Motif 7, DX11,

BlackGnosis
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: See signature image.
Band: Eridani V

Post by BlackGnosis » Sat May 17, 2008 9:17 pm

MY SP-303 samples were wasted but they were heavily tweaked originals.

however my JP-8080 was untouched to.. quite literally I think the previous twoowners just never touched it, neither knew how to work it and the knobs still feel newish stiff still, I'll break em in in a few months ;)

so far the JP-80x0 seems very misunderstood =(.

I'll admit it CAN be a difficult synth and isnt something I'd reccomend to a noob unless they've got a lot of patiences and a steady hand... but still a very nice synth!
Ashe37 wrote:I find it funny that you're a guitar pedal snob and yet don't own a single analog synth.

synth3tik
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Pro One/Prophet 2002+/Prophet 08SE/Cat/M1/Poly6/Jupiter6/JD-990/SidStation/SE-1X/Microwave II/Matrix 6R/S3000/S612/Source
Band: Batteries Aren't Food/J.a.F.a

Post by synth3tik » Sat May 17, 2008 9:32 pm

I also usually load the factory sets, let people start out with a fresh synth. I personally like when I get a 2nd hand synth and it is set up like new. 1. It makes it feel like I am the first owner, 2. It prevents me from feeling guilty of using someone else's sounds, 3. Finally it makes it easier to figure where things are at with the sound. If someone did some crazy routing and FXs it can be hard to figure how to undo it.

The Manitou

Post by The Manitou » Sun May 18, 2008 3:55 am

My Alpha Juno-1 had a bunch of sounds that were slight variations on the presets. I bought it from a tech, but Judging by the nature of the user patches and the way they were laid out in the program banks, the synth was likely owned by someone in a pub band/covers band. Some of the patches had odd names like "W Houston," which gives further credence to my somewhat disturbing theory ;)

The only sound of any worth that I kept, is a warm poly-synth that sounded a lot like the haunting bass from Berlin's "Take My Breath Away" after I tweaked the DCO envelope a few cents.

The Juno-1 originally came with a full set of factory sounds in the user bank. So the famous "What The...?/Hoover" sound was nowhere to be found. Sysex to the rescue, on that front. But I haven't found a use for the Hoover in my music yet so it's a moot point.

Cheers,
-Josh
Gear: Novation K-Station; Roland Alpha Juno-1, SP-404; Yamaha CS-5, CS01; Crumar Performer; Casio CZ-1000, SK-1 & 2; Akai S1000; Stylophone; circuit-bent stuff.

Rusty O'Hara

Re: Buying 2nd hand synths that have never been programmed

Post by Rusty O'Hara » Sun May 18, 2008 5:45 am

tom Cadillac wrote:So what synths have arrived with beautiful evidence of creative programming

None really, any that had programs tended to just be presets.
tom Cadillac wrote:and which 'virgin'.
Novation SuperNova II. Never been touched, just like a virgin.