Korg Prophecy appreciation thread

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
steveman

Post by steveman » Sun May 18, 2008 12:09 am

AstroDan wrote:How many other digital synths are mono?

I want to know.
The Yamaha VL Series VL-1(M), VL-7,VL-70-M. Err... Casio VL-Tone :wink:

haricots
Gear: 5U modular, Tetra MAPS, MD UW, XS, 777, Pro One, JX-3P, Wavestation, Pulse+, Drumstation, S-760

Post by haricots » Sun May 18, 2008 12:26 am

I've always regretted selling mine. I bought it the first week it was out. :(

Juno6

Post by Juno6 » Sun May 18, 2008 12:32 am

Phollop Willing PA wrote:
Jexus wrote:According to wikipedia:

The Korg Prophecy is considered one of the earliest (mid-nineties) "virtual analog" (a.k.a. VA) synthesizers, although its synthesis capabilities went beyond many of its VA contemporaries.....

........Probably, the most valuated and used DSP models were the analog model (based on the classic osc+filter+amp scheme, although with many powerful enhancements), the VPM model (some sort of FM synthesis which cleverly avoided Yamaha's FM patent) and the "physical modeling"algorithms.....
This is why it doesn't mention FM per se, but from what I can tell, VPM is really FM (under a different name).

Perhaps more digging is in order to clarify?

The SOS article also suggests the same:

"The FM -- sorry, VPM -- sounds produced all the classic 'metal things being hit' that the DX7 was so famous for, as well as some big, angry, modulated sounds reminiscent of someone dismantling a corrugated iron shed with a chainsaw, monitored through a flanger. "

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/1995_ar ... ?print=yes
Technically, the DX7 uses Phase Modulation, not Frequency Modulation.

8bit9bot
No Longer Registered

Post by 8bit9bot » Sun May 18, 2008 6:08 am

ah yeah thats more complex than the ms2000 for sure - i wonder why they dont make an update to the prophecy/z1 (edit: instead of having made the ms2000, microkorg, etc) - every move the big companies make seem wrong

SickMonkey

Post by SickMonkey » Sun May 18, 2008 7:07 am

How do the modeled acoustic instruments (trumpets and whatnot) in the prophecy sound today, from a realism viewpoint? I seem to remember liking them when i owned a P, but that was like 1997...

Soundwave

Post by Soundwave » Sun May 18, 2008 11:52 am

s**t zippy filters with a horrible resonance above 60% but an excellent front end for shoving though analogue filters or an external 'filter in'.

I made a very convincing Odyssey VCO emulation and the physical modeling sounds are still quite unique even today.

The envelope programming is a ball ache with having to swap from rates and levels on two different screens and the 'log' isn't the best controller to use.

The MIDI is very comprehensive and the modulation options were quite a leap forward for digital synths in its time.

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Sun May 18, 2008 1:13 pm

Soundwave wrote:
...The envelope programming is a ball ache with having to swap from rates and levels on two different screens and the 'log' isn't the best controller to use.

The MIDI is very comprehensive and the modulation options were quite a leap forward for digital synths in its time.
I love the 'log'! The log should've been continued on other models.

Don't dis the log - the log is God :lol:
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

shaft9000
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Whips chains waxes oils dildos DMT TNT the LHC, and a black rubber duckie
Band: moneymoneymoney

Post by shaft9000 » Sun May 18, 2008 3:47 pm

lots of mixed feelings regarding this one.
i had one for almost ten years until late last year.

thoughts:

it has waaaaay more synthesis options than the ms2000. galaxies more.
analog modeling, fm ="vpm", comb filter osc, reed, perc. & brass modeling, 6 EG's, 4 LFO's and more fx. it also sounds very different.

the basic sound is quite good - big and relatively warm. the problems are the encoder stepping and processor-lag when modifying multiple parameters simultaneously. also the sounds get very metallic when the osc's or fx are accumulated - a common gripe w/ digital synths but even more noticeable in the Prophecy.

On a more basic level the general tone is typically Korg (spacey and burbly) but with a metallic edge that never disappears completely and increases w/ the addition of more oscs and fx. it sounds strangely aggressive but is not all that 'punchy' due to the software envelopes.

fun to tweak and play with; but a nightmare to do any idea-based programming. this is NOT a friendly programmer's synth.... unless your idea of creativity is to spring $150 for the Progenie app and stare at a f**k computer screen while you make your "edits". most unmusically friendly, and not at all responsive the way a good old analog is.

all in all the Prophecy was a great idea that packed more than it ever needed into a cheapy goofy case. it is a very good synth, don't misunderstand....but Korg should have spent a bit more time and been more critical with how the processor performs under multiple tweaks - sadly this problem alone keeps a good synth from becoming one of the truly great ones.
this synth is for people that want to explore the weird, wide world of digital synthesis, NOT analog afficionados!

still, it's a unique piece and if you get the bug for one then only the Prophecy will do. Z1 doesn't sound or behave quite the same, to be sure.
2600.solus.modcan a.eurorack.cs60.JP8.Juno6.A6.sunsyn.volcakeys.jd990.tb303.x0xb0x.revolution.
999.m1am1.RY30.svc350.memotron

shaft9000.muffwiggler.com <- singles & mixtape
shaft9000.bandcamp.com <- spacemusic album
youtube.com/shaft9000 <- various synth demos and studies

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Sun May 18, 2008 3:55 pm

AstroDan wrote:How many other digital synths are mono?

I want to know.
Digital? ... MFB Synth Lite II. However, the proper question should be how many VAs are monophonic.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

iProg
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Prophet-5, Prophet VS, Pro-One, Moog Prodigy, ARP Axxe, Korg PolySix, Roland D-50
Band: ArtWithHeart

Post by iProg » Mon May 19, 2008 8:21 am

I've never got to try one, so far, but from what I've heard they are worth checking out!

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Re: Korg Prophecy appreciation thread

Post by crystalmsc » Mon May 19, 2008 10:51 am

Phollop Willing PA wrote:I couldn't do without patch A47 Phase Wind Motion.
that's one of the synth signature sound that I also like from the solo board inside the Trinity.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

tom Cadillac
Gear: FS1R, EPS, JP8000, Kaos pad, Ineko, SP606, Mopho, MP7 and so on....
Band: Bipolarbass

Post by tom Cadillac » Sat May 24, 2008 3:53 am

It's great but frustrating. Got a good sharp fat sound to it and a wonderful expressive keyboard - great aftertouch and two mod wheels = THE LOG.
Yeah its a bass synth as its meant to be.

But its built badly - the output sockets crackle and fail. And i think there's another major wear and tear issue I'v forgotten... but am sort of waiting to discover when mine gets it. :(

The simulation patches are v good and I can make pretend trumpet better than any other synth I'v played, BUT I want to make up these wind instruments that are new - venusian saxs and so on and I can,t work out how to program the damn thing. Its v complex and not user freiendly. Also sound cards are unavailable/expensive. o both v good and v bad.
Better in a way to never get one bcause it,ll just sit there mocking you while you do mono bass with other things.
"On the following day , the sorcery undespairingly continued: I changed my series, chose other sequences, cut other lengths, spliced different progressions, and hoped afresh for a miracle in sound." (Stockhausen)

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Sun May 25, 2008 3:38 pm

tom Cadillac wrote:It's great but frustrating. Got a good sharp fat sound to it and a wonderful expressive keyboard - great aftertouch and two mod wheels = THE LOG.
Yeah its a bass synth as its meant to be.
wrong.
tom Cadillac wrote:The simulation patches are v good and I can make pretend trumpet better than any other synth I'v played, BUT I want to make up these wind instruments that are new - venusian saxs and so on and I can,t work out how to program the damn thing. Its v complex and not user freiendly. Also sound cards are unavailable/expensive. o both v good and v bad.
Better in a way to never get one bcause it,ll just sit there mocking you while you do mono bass with other things.
may b its u whu has duh problem and not the sinth.

I cant believe people think this thing is difficult to program. Just keep a copy of the parameter sheer (unless you can remember what CC16 is and how it will modulate) and you can rock out. I have made tons of fun patches with the Physical Modeling, VPM, and Comb oscillators. My prophecy is the closest thing I have to a guitar in my rig and it works wonderfully. And just look at all those options for LFO waveforms! All you need to work it is a head outside of your a*s (difficult to find, for sure).

Only one real issue is no patch scrolling via the wheel, only irritating button presses. Kind of irritating in a synth so well implemented for live use.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

mute

Post by mute » Thu May 29, 2008 2:10 am

8bit9bot wrote:ah yeah thats more complex than the ms2000 for sure -
what? you're crazy. ms2000 has much more going on. both synths are deep tho, and im not doggin on the prophecy.. i used to own one and often miss it.. but to say the ms2000 is thin in comparison or to say the prophecy is more 'complex' is just crazy talk. CRAZY. almost as crazy as suggesting korg made a mistake by creating it...which is nearly scandalous. :?

the two synths shouldn't even really be mentioned in the same breath outside of 'korg' and that they both include v/a features (and both go beyond that). outside of that the comparison stops. i'd recommend either.. but i wouldn't put them up against each other. it'd be easier to bash other competitor's V/A engines of the time(s) or lack of features. :D

tom Cadillac
Gear: FS1R, EPS, JP8000, Kaos pad, Ineko, SP606, Mopho, MP7 and so on....
Band: Bipolarbass

Post by tom Cadillac » Thu May 29, 2008 7:17 am

Dear Mr Tallowaters. Sorry but I feel bad if I infer people are calling me stupid. I'm sure you don't want to upset anyone.

Anyway to the question in hand. You're probably right about trying harder.
I'll try some more programming soon and use your suggestion about keeping the parameter sheet to hand. I hope with more work and encouragement I'll get better results.

I felt I'd been over negative about the prophecy. I used a bass patch today and it was v good. I think it was "jeff bass' - it had just the right tone for what I wanted.
"On the following day , the sorcery undespairingly continued: I changed my series, chose other sequences, cut other lengths, spliced different progressions, and hoped afresh for a miracle in sound." (Stockhausen)