ARP Solus $1900! You gotta be kidding?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://soundcloud.com/heath-finnie

Post by hfinn » Tue May 20, 2008 11:56 pm

Does that mean he has to list them for that? I'm all for keeping synths at attainable prices, but either he will sell it at that price or he will not. If he does sell it then it was a good price for him to list it at. If no one bids it will probably be re-listed at a lower price.

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Wed May 21, 2008 12:02 am

Of course not, but $8,500 more than the highest completed listing seems er, unusual.

Also, there seems to be quite a few listings available other than the $10,000 one with quite a few buy it now prices around the $1,500 mark.

Did you list it? :lol:
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

JSRockit
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by JSRockit » Wed May 21, 2008 12:30 am

Phollop Willing PA wrote:
hfinn wrote:I actually don't think this is that strange. It is in stellar shape and he has a best offer option. Probably has the BIN price high to raise the price of the offers.
Completed items shows:

$1,150.00 - $1,500 with most around $1,100 - $1,200

so...?
I saw an Octave Cat go for $1800 just because it was mint when all other cats were going for $500-700 awhile back. Some collectors will pay a premium for the "perfect" version for their personal synth museum.
Korg Volcas / 6 x TE POs / MicroBrute / EH Space Drum & Crash Pad

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by hfinn » Wed May 21, 2008 1:01 am

Phollop Willing PA wrote:Of course not, but $8,500 more than the highest completed listing seems er, unusual.

Also, there seems to be quite a few listings available other than the $10,000 one with quite a few buy it now prices around the $1,500 mark.
All of my comments were being directed at the $1,900 Solus.

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Wed May 21, 2008 1:10 am

hfinn wrote:
Phollop Willing PA wrote:Of course not, but $8,500 more than the highest completed listing seems er, unusual.

All of my comments were being directed at the $1,900 Solus.
ohhhh.... I'm so embarrassed. Well that makes far more sense. The Solus not the Fantome. Of course.

And here I am reading the thread linearly.

I feel I need to apologize somehow.

Sorry :oops:

At least we're back on track now.
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by hfinn » Wed May 21, 2008 2:14 am

No worries, it's all good. ;)

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Wed May 21, 2008 2:26 am

Synthaholic wrote:
Jack Spider wrote:Prices for synths are going through the roof on eBay - especially here in the UK. A lot of folk think that by adding 'rare' or 'vintage' to an auction, it means they can double the asking price! :shock:
Time to list my "rare vintage mint" Motif XS6 for some huge money! :D

How about this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/Roland-Fantom-X6-Ke ... dZViewItem

Funny how it has no bids. ;)
Ah yes, but that's the very rare and special reverse left handed version. Very few were ever made, which makes them so valuable.

Villi
Gear: Yamaha RS7000 & DX200, Quasimidi Sirius, Casio CZ5000

Post by Villi » Wed May 21, 2008 10:18 am

Ah yes, the famous "dnaloR motnaF aX"!

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Wed May 21, 2008 11:20 am

People are asking stupid prices for even DCO synths these days over here, just as long as there's something namely "analog" there. Some of those adds are pathetic at best with their item descroptions, but hey, if somebody pays in the end that inflated price everyone's happy, right? But more and more of those ads are being thankfully ignored by buyers, and I think on these auction sites you SHOULD be allowed to leave comments on the asking prices. At least by people who've purcheased more valuable items in the same categories before.

But I mean if I'd be smart, I could myself consider taking as much study loan now as possible and investing in these things, keeping them unplayed for some ten years, then sell them. :wink:

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by hfinn » Wed May 21, 2008 1:23 pm

I do not think you should be able to comment on prices. People will start leaving comments in spite and nothing good will come of it. If someone is willing to pay that price than who cares. If you know better than that's good for you. People can do their own research.

nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Wed May 21, 2008 1:47 pm

Yeah. It's not the greatest idea in itself, but the prices on many older (can be read simply also as "used") items have gone through the roof because of the internet. It's no longer about hunting for the items from exchange stores, flea markets or even dedicated music gear stores - everything is focused on only several places where you can even potentially look for these things and that creates a sort of a monopoly -like setting. But the asking prices WILL become the reference prices for those same items in the coming years, no matter what.

For local sales over here, it would be fair to say that the prices have already doubled within a year.

hfinn
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by hfinn » Wed May 21, 2008 2:57 pm

But that's true for most everything nowadays. And deals can still be had if you look for them. Truth is analogs are getting more and more rare anyways. Prices would be going up regardless.

Automatic Gainsay
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Minimoog, 2600, CS-15, CS-50, MiniBrute, MicroBrute, S2, Korg MS-20 Mini, 3 Volcas, Pro 2, Leipzig, Pianet T, Wurli 7300, Wurli 145-A, ASR-10, e6400.
Band: Godfrey's Cordial

Post by Automatic Gainsay » Wed May 21, 2008 6:17 pm

Where this auction goes horribly wrong is here:

"PERSPECTIVE: recently a unit nowhere near this pristine condition went for about $1300 on Ebay. So we encourage you to bid realistically. "

Perspective? f**k that. Here is perspective: While this unit is plainly in fantastic condition, there are no guarantees on eBay.
Simply because this seller tells us that one recently went for that price, we may have no evidence that this is the case. There has also been a Solus at some point that went for a ridiculously LOW price. Most importantly: items on eBay go for outrageous prices every once in awhile... sometimes things that have a very established and unchanging value have one instance where an insane person or an overly enthusiastic person or etc. buys something for an absolutely outrageous price. That's fine, but it is not a PRECEDENT to ESTABLISH ACTUAL VALUE. If someone is going to decide the average value of a synth on eBay, that's perfectly fine... but to base it on ONE instance (if it even happened, I haven't checked) is absolutely DECEPTIVE... and then to indicate that bidders should be ashamed of making bids not near that price is downright untrustworthy. I would not buy from a retailer who created a deceptive notion of value, and then tried to bully me into accepting it. All of us, the synth buying community, know that this price is excessive... so, once again... this person is trying to prey on the ignorant and get them to pay more than the average. I encourage anyone to sell anything they want on eBay for whatever price they want, but trying to bully an ignorant idiot into accepting that high price based on a subtley deceptive premise is criminal.

Also, I really don't think synth collectors exist. I have never met one that I know of. I only know people like me who "collect" synths for use. Yes, I'd love to have pristine versions of synths, but I am not going to pay more than the actual average value of that synth for it... because pristine synths shouldn't be played... and an analog synth that isn't played DIES. It is financially unwise to have a synth museum where the synths are played. So, this "this is MUSEUM QUALITY" s**t just doesn't fly with me.
‎"I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." -Charles Babbage
"Unity and Mediocrity are forever in bed together." -Zane W.
http://www.youtube.com/automaticgainsay

Jexus

Post by Jexus » Wed May 21, 2008 7:03 pm

at my place, now both ION and JX3p have the same price [being 500$] which is pretty f**k funny sick

drawtippy
Band: Draw Tippy

Post by drawtippy » Wed May 21, 2008 7:26 pm

Sorry Z, no offense intended!

This is why I love and have bought most of my synths from Craigslist. Now I'm lucky because I live in NYC and a tempting synth listing comes up every couple days. Most of the times I can play and inspect the synth first and even bargain. And better yet, a lot of times I feel like I'm buying from a kindred spirit--when I walk into their place and it looks like mine...full of synths. There are certainly still bargains out there and cool sellers as well.
Visit http://www.arttestmusic.com

Voyager, JP-6, Pro-One, 800DV, CZ-101, VL-1, Micron, Solina, OB-Xa, JX-8P, Sid Station, xoxbox