ARP Solus $1900! You gotta be kidding?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
nvbrkr
Gear: An electric piano and analog synths.

Post by nvbrkr » Wed May 21, 2008 7:53 pm

Bringing up the word "criminal" there is interesting to me, because what this also comes down to is that most everywhere around the world the laws for transaction of 2nd hand items are based on the automatic assumption that used items will sell for far smaller prices than their newer equivalents. The more valuable ones will go usually through the hands of resellers who will also have to pay taxes, as is the case with antique. Furthermore, if a registered reseller or manufacturer makes false claims of the quality of their products they are guilty of false advertising - there is none of that really operational in the case of vintage music gear. If for example a portamento control is broken on a synth that's put on sale, it's not a "small defect".

But unlike most "collectible items", musical gear - and especially analog synths it could be argued - does have a lot of "use value" instead of just being mere decorative items or simple luxury. The problem is that hardly anyone makes anything similar these days, and newer true analogs do mostly have somewhat of a different sound than the old counterparts to many ears. If you take a look at what many seasoned professionals or critically acclaimed electronic musicians are using, they all seem to swear by vintage analog synthesis instead of more readily-available consumer products. That in itself effectively turns these what were more or less tools for the musicians back in the day, into something mythical. That's one of the strangest aspects of capitalism by the way!
Last edited by nvbrkr on Wed May 21, 2008 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Wed May 21, 2008 7:58 pm

No offense taken. I understand that it is frustrating to see these prices these days. Like someone else said, the internet has opened up a worldwide market place for product and you just cannot get the deals that you could. Some deals are still out there, you just have to be patient. Craigslist is a great place to shop nowdays. I try to keep a stash of cash for those deals. I just wish Dallas had more synthheadz.

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Thu May 22, 2008 2:12 am

Almost every item I see on classified ads nowadays makes me laugh - a Juno 106 for £400? A JX-3P for £250? A Rogue for £500? Seems either people are actually paying these crazy, crazy prices or many of the sellers are just fishing for suckers, the latter which I believe to be more likely.

I think it's safe to say that analogue gear is on the constant increase, but with inflation tagged on that's expected anyway. The good news is there's some great deals right now - mostly 80s digital synths or anything that utilises digital parameter access at least.

And the Andromeda is still hovering at about $2000. That's a steal right there!

elmacaco

Post by elmacaco » Thu May 22, 2008 3:29 pm

I don't know about this 'synth buying community' business.

There is no synth buying community, buying is competative, that's why high proces get to people. Convince everybody in your community to not pay high prices and anyone outside your community will reap the benefits.

And posting a high watermark price is a defensive tactic for the jealous people with too much internet time whi will say a price is unrealistic.

Honestly, this is a better fate for great instruments than what happens to yamaha psr's and old pianos. The wealthy will keep them going longer, and even though I'm not one of them, I'm happy they're alive and seen as valuable instead of people finding them in their garage and just chucking them when no one buys it for $50 at their garage sale.

There was a happy period where they were slept on, and most people here missed that, poor musicians benefitted and now that creativity will have to go to other tools. I'm sure Phuture would have loved to find a Fairlight at a garage sale for $250, but instead they used what they had, and frankly, the cheap options now are incredible, from software to forgotten digitals to budget new gear that sounds great, to DIY.

Just because analog was once that doesn't mean we can base all value off of that legacy, and money means different things to different people and it often depends on the amount you have or earn. Some people spend your yaerly rent in a weekend.

but what am doing? expecting passionate folks to be rational! if you can bring down the prices do it.

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Thu May 22, 2008 7:30 pm

elmacaco wrote:
And posting a high watermark price is a defensive tactic for the jealous people with too much internet time whi will say a price is unrealistic.
And what defensive tactic was that?

Seriously, I started this thread because it was interesting to me and thought it might be to others.

I have no desire to own what I once had, that is, an Arp Solus.

Otherwise, you did make some some thoughtful remarks.

Cheers :walk:
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

elmacaco

Post by elmacaco » Fri May 23, 2008 2:53 pm

I meant it is a defensive tactic on the part of the seller, not on your part.

You post a price, and show previous sales around that price as justification for your price.

I find it interesting too. I don;t own a ton of synths and am not bitter about it either, I'm glad the topic came up.

Thanks for your comment.

Phollop Willing PA

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Fri May 23, 2008 3:07 pm

elmacaco wrote:I meant it is a defensive tactic on the part of the seller, not on your part.

You post a price, and show previous sales around that price as justification for your price.

I find it interesting too. I don;t own a ton of synths and am not bitter about it either, I'm glad the topic came up.

Thanks for your comment.
Sorry I misunderstood...

Carry on.

Cheers! #-o
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

Phollop Willing PA

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Sun May 25, 2008 4:28 pm

Update:

Didn't sell...

Arpnutt
Gear: Minimoog Voyager, Virus TI, M3, Radias, PC88, SD1, Mirage, ASR-10, TX81z, Alesis D4, Procussion, JV1010, Arturia V, Omnisphere, Odyssey, Solus, OB8

Post by Arpnutt » Sat May 31, 2008 9:44 pm

I came across that Solus listing the other day and almost fell out of my chair. I bought mine for $450 maybe in 1982. To me it's still worth that much now. Some of listings are crazy. My favorite is the Concertmate MG-1 synth. I think I saw one for over $500!