What was the cheapest Synth you ever bought?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Re: What was the cheapest Synth you ever bought?

Post by Hybrid88 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:25 pm

Steve Jones wrote:6 x EMS synthi Hi-Fli's for $60.00 each. 4 were complete, 2 were missing their foot pedals (I still have those two in the garage, maybe one day I will build a couple of pedal units for them).
Hey, do you sell synths or are you strictly a repair service and parts provider?

:wink:

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:55 pm

killedaway wrote: got the DR-550 for $15; the EA-1 for $60; both locally within the last week. owning the original EA-1 again is like running into a long lost friend! love that Decimator Mod.
Cats are still pretty cheap these days too :lol: (good score on the 550-I saw someone selling a 770 recently for $100 and I really had to hold back. Really loved that drum machine).
Do you even post on vse bro?

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Electribes x 6
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!
Band: killedaway/allyourblood

Post by killedaway » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:13 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:
killedaway wrote: got the DR-550 for $15; the EA-1 for $60; both locally within the last week. owning the original EA-1 again is like running into a long lost friend! love that Decimator Mod.
Cats are still pretty cheap these days too :lol:
i ended up taking more pictures of her in the way than i did without. she just had to see what i was doing. she was "rescued" from a parking lot, so basically free!
(good score on the 550-I saw someone selling a 770 recently for $100 and I really had to hold back. Really loved that drum machine).
a hundred bucks? i maybe would've caved. i love the DR-XX0 series. i had a 660 for years and it was great; easy to sequence and very flexible. tons of useful sounds, the pads were excellent, and it had decent delay and reverb. i sure miss it. back in high school, i used to make whole songs on the thing before i got my first synth (a K4). i would just use the same synth bass patch on everything.

the bummer about this 550, that i wasn't aware of until i bought it, is that it uses the AA batteries to store any edits or patterns. i admit that i hadn't downloaded the manual yet, and after creating a couple quick patterns and editing some of the pads, i switched it off. later, i came back to it and was bummed to find everything gone. i was hoping it just needed a new internal battery, but apparently, that's not the case.

xpander
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: UltraProteus, Xpander, 200e, Minimoogs, Radias, Prophet VS, PolyEvolver, Arp 2600

Post by xpander » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:26 pm

following the DR-550 thread, a year-and-a-half ago a friend's mother was moving and putting together stuff for a garage sale. in the entry way i saw a mint & boxed DR-550. she gave it to me for free!

guitarsandsynths
Band: Brazility

Post by guitarsandsynths » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:39 pm

me so jealous... :)
hfinn wrote:After everything is said and done I picked this up for -$300...

Minimoog ModelD Prophet5 Roland Jupiter8 SH7 GR9 CSQ100 TR606 TR707 TR727 Oberheim OB8 ARP2600 KorgVC10 Rhodes73 Wurlitzer 200A ClavinetII DOTCOM PearlDRX1 TamaTS202 Simmons SDS9

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:16 pm

Hybrid88 wrote:
Steve Jones wrote:6 x EMS synthi Hi-Fli's for $60.00 each. 4 were complete, 2 were missing their foot pedals (I still have those two in the garage, maybe one day I will build a couple of pedal units for them).
Hey, do you sell synths or are you strictly a repair service and parts provider?

:wink:
I am a repairer, occasionally I sell items, but only my own stuff that I no longer use, I am not a dealer.
Synthesizer service tech since 1982.
Synth parts and service, Sydney Australia.

Zonkout
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Salad Shooter, Flowbee, Marsona 1200, Jetta TDI, Original Jams, VCR
Band: Low Red Center

Post by Zonkout » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:02 am

Last weekend my friend picked up a Moog MG-1 for $10 at a garage sale. Yesterday I bought it from him for $100.
It looks pretty beat, but everything works!
I think both of us got a good deal.

The MG-1 is one of the most under-rated/under-priced analog monosynths... if decaying toxic foam doesn't bother you, that is.

plikestechno
Gear: Lots. See sig.

Post by plikestechno » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:11 am

Fine deal. I've been waiting for a cheap MG-1 to show up locally too. I saw one in a pawn shop for $40 here when I was a teenager but I had no idea how to test it so I didn't buy it.
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!

Post by killedaway » Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:30 am

Zonkout wrote:Last weekend my friend picked up a Moog MG-1 for $10 at a garage sale. Yesterday I bought it from him for $100.
It looks pretty beat, but everything works!
I think both of us got a good deal.
very nice score! i've never even seen a Moog in person, besides the LP and Voyager. i'd love to play with one of the old ones.

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:16 am

killedaway wrote: a hundred bucks? i maybe would've caved. i love the DR-XX0 series. i had a 660 for years and it was great; easy to sequence and very flexible. tons of useful sounds, the pads were excellent, and it had decent delay and reverb. i sure miss it. back in high school, i used to make whole songs on the thing before i got my first synth (a K4). i would just use the same synth bass patch on everything.

the bummer about this 550, that i wasn't aware of until i bought it, is that it uses the AA batteries to store any edits or patterns. i admit that i hadn't downloaded the manual yet, and after creating a couple quick patterns and editing some of the pads, i switched it off. later, i came back to it and was bummed to find everything gone. i was hoping it just needed a new internal battery, but apparently, that's not the case.
good to know about the 550-that would probably put me off getting one!

yeah, the 770 was my second MAJOR purchase while also in HS... got it for surprisingly good deal too given it was still pretty new back then. I guess they aren't flashy or feature laden (and they weren't really even back then), but for shear simplicity, sound quality, good pads like you said, there can't be a better machine out there (R8 maybe? too clunky, too old sounding now). Workhorses, like all other Boss products. Very few other drum machines could I imagine having GOOD sounding (i.e. usable!) electronic/dance patterns alongside realistic bongo-laden world beat type stuff, alongside really tight DnB patterns!
Do you even post on vse bro?

killertofu

Post by killertofu » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:58 am

AAgh, I was able to buy a Moog Source for $475 a few days ago, claimed to be in pristine condition. I was the first person to call but the seller was about 60 miles away and I wasnt able to drive out until the weekend (obviously didnt want it bad enough..) He offered to deliver it for a small fee which I agreed to.. But of course someone swooped it up before me. :)

He also had a Roland SH2000 (not sure of the price) But I just saw a Moog Source and SH2000 listed on ebay from a seller in LA. Coincidence? :D If they truely are the person who got them, looks like the Source wasnt in as good of condition as I was told.

killedaway
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Revolution
Monomachine MKII
microKORG
CS01
& more!

Post by killedaway » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:21 pm

i just got these two yesterday:

the MPC was $200. i felt kind of sorry for the guy i bought it from. he said he wanted to learn it, but just couldn't make heads or tails of it, and it'd been sitting around for months with no use. other than the fact that it had a corroborating layer of dust on it, it is MINT. it still had the film on the screen and a couple crispy new manuals to go with it, along with the PSU and a 128MB card. as i'm handing him the cash for the MPC he asks, "know anyone that needs a sampler?" and holds up the SP202. i asked how much, and he tells me fifty bucks. i hold out my wallet, pull out the last bit of cash in it, and tell him, "i've got $36. what do you say?". he thought about it for a moment and said, "well, okay, since you gave me two hundred already." needless to say, i was almost literally floating on my way back to the car. i was already excited for finding an EA-1 for $60 earlier this week, but this just puts things over the top.

i've been using the MPC for hours now, and i think i might be in love. it's my first MPC ever. i'm learning my way around it, but i see i've got some long nights ahead of me, figuring out how to get around with speed and efficiency. as for the SP202, it doesn't have a memory card, which i think is gonna suck. if i recall, it uses the 5v SM cards which are kind of hard to find. but, if i don't get on with it, i'll just sell it some time. just playing with what's on it, though, is really fun. it's cheap, and a little on the wimpy side, but it could be great for triggering vocal samples and random stuff in a live setting.

infrared72

Post by infrared72 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:10 am

I just bought this earlier today for $120.00 - I shortened my lunch at work today so I could run out and go pick it up. It's a Yamaha DX200, and it makes some lovely whacked out FM squelchy noises. I had a minor issue with the data encoder. That was promptly taken care of with contact cleaner:

Peter Teipe

diopter
www.diopter.org
soundcloud.com/diopter

R.L
Gear: lots of stuff
Band: The Roy McCoy Band/ Man Vs Sam

Post by R.L » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:30 am

Roland TR-55 for 50.00
Moog MiniMoog, Yamaha CP-30, Yamaha DX-7, Ensoniq ASR-10, Ensoniq ASR-X, Rhodes MRK 3, Looking for a Roland Super Jupiter, and JP-8000

R.L
Gear: lots of stuff
Band: The Roy McCoy Band/ Man Vs Sam

Post by R.L » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:49 pm

I am going to upload pics of this, because honestly I am still out of breath from carrying this thing down the stairs from this guys apartment but I got an Ensoniq ASR-10 & Custom SKB case for it for 150.00 the topside of the synth is pristine, I even managed to snag almost all the sound cards ensoniq made for it, but I am missing a few of them and he said some of the other disks are corrupted but anyway that is my awesome deal, (how I got so cheaply was this, the guy lets call him "D", was getting divorced so he sold his stuff at sacraficial and fire sale prices so his ex wife wouldn't get them lol.) So it got me a 800.00 sampler/synth and a 400.00 case for 150.00 so I am quite content with that purchase ^_______^
peace,
Roger R.L H3RT2BZ
Moog MiniMoog, Yamaha CP-30, Yamaha DX-7, Ensoniq ASR-10, Ensoniq ASR-X, Rhodes MRK 3, Looking for a Roland Super Jupiter, and JP-8000