What was the cheapest Synth you ever bought?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
plus321

Re: What was the cheapest Synth you ever bought?

Post by plus321 » Mon May 18, 2009 2:38 am

Not nearly as good as a $50 MS-20, but I just got a Roland SH-32 for $30. Some knobs didn't work, but I just opened it up and fixed the broken solder joints and it is good as new. I actually like it. I think I'm going to use it a lot once I figure out the various functions.

But $50 for a functioning MS-20, that is so awesome. I want to get one of those one day.

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't look at the picture closely. I guess it is an MS-10. Still a really good deal.

R.L
Gear: lots of stuff
Band: The Roy McCoy Band/ Man Vs Sam

Post by R.L » Tue May 26, 2009 6:17 pm

though its not a synth by make, but I did get a Rhodes Mark III EK-10 with the lousy synthesizer on board, I hope it doesn't blow out my television
Moog MiniMoog, Yamaha CP-30, Yamaha DX-7, Ensoniq ASR-10, Ensoniq ASR-X, Rhodes MRK 3, Looking for a Roland Super Jupiter, and JP-8000

Synthigraphie
Gear: Alesis Fusion 6HD
Roland Super JX + PG-800
Roland D-50
Akai AX73
ARP Omni I
Korg EA1-Mk2 & ER-Mk2
Yamaha PSR-640, PS-20, PSS-680

Post by Synthigraphie » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:21 pm

Yesterday in a garage sale, found a Yamaha PSS-680 for 2 €
I was very surprised to discover it's not a simple keyboard but a 2 operators FM synthesizer fully editable :shock:

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:24 pm

Synthigraphie wrote:Yesterday in a garage sale, found a Yamaha PSS-680 for 2 €
I was very surprised to discover it's not a simple keyboard but a 2 operators FM synthesizer fully editable :shock:
sweet! awesome deal.. the 680 is the last of the "real synth" portasounds (where you can edit sounds)... The 460 is the first in that series (and has actual sliders). Can you save patches on it?
Do you even post on vse bro?

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:13 am

Sir Ruff wrote:
sweet! awesome deal.. the 680 is the last of the "real synth" portasounds (where you can edit sounds)... The 460 is the first in that series (and has actual sliders). Can you save patches on it?
Yes, but you can only save five of them.
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.

Synthigraphie
Roland Super JX + PG-800
Roland D-50
Akai AX73
ARP Omni I
Korg EA1-Mk2 & ER-Mk2

Post by Synthigraphie » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:10 pm

Sir Ruff wrote:
Yes as said nuketifromorbit you can save 5 patches. It's a pity there are no faders to edit sounds but you can make nice sounds.
I found there a Sysex editor but I can't execute it :?

nuketifromorbit
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by nuketifromorbit » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:24 am

Synthigraphie wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote:
Yes as said nuketifromorbit you can save 5 patches. It's a pity there are no faders to edit sounds but you can make nice sounds.
I found there a Sysex editor but I can't execute it :?
Honestly I don't really miss the sliders that my pss570 had, they where stepped rather than smooth so there isn't really much chance for performance like tweaking. The midi more than makes up for the loss and editing the limited parameters via push buttons still results in a the same surprising amount of versatility.
We'll always be remembered, we'll always be dismembered.

plikestechno
Gear: Lots. See sig.

Post by plikestechno » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:10 am

Nice haul at a pawn shop today.

They'd had a Crumar Multiman S/2 upstairs where people usually don't go because it's not advertised that they have an upstairs. And I've hummed and hawed at getting it forever because it looks perfect but who knows how it will work and if these things are broken they're apparently unfixable but finally today I thought I'm going to go get this thing before somebody else does. Because I do love me a string synth. And I thought working or not, if I give him a hundred bucks, then I won't care if it doesn't work.

So I go there to make a deal on the Crumar and I look behind him at his desk and he's got a DR-110 sitting in its vinyl case looking marvelous that I've never noticed there before. Not a major score but I was hoping to find one locally to try it out as I'd traded away my DR-55 earlier this year for a Pearl SC-40 (Syncussion X) drum brain and heard it had the 808 clap.

He wanted $150 for the DR-110 and the Crumar so I thought if I'm going to do that I want the Alesis MMT-8 that he's got up there doing nothing. Not that an MMT-8 is amazing by any means but I hear it is pretty easy to use and hey I wanted to see if I could get it as a throw in and he said OK.

So long story short for $150 Canadian today I got

-Basically mint Crumar Multiman S/2 (such nice brass filter...oooh.)
-Absolutely mint DR-110 in vinyl case with instruction booklet.
-Absolutely mint Alesis MMT-8 with manual and power supply.

Edmonton is not great for finds but it is always nice to not pay shipping. Who knows what it would cost to get a Mutliman shipped from somewhere?
Serge/Modcan A/MOTM/Frac/Phenol/Andromeda/Jupiter6Europa/OctaveCatSRM/ARPSolina/ARPPro Soloist/Pro2/Korg770/Juno60/Lambda/Anamono/Little Deformer/Integra7/Microwave1&2/Syncussion/FS1R/Microkorg/Xoxio/VL1M/JD990/MKS50/TX816/DSS1/KARP/TG33/OCoast/SC40

Sir Ruff
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Two persimmon modulators and a frequency adjudicator.
Band: Ruff in the jungle

Post by Sir Ruff » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:39 am

Synthigraphie wrote:
Sir Ruff wrote:

Honestly I don't really miss the sliders that my pss570 had, they where stepped rather than smooth so there isn't really much chance for performance like tweaking. The midi more than makes up for the loss and editing the limited parameters via push buttons still results in a the same surprising amount of versatility.
So ditch the 570 and the 680 and get the psr-41 which offers the best of both worlds-slider AND midi! This also has full-size keys (hence the PSR prefix I guess). It also has a "detune" slider instead of the wave slider on the other models. It's not quite a detune, not quite a chorus, depending on the preset patch you pick... But it really thickens up the sound. And because you can actually transpose quite low on this, you end up getting into really gnarly digital distortion territory that you can't get on the 470.
Probably my favorite "cheap" keyboard ever... I could easily make a whole album with it if I cared enough to do so :lol:
Do you even post on vse bro?

FrankenZappa

Post by FrankenZappa » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:48 am

yamaha dx-100 - $10

Synthigraphie
Roland Super JX + PG-800
Roland D-50
Akai AX73
ARP Omni I
Korg EA1-Mk2 & ER-Mk2

Post by Synthigraphie » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:21 pm

An mint Casio SK1 in its box . Not very useful but some fun with it ! :lol:
Last edited by Synthigraphie on Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zorkmid
Gear: synthesizers.com MODULAR
PolyMoog Minimoog Satellite Etherwave sh1000 D50/D550 A80 S330 Space Echo EMU E5Kultra K3R dual MAM-11 vocoders
Band: "BlondeLogic"

Post by Zorkmid » Wed Jun 17, 2009 3:30 am

a cherry Arp 2600 for $50, it wasn't working and the owner had been laid off in the 1991 Aerospace Recession.
(turned out to be a catastrophic power supply failure, all that smoke made him *positive* it was a goner!) I
bought it figuring the case was better looking than mine and there would be some usable parts...HEH!

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:18 am

WTF :shock:

Push-Pull

Post by Push-Pull » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:51 am

pflosi wrote:WTF :shock:
As you say...

Today, an old Proteus1 in mint condition for 70$. And it sounds pretty good for a 20 years old module ! 8)
The making of my modular... (ok it's in french, but the pictures are easy to understand !)

Old Iron Giant
Gear: Virus Ti2, Indig2, EmuXL7, Microkorg.
Band: KHz+

Post by Old Iron Giant » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:42 am

Free???
$10.+??
where do you find deals like this :lol:
seriously though.....

------
Cheapest Synth Iv bought:
ReadSound-DarkStarXP2 $40. - Craigslist