What was the cheapest Synth you ever bought?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
pinky_blue

Re: What was the cheapest Synth you ever bought?

Post by pinky_blue » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:00 pm

Just got an AKAI S3000XL - gratis.

Not technically a synth I know, but I'm not complaining.

omvibes
Gear: Electro 3 73, Creamware Minimax, Virus KC, D50, Novation Nova, MMT-8, Moog Liberation, Elka DMP-18 foot pedals. Many others have come and gone...

Post by omvibes » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:37 pm

Proving that bargains can still be found, I've just seen an Arp Pro Soloist for sale here in Europe....for 50 euros.... :shock: well, that's what it says in the advert. I've sent an email, but I'm sure its already long gone...

Missed out on a Nord Electro Rack 2 in Austria a few days back at 290 euros, and I've seen a Clavinet C (in reasonable condition) for about 300 euros recently - don't know much about Clavinets, is that a good price?

The bargains are to be found it seems, but they go fast...

dustinh
Gear: juno-1, ensoniq sq-80, dsi mopho, microbrute, gretsch guitars, motu 2408, monotron, and caffeine

Post by dustinh » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:30 pm

The cheapest synth I ever bought is probably my favorite one so far! I recently got an ensoniq SQ-80 for $150

CraigM
Gear: Roland RS-09, Yamaha CS-5, MiniKorg K2, Elka Rhapsody 610, Rhodes Chroma
Band: Feral Cross

Post by CraigM » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:22 pm

Rhodes Chroma for $100.

Had been sitting in it's case for 20 years. Was sold as non working. I was able to get it fired up and it worked for a day but now it won't power on.

MiniKorg K2 for $50 from same seller above.

Had also been sitting for 20 years and was caked in dust. Cleaned it up and it looks and sounds great.

Roland JP-8000 for $200 a few years back.
Last edited by CraigM on Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nvining
Gear: CS80, Chroma, Synclavier, DK Synergy II+, Matrix 12, Memorymoog+, CS20m, Clavinet, AlphaSyntauri, Korg Micropreset, Lexicon 480L, Otari RADAR

Post by nvining » Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:42 am

CraigM: Damn, you got those?! Curse you - you must have beaten me by 5 minutes. :)

That said, it sounds to me like something blew up after deciding that the strain of working was too much for it. :) PM me if you decide you don't want to take on a Rhodes Chroma overhaul project; I've been looking for a good project board to work on.

That also said, this is just one example of how the synth gods are hating me this week. Things I've missed so far this month: $300 Polymoog, $300 ARP Quadra (!!!), $300 Korg MS-10, these... *sigh*
"We have to remember that Moogs, ARPs and all of the first synths had been created by raging madmen." - Jean-Michael Jarre

gtivr6fan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Fifth
Band: Hotboxer, Supremotron

Post by gtivr6fan » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:00 am

One of our distributers and I talk music from time to time, he just gave me a Prophet 600 for free. Its seen a lot of use and is not in working order, but for free? I think Ill rehab this one. :D

gridsleep
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Das Vorlagengehirn
Band: Big Steam Horse

Post by gridsleep » Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:36 pm

@plikestechno: You are a lucky essohbee. Don't take it for granted or the wish fairies will come for you and even Fox Mulder won't be able to explain to the police how your body got flayed and twisted up like that at the same time.

The cheapest synthesizer I ever bought was just recently, a circuit bent Conair Soothing Sound Machine customized by Dave Barnes, better known as Dr. Frankenspeak, or slapstix1 on eBay. It's a silver teardrop a little bigger than my hand with a big black volume knob in the top center, eleven small buttons around half that button's perimeter, and, added by Barnes, an RCA audio out, a rheostat with a rubber ball for a knob (red, yellow and blue swirly, the kind of little "superballs" made from waste foam rubber that you buy from gum ball machines), and two metal rivet heads covering part of the word "Conair" printed on the inside curve of the teardrop. It makes ten sounds from stream to waterfall with rain and thunderstorm and bird songs, heartbeat, white noise, etc, and the rheostat controls the frequency, so the sounds can go from normal to "stop....dave...this...is...kil...ling.........meeee....." slowness. Sub frequency oscillation can be jiggled by wetting the finger and touching it to the two rivet heads. Touching the RCA jack at the same time makes even weirder interference. Yes, I class this as a synthesizer, and I only paid $65 for it. It's an electronic device that plays sampled sounds (already that's getting into sampler territory, even though this has fixed samples) and now that the samples can be altered on playback, that's synthesis.

Now, if you want to talk about the best deal we ever got on a synthesizer, that would have to be either my Kawai MP8 II, which I bought as a demo (spotless) from Sweetwater for half off (and I do count electric pianos as synthesizers, just specialty ones, but my Kawai has a full bank named Synthesizer with real synthesizer type sounds that can be modified just like any "real" synthesizer), and my Ensoniq ZR-76, which I got for about 1/4 it's original price, and the only flaw is the lowest two keys' return springs either fell off or snapped in shipping and I got replacements for 95¢ each and will fix a.s.a.p.
Nymph, in thy orisons be all my synths remembered.

Doci
Gear: Korg Prophecy, Korx X3, Korg M1R, UC-33e, Alesis Micron, Lvl. 12 Slowpoke, Dingus Egg
Band: Docipede

Post by Doci » Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:20 am

Got a Viscount BX-10 Midi organ for 25 quid. Well worth it for oversized novelty midi controller action (pedals too).

For actual synth, just got an M1R for 105. Bless you, vague eBay descriptions.

sponstage

Post by sponstage » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:20 am

Hi guys, just found this community and I already love it! :)

I got an Emu Proteus 1 for $50 few months ago on ebay and I just got a used Korg T3ex in very good condition for $200 at Guitar Center! I love this keyboard!

skizzle
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by skizzle » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:37 am

Siel dk-70 for $80

Nannerfan
Gear: Akai AX-60, AX-80, S612
Arturia Microbrute
Roland D-550, TR-8
Yamaha QY700, SU700, TX81Z

Post by Nannerfan » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:46 am

Akai AX-80 for $80

Logan 5
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Logan 5

Post by Logan 5 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:22 am

Not a classic synth by any means,but a few years ago I bought a Yamaha VSS 30 at an Edinburgh 'car-boot sale' for £2.Mint in box!
Just saw one go on Ebay for over £70,they are great little samplers!

Also this week scored a Casio HT 700 for £6.49 on Ebay!
FUSION 6HD,MICROKORG,CS2X,EM-1,SH32,HT700,MMT-8,SU10,VSS30,ION IED04,RT323,SYNSONICS DRUMS
NO COMPUTER!

http://logan5.bandcamp.com
http://soundcloud.com/logan5-1

vladimotor
Gear: V-Synth, Kurzweil PC3le6, Akai Miniak, Korg MicroX, Godin Solidac, Breedlove AC25, Live, Samplitude pro, Zebra, Z3ta, Imposcar, Absynth 4, FM8, Pro53

Post by vladimotor » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:12 pm

Yamaha TG33 - $70

georgemarauder

Post by georgemarauder » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:56 pm

Lots of really good deals in this thread.

Cheapest synth I ever purchased was one of about four or five Microkorgs that I have owned. I paid $125 for it from some underage kid, and it had marker writing all on the back of it. I cleaned it up pretty easily and sold it for $300.

Best deal I ever got was probably paying $1000ish (can't remember exactly) for a Jupiter 6, and then flipping it for 2 grand. Made my biggest profit ever in only a few days. It was sweet. I wish I could find more deals like that one :)

mharris80
Gear: Korg M1
MicroKorg
Ensoniq ASR 88
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Roland JX-8P
Roland MKS-50
Yamaha RX7
M Audio Oxygen 49
AV Linux

Post by mharris80 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:41 pm

ESQ-1 with 2 cartridges and a hard case for $140.