tempo on a 303

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
princefan3

tempo on a 303

Post by princefan3 » Wed May 21, 2008 5:16 pm

would like to know how to programme the fastest set of notes that you

can get from the 303...

ive heard 303s go mad on some records...so would it be beacause they

have been midi up,that they can produce such a fast pace....

and keep in time... thanks for any replys..

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Wed May 21, 2008 5:21 pm

Send it a 4000hz square wave on the Dinsync jack's clock lead. :lol:
Seriously, whatever is sending the Bassline Dinsync, just have it clocked faster than the tempo knob can produce. I dunno about some kind of flaw/feature when the tempo is blindingly fast, but it certainly would make the slides unpredictable.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

princefan3

Post by princefan3 » Wed May 21, 2008 5:35 pm

thanks for such a quick reply soldierman....

i din sync it from a novation drumstation...which sets the pace...therefore

if i want the 303 to go faster....the drum pattern then sounds too fast...

how do i overcome this...sorry im not a teckie head...thanks.

micahjonhughes

Post by micahjonhughes » Wed May 21, 2008 5:43 pm

Program a measure of beats to take two measures of time rather than one. Then the 303 will play at twice the tempo of the drums.

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Wed May 21, 2008 5:45 pm

well the 303 only produces a bpm range of 40-300, i know some midi sequencers can produce a faster tempo than 300, but i think most set their range to 320bpm max. But that's only useful if your doing fast dutch hardcore gabba.
| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Post by Zamise » Thu May 22, 2008 12:36 am

Some of that gabba stuff could be sped up after recording which usually pitches them higher too. Just a thought, cause I know I've heard vocals in that kind of music pitched up sometimes, and it is also possible to speed up and still preserve the pitch with some post editing methods. I'm thinking turntable speeds as well for vinyl, maybe even CD mixers now days as well as other softwares and effects processors can pretty easily do it. I imagine some was probably sampled into MPCs or other samplers as a pitched voice a measure or two long perhaps, and then they just sped it up by using a higher note, then finding good loop points for matching tempo with note lengths etc...blah blah balh can work too, tricks like that I imagine can produce a lot of faster tempos and bpm rates. I've sampled my 303 like that into my RS7000, and though it seems people frown on that, but hey its less wear on my 303s cut & res knobs and much easier to sequence so I don't care what they think.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]