Bass Station Rack

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
AstroDan

Bass Station Rack

Post by AstroDan » Thu May 22, 2008 12:57 am

So this has VCOs that do "analog sound modeling"? What does this mean?
Too futurist to live.

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Thu May 22, 2008 1:10 am

DCO's. Couldn't tell ya about the modeling, she's kinda ugly.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

AstroDan

Post by AstroDan » Thu May 22, 2008 1:31 am

I just don't understand the ASM part.

It's like having an all-tube amp and saying "the tubes in this amp really make it sound like a tube amp."
Too futurist to live.

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Thu May 22, 2008 1:48 am

plenty of discussions in the past about this, the ASM doesn't make sense fo sho. DCO's and the analog fitlters, I kind of like the filter...

Overall, to my ears the BS sounds plasticky and generic. The little keyboard version is cute and it was my first synth but the nostaligia is not worth having a crappy sounding synth IMO! I could see why people like having the cv out.
for sale/trade: EML-101

nadafarms
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by nadafarms » Thu May 22, 2008 1:50 am

The prophet 08 is dcos too, maybe it should be called ASM? kidding. :D
for sale/trade: EML-101

whiteyhouston

Post by whiteyhouston » Thu May 22, 2008 2:16 am

it's weird because to me, the bs rack still sounds great.. I've got loads of bigger n better gear but I still use my bass station frequently..

otto
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by otto » Thu May 22, 2008 3:33 am

I liked the sound but didn't like the small knobs and kinda crappy build. midi to CV was nice too while I still owned a "vintage synth". When these sold for $150 IMO they were a great value for the $. I wouldn't pay $300-$400 for one though.
hello darkness, my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

Cybananna

Post by Cybananna » Thu May 22, 2008 5:06 am

Where is everyone getting that the BassStation Rack has ASM. the topic comes up every few months it seems.

I have the manual right in front of me and ASM or Analog Sound Modeling is not written in it anywhere I can find. On the cover it clearly says Analogue Synthesizer Module and in the introduction it also says it's Analogue and uses Analogue synthesis (that doesn't mean subtractive which of course is used in the BSR and in their ASM synths, unless it's a miss-stated reference to subtractive).

It doesn't say VCO or DCO, but I agree that based on the sound, it's probably DCO.

I'm just not sure where this misinformation keeps coming from, i'm just curious. It may be hard to tell in writing, but I'm not trying to be a j**k, I just don't understand.

Syn303
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: Quite a bit...
Band: Syn303

Post by Syn303 » Thu May 22, 2008 10:31 am

| syn303.bandcamp.com | soundcloud.com/syn303 |

Cybananna

Post by Cybananna » Thu May 22, 2008 12:16 pm

I read the article and did a search for ASM and "modeling". That's not mentioned anywhere I could find.

However it does say 'Analogue Synthesiser Module' which is not ASM and

"On the subject of oscillators, the BassStation's are not true VCOs (Voltage Controlled Oscillators) in the Pro One sense, but are in fact based on digitally-synchronised, analogue ramp generators from which are derived the sawtooth and pulse waves. This reduces dither and instability considerably when compared to a traditional VCO, though some purists may feel that a degree of instability is part of the character of a true analogue synth. Whatever the technicalities, I don't feel the BassStation has quite the same 'warmth' as my Pro One, but then again, I'd prefer to stay in tune any day of the week!"

That is describing a DCO not a modeled osc at all. It even says they are analogue! "analogue ramp generators"

AstroDan

Post by AstroDan » Thu May 22, 2008 2:23 pm

I believe the confusion comes from mis-information on the description here on VSE:

"The BassStation has dual-VCO's which use analog Sound Modeling(ASM) to generate basic saw and pulse waveforms."

It does in fact sound like it has DCOs.

Funny that article was written in '95 talking about "when the current 303 fad dies away soon". I'd say in the last 13 years it's gotten nuttier every year. The TB-303 killed the American economy.

I like the Bass Station.
Too futurist to live.

oldmasterjds

Post by oldmasterjds » Thu May 22, 2008 3:44 pm

I'm surprised that the BSR is not a well liked synth? I find it very usefull and i certainly wouldn't sell it.

Can't say the DCO thing makes me like my Gnat or Juno 6 any less either?! :)
An embarrassment of riches and a debt to match...

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Thu May 22, 2008 4:16 pm

Another + vote for the BSR's character. My only complaint on the DCO's is that they aren't really that bright sounding. Very Flat with no filter resonance. It has a very "nasal" quality with the resonance up, and the 4 pole filter overdrives nicely. I connected its CV/Gate outputs to my Pro~One and ran the Pro~One's audio out to the BSR's Filter In for a Midi controlled four-oscillator synth. Levels were tricky, but once properly set, it made for some juicy,fat bass sounds!
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.

th0mas
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: oakley tm3030/mopho keys/midibox sid/tr-707/tama techstars/monotron
Band: GRAVITRONIC

Post by th0mas » Thu May 22, 2008 4:39 pm

Solderman wrote: Very Flat with no filter resonance. It has a very "nasal" quality with the resonance up,
yes, this is my biggest problem with the BS (I have a keyboard version). In a mix this "nasal" quality sticks out and ends up sounding very digital and toyish. If I turn down the resonance I find the BS gets lost in the mix. I'm most likely doing something wrong, and I like jamming on the thing, and recording a simple mix with it is okay, but once it's bass/drums/guitar/pads and the BS for lead I find it hard to make it clear but not nasal.

Solderman
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Solderman » Thu May 22, 2008 5:18 pm

I agree it's hard to get it noticable into a mix with no resonance. I usually end up with 2 pole, resonance up, with cutoff very high for leads, due to the lack of brightness.
Last edited by Solderman on Thu May 22, 2008 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am no longer in pursuit of vintage synths. The generally absurd inflation from demand versus practical use and maintenance costs is no longer viable. The internet has suffocated and vanquished yet another wonderful hobby. Too bad.
--Solderman no more.