Touchpads

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
tom Cadillac
Gear: FS1R, EPS, JP8000, Kaos pad, Ineko, SP606, Mopho, MP7 and so on....
Band: Bipolarbass

Touchpads

Post by tom Cadillac » Fri May 23, 2008 3:53 am

I'm really enjoying the touchpad on my new JP8000 and also really like the mini kaos pad. I wanted to know more about these - how they work, what synths etc use them, stand alone touchpad midi things? and what other people thpought of them as a means of expression. Cheers!
"On the following day , the sorcery undespairingly continued: I changed my series, chose other sequences, cut other lengths, spliced different progressions, and hoped afresh for a miracle in sound." (Stockhausen)

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Fri May 23, 2008 10:16 am

I'm enjoying touch pad a lot. the best pad from my synth is the one in the Trinity, followed by the X-stn and AN1x.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

Yoozer
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Touchpads

Post by Yoozer » Fri May 23, 2008 11:51 am

tom Cadillac wrote:I wanted to know more about these - how they work
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/ces200120.htm
what synths etc use them
Yamaha: AN1x, CS6x, Motif ES/XS, EX5, CS80
Korg: Trinity, Korg Triton, M3, OASYS, Z1, Prophecy
Moog Voyager
Teisco 110F
Alesis Andromeda
Several Kurzweil synths ("ribbon controller")
Several Novation controllers/synths
stand alone touchpad midi things?
Kaoss Pad, and in a lesser form, the Korg PadKontrol.
and what other people thpought of them as a means of expression.
I'm always a bit worried about the lifetime of these things, and only the Kaoss pad 3 shows the position; so whenever you "grab" it the controlled parameters may suddenly jump.

Those which have a Z-parameter (pressure) combined with the X/Y are nice though.
"Part of an instrument is what it can do, and part of it is what you do to it" - Suzanne Ciani, 197x.

ReaPeR
Gear: Fusion 6HD
Waldorf Q Rack
DSI Evolver Desktop
Roland VK-8m

and other various FX/softhings

Post by ReaPeR » Fri May 23, 2008 12:15 pm

i only use the ribbon controller of my ax-7... i assing pitch bend to various modulation instead of pitch and use it a lot, but i would have liked that the dead zone was smaller and the response more linear (i feel a more exponential response )

anyway i've heard that ribbon controllers are more resisten that pitch wheels (maybe because of less mechanical moving parts)

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Re: Touchpads

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Fri May 23, 2008 12:51 pm

tom Cadillac wrote:I'm really enjoying the touchpad on my new JP8000 and also really like the mini kaos pad. I wanted to know more about these - how they work, what synths etc use them, stand alone touchpad midi things? and what other people thought of them as a means of expression. Cheers!
I really like them a lot! I especially like the 'log' on my Korg Prophecy.

I also love the JP 8000.

I have a feeling that we're going to see more 'touch pad' type controllers.

I'm also 'iffy' about where the touch pad is located on the Moog Voyager but am slowly getting used to it. Anyway, I can always midi the Prophecy to the Voyager. (Now if I can only figure out how to 'configure' the parameters.
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18