Worst Yamaha Synth EVER!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Re-Member
Gear: Juno-60, SH-101, TR-606, JP-8000, MC-505, CZ-101, DX100, DX11, R3, microSTATION, Monotribe, MS-20 Mini, SQ-1, Volca Series, Minilogue, Moog Theremin

Post by Re-Member » Fri May 23, 2008 8:29 pm

I saw one of these recently at a local trade in music store...

Yamaha DJ-X

Imagine an MC-303, but without being able to program your own sequences.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Fri May 23, 2008 8:42 pm

The 3 stooges
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

ItsMeOnly
Gear: Wavestation, K3m, TG77, MOXF6, D-550, S2000, DeepMind 12, Model D;
Broken: DX100, 01R/W, U-220

Post by ItsMeOnly » Fri May 23, 2008 8:45 pm

Gentlemen, we're talking synths- not portable keyboards (if someone sees such as synth, well, I simply have no comments then)...

Well, and my vote goes for... VL series, not only has Yamaha missed the opportunity of harnessing DSP power (and got quickly overrun by others), but
they made it outrageous expensive. Even the "budget" VL-70m has all the potential, it is however, dumbed-down by software.

Phollop Willing PA
Gear: Korg, Moog, Roland, Alesis, ARP, Yamaha, Future Retro

Post by Phollop Willing PA » Fri May 23, 2008 8:54 pm

ItsMeOnly wrote:Gentlemen, we're talking synths- not portable keyboards (if someone sees such as synth, well, I simply have no comments then)...
I think they're legitimate entries, but I'll go with general consensus otherwise.

PS there might be ladies as well posting eh?
MOOGSig: Voyager/Theremin, ROLAND: JP8000/MC505/MC50/SH1000/Octapad1/RE 20, CASIO VLtone, KORG: Prophecy/MS2000R/Kaos Pad2/D3200/D888/SDD4000/M3, BOSS SP202/DR110, YAMAHA:CS40M/QX7/WX7/QY10/Reface DX, ARP Exp, MACBETH M5, FR ORB, SONNET, ALESIS SR18

ItsMeOnly
Gear: Wavestation, K3m, TG77, MOXF6, D-550, S2000, DeepMind 12, Model D;
Broken: DX100, 01R/W, U-220

Post by ItsMeOnly » Fri May 23, 2008 8:55 pm

Phollop Willing PA wrote:
ItsMeOnly wrote:Gentlemen, we're talking synths- not portable keyboards (if someone sees such as synth, well, I simply have no comments then)...
I think they're legitimate entries, but I'll go with general consensus otherwise.

PS there might be ladies as well posting eh?
not until now :D

anonimouse

Post by anonimouse » Fri May 23, 2008 10:17 pm

th0mas wrote:+1 on the shs-10. Not because of what it is, but because of what people are lying about it being.. people try to sell this as a professional keytar for $300 to catch in on a resurgent keytar craze.
yea i used to have one of these, they are a complete joke. i went on ebay a few years ago when i needed a cheap midi controller and saw one on there for an obscene amount of money, couldn't believe it

and has there ever been a keytar craze other than the cheeze metal bands of the 80s?
:sign12:

tim gueguen

Post by tim gueguen » Sat May 24, 2008 12:15 am

nathanscribe wrote:And I suppose Yamaha were largely responsible for the shift to people using presets and not programming things.
Nah, that would be Sequential Circuits. Supposedly most Prophet 5s sent to SCI for repairs came back with some or most of their prests intact.
Keys: Realistic Concertmate 500, Korg K25, Korg Micro X

Guits: '86 Fender Japan '50s Reissue Strat, '80 Aria Pro II TS-300 Thor Sound

Analog Freak

Post by Analog Freak » Sat May 24, 2008 3:31 am

Worst Yamaha synthesizer ever? That's easy, the FB-01. No front panel editing at all, weird footprint (desktop module), ugly, and it sounds horrible no matter what you do with it. Seriously, I've heard old sound cards that can do better FM than an FB-01 can. I wouldn't take one if you gave it to me, al right I would, but I'd turn it around and sell it towards another hit of my synthesizer addiction. The VL series were good synthesizers, they just cost far too much and were not marketed very well. And yes, if the DJX series count as synthesizers, get me a hammer.
"All Your Synthesizers Are Belong To Us!" Literally.

nickeax

Post by nickeax » Sat May 24, 2008 4:29 am

Speaking from experience, I can't fault any Yamaha product. You always seem to get 'more' with their gear. Take the QY-70 for example!

As for the DX-7, I can't really say. I've only owned one for one day and am halfway through the manual. But from this, it looks like one of the most interesting toys I've ever owned. I keep having to remind my self of the era this thing came out!

gordwiebe
Gear: motif ES rack +cards, alesis fusion, E-MU PX7 + cards, siel MONO

Post by gordwiebe » Sat May 24, 2008 5:42 am

hey come on!
The first djx was my first "synth" and actually doesn't sound that bad for the price (especially now - $80!)... it was very limited but sounded way better to my ears than the roland grooveboxes (303,505). Seeing that pic at the top of the page makes me want to get one again. I knew that thing inside and out and could get some great (unintentional) sounds out of it. I think I was more productive/creative on the djx than I am now with loads of "professional" gear.

OK, worst Yamaha? I'll put my vote in for the fb-01 and the djxIIb - what the h**l was that all about? I think any time a product designer comes up with something new and interesting at Yamaha they are reminded of the IIb and the project is scrapped.

I'm quite the fan of a lot of Yamahas synths/sound but unfortunately I haven't been able to say that about the last few years of their uninspired output.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Sat May 24, 2008 11:10 am

I love the SHS10. I bought it for EUR5 and sold it for almost EUR120. Yes, it's a piece of c**p, but if people want to bid silly money on it, I'm happy.

Sexor
Gear: Prophet6, Jupiter-7, MS25, Juno-50, TR-303, Rhodes 63

Post by Sexor » Sat May 24, 2008 3:53 pm

Beat me to it!

I can't believe I actually HAD one of these - it was butt-ugly and unbearably horrible to program... except of course the volume :!:
On top of it all, I think it was deliberately mocking me when it decided to crash its operating system and die. Or maybe it just really knew what a dog it was and couldn't handle the shame anymore...

Well, it's not like I miss it...
Monkey business since 2007!

Johnny Lenin
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: JX8P | AX60 | Little Phatty Stage II | DW8000 | Vox Jag | Fantom X6 | Juno-G | P-Bass | AS-120 | Double Jet

Post by Johnny Lenin » Sat May 24, 2008 4:28 pm

Sexor wrote:Image
What's the large circular control on the front panel? Oversized data wheel?

BlackGnosis
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: See signature image.
Band: Eridani V

Post by BlackGnosis » Sat May 24, 2008 5:30 pm

I know I am alone in saying this but I hate the motif series...

I didnt like how it was setup, I liked its woods and acoustic sounds but everything else sounded like it came off a rompler [badum pssh!] I'm happier with a more digital sounding x-50, actually come to think of it, the only two yamaha's I ever liked were the AN-- series and the CS-2. flame all you want I just have picky preferences. or maybe I have a few hiding in the shadows who fully agree with me.... as for the DX7, Roland D-50 was better in my opinion, even though a lot of my favorite artists used the yamaha...

I exclude my first synth which was a PSR-3, especially since its unlikely I'll ever find one =P.
Ashe37 wrote:I find it funny that you're a guitar pedal snob and yet don't own a single analog synth.

BlackGnosis
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: See signature image.
Band: Eridani V

Post by BlackGnosis » Sat May 24, 2008 5:34 pm

I know I am alone in saying this but I hate the motif series...

I didnt like how it was setup, I liked its woods and acoustic sounds but everything else sounded like it came off a rompler [badum pssh!] I'm happier with a more digital sounding x-50, actually come to think of it, the only two yamaha's I ever liked were the AN-- series and the CS-2. flame all you want I just have picky preferences. or maybe I have a few hiding in the shadows who fully agree with me.... as for the DX7, Roland D-50 was better in my opinion, even though a lot of my favorite artists used the yamaha...

I exclude my first synth which was a PSR-3, especially since its unlikely I'll ever find one =P.
Ashe37 wrote:I find it funny that you're a guitar pedal snob and yet don't own a single analog synth.